Author Topic: Lewiston, Maine shooting  (Read 3103 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Lewiston, Maine shooting
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2023, 11:08:28 AM »
On the news this morning they said that a boat he owns is missing. Maybe escape attempt or suicide at sea. Though they didn't say what kind of boat or if he kept it on the coast. I supposed he could have gone down the river, but I'd assume they'd be searching there.

Saw it reported as a 12ft jet ski but also he did own a boat in the past.
Seeing some speculation he may off himself in some secluded hidden spot to keep the fear going. Who knows, maybe at sea or a river.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2023, 11:13:31 AM »
Speaking of hearing voices

Many people hear voices in other countries.
    The difference is those countries don’t let civilians have AR-15s
    — David Hogg 🟧 (@davidhogg111) October 26, 2023
https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/10/27/david-hogg-people-in-other-countries-hear-voices-n2389079
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2023, 11:52:00 AM »
My wife and I think they will find his body in the forest with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2023, 01:41:33 PM »
Investigators searched Card’s car yesterday and recovered a .308-caliber AR-15 rifle, according to a law enforcement official. A second law enforcement official told CNN that the weapon is similar in description and caliber to the gun used in the attack.
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/lewiston-maine-mass-shootings-10-27-23/index.html

Note they still call it an AR-15. I would actually be somewhat shocked if they didn't.
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2023, 02:23:30 PM »
Oh look, an upcoming Presidential election! Oh look, a tailor made scenario for gun control against the Right!
Too often an occurring pattern to be a coincident.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2023, 03:35:44 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/lewiston-maine-mass-shootings-10-27-23/index.html

Note they still call it an AR-15. I would actually be somewhat shocked if they didn't.

If a .223 millimeter caliber AR-15 super assault weapon turns bones to powder (I heard that on the news yesterday) what will a .308 caliber gauge AR-15 assault weapon do to someone?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2023, 03:52:17 PM »
If a .223 millimeter caliber AR-15 super assault weapon turns bones to powder (I heard that on the news yesterday) what will a .308 caliber gauge AR-15 assault weapon do to someone?

556 is bigger than 308  :P
I'm waiting to hear some MSM "gun expert" to say something to the effect of thank goodness it wasn't 556 or this would have been a lot worse

Before someone says "actually..." Yes I know
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2023, 04:20:46 PM »
556 is bigger than 308  :P
I'm waiting to hear some MSM "gun expert" to say something to the effect of thank goodness it wasn't 556 or this would have been a lot worse

Before someone says "actually..." Yes I know

You are onto something there. After all the AR15 must be much more powerful, at least half again, as the AR10. Thank all the deities  they haven't found out about the AR180 yet.  :facepalm:

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2023, 06:52:53 PM »
The gun that investigators believe the Lewiston mass shooting suspect, Robert Card, used to kill 18 people and wound 13 others was purchased legally just days before he was hospitalized and ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation, multiple law enforcement sources told CNN.

What we know about the weapon: The rifle was a Ruger SFAR, chambered for high-powered .308 ammunition, the sources said.

The .308 round is favored by military snipers firing at long distances and big game hunters. It's larger and more powerful than the regular ammunition carried in the rifles of soldiers and SWAT teams.

One of the challenges in identifying victims at the two crime scenes from Wednesday's mass shooting was nearly all the victims were shot in the head, rendering some of them unrecognizable, a law enforcement source told CNN.

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2023, 07:04:16 PM »
Maine reportedly has a "Yellow Flag" law which according to some of what I'm seeing could have been triggered but wasn't.
The different between Red and Yellow Flag laws are, if I'm reading this right, is that under Yellow Flag laws the person needs to be evaluated and deemed a threat by a medical professional before firearms can be seized, Red Flag laws remove that requirement.

Two articles ~1 year apart.

Maine's 'yellow flag' law scrutinized as 'woefully weak' after mass shooting
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/maines-yellow-flag-law-scrutinized-woefully-weak-mass-shooting-rcna122541

From 2022

Maine's 'yellow flag' law could be a model for gun control, but legal experts say it has limitations
https://www.mainepublic.org/politics/2022-07-01/maines-yellow-flag-law-could-be-a-model-for-gun-control-but-legal-experts-say-it-has-limitations
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2023, 09:31:07 PM »
Not much in the way of details yet

Maine mass shooting manhunt: Robert Card found dead, law enforcement sources say
https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/lewiston-maine-mass-shooting-october-27
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2023, 09:32:11 PM »
Breaking news. The suspect found dead in the woods from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2023, 09:58:50 PM »
He had been fired from his job at a recycling plant, and had split from a recent partner.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12682155/Maine-mass-shooter-dead-woods-two-gunshot-wounds-head-sources-say.html

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you usually see the term partner used when the relationship is "non-traditional" so to speak?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2023, 11:30:08 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12682155/Maine-mass-shooter-dead-woods-two-gunshot-wounds-head-sources-say.html

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you usually see the term partner used when the relationship is "non-traditional" so to speak?

I believe that is correct.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2023, 01:10:38 AM »

That's usually correct in the USA.  However, in the UK the term partner is also used to refer to someone of the opposite sex in a relationship with another person.  The story is from the UK Daily Mail.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2023, 07:08:31 AM »
That's usually correct in the USA.  However, in the UK the term partner is also used to refer to someone of the opposite sex in a relationship with another person.  The story is from the UK Daily Mail.

Yeah, thought about the UK angle after I posted. But did the use of the term partner come from the DM or a source in the US?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 07:37:29 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2023, 07:26:25 AM »
And a AR-10/LR-308 would level the forest

Joy Behar: "If you shoot with an AR-15, let's say you shoot a deer, you can't eat it because you basically demolish the animal."

Lol who wants to tell her?

pic.twitter.com/XMdm0waOkZ
    — DC_Draino (@DC_Draino) October 27, 2023
https://twitchy.com/justmindy/2023/10/27/joy-behar-the-view-deer-ar-15-the-view-n2389121
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2023, 08:09:15 AM »
I have heard "partner" for traditional relationships for a couple of decades. It all depends on where you live. Enlightened liberals like to say it as a way to normalize non-traditional relationships. I heard "partner" way more than "husband" or "wife" back in Santa Barbara. Here in sticksville, I don't think I have ever heard someone say "partner" unless it's their business partner.

In fact back in Santa Barbara, at least a couple of times, somebody thought I was gay because I said something like, "I'm hooking up with my partner this weekend to go quail hunting". Because boomers call guys they do stuff with partners and buddies*. But just like "gay" no longer means "happy", "partner" apparently doesn't actually mean "partner" anymore.

*Also, "hooking up" doesn't mean what it did when I was a kid. Don't even ask me how many times I nearly got into sexual harassment trouble at work because I said I was hooking up with a female coworker.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2023, 08:17:07 AM »
My buddy in Colorado came by and visited while he was in town visiting his mom. He introduced me to his partner he's been with for a couple years, she is a cute little thing but man was she a raging lefty.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2023, 08:25:25 AM »
You are onto something there. After all the AR15 must be much more powerful, at least half again, as the AR10. Thank all the deities  they haven't found out about the AR180 yet.  :facepalm:

bob
And just think, we fought - and won! - a WAR with a lowly M1, only 1/15 as powerful as the AR15.

Breaking news. The suspect found dead in the woods from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Too bad he didn't start his spree that way.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2023, 09:30:10 AM »

Too bad he didn't start his spree that way.

Unfortunately some shooters seem to want to send a message and/or become famous in the process so the higher the body count the better in their view. This guy seems to have wanted to make sure his perceived enemies where dead first.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 10:25:47 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2023, 10:33:45 AM »
Out comes info about his ex wife who was reportedly in hiding with their son
Only married two years and  divorced in 2007.

But there is the possibility he was looking for another ex
One trigger for the massacre was floated by Card's sister, who told investigators she believed he may have been looking for an ex when he rampaged through the Sparetime Recreation bowling alley and Schemengees Bar and Grille, police sources told the outlet.

It is not confirmed whether Card's sister was referring to Lamb when she made the claim, or a more recent ex-partner.

Of note is this requirement made to the divorce agreement at a later date

The couple jointly filed for divorce in 2007 in Sagahoc County court, citing irreconcilable differences.

In 2013 the divorce agreement was amended to include an ominous requirement, stipulating that 'all guns in either party’s home shall be under lock and key during which time they are not being used.'

She may have just been worried the son would have access to guns but the MSM will probably run wild with speculation

Maine mass shooter Robert Card's former wife and teenage son were in HIDING amid fears killer was hunting for an ex when he gunned down 18 - as bombshell divorce papers reveal he was ordered to keep weapons 'under lock and key'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12682845/Maine-mass-shooter-Robert-Card-wife-son-HIDING.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2023, 11:04:28 AM »
Saw it reported as a 12ft jet ski but also he did own a boat in the past.
Seeing some speculation he may off himself in some secluded hidden spot to keep the fear going. Who knows, maybe at sea or a river.

He's hearing voices.  Could be anywhere, for any particular reason.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2023, 11:06:59 AM »
He's hearing voices.  Could be anywhere, for any particular reason.

As it was he was found near the recycling plant where he had recently been fired from not too far from his abandoned vehicle .
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2023, 11:12:36 AM »
And just like that more info on that.
Sounds like they didn't do a very good job of searching not once but twice

The Maine mass shooter's body was discovered at the back of an industrial tractor trailer in an area that investigators admitted they previously 'cleared' twice.

Army reservist Robert Card, 40, was found at around 7pm on Friday evening, two days after he opened fire in a bowling alley and bar, killing 18 people and injuring 13 others.

The body was discovered by a recycling plant that he was recently fired from, just a short walk from where the killer's vehicle was first found roughly four hours after the shooting erupted.

Mike Sauschuck, Maine's public safety commissioner, revealed in a Saturday morning press conference that the manhunt scoured the plant twice, and said officials only returned to the area at the direction of the factory's manager.

He said the location where the body was found was in an overflow parking lot containing roughly 60 trailers, which officials seemingly did not realize existed.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12683037/Maine-mass-shooter-Robert-Card-body-industrial-trailer.html
- Calvin and Hobbes