Author Topic: Lewiston, Maine shooting  (Read 3102 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Lewiston, Maine shooting
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2023, 12:27:52 PM »
And just think, we fought - and won! - a WAR with a lowly M1, only 1/15 as powerful as the AR15.

[ar15]  [ar15]  [ar15]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2023, 01:17:24 PM »
Does that mean the M16 is only 6.66% more powerful than an AR-15?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2023, 02:08:04 PM »
If correct it appears they were trying to get a Yellow Flag law triggered or maybe even it was but were encountering obstacles

From Bearing Arms

According to the State Bureau of Investigation, Card is categorized as “Federal Firearms Disqualified Status,” though it remains unclear what law barred him from possessing a firearm. A list of Mainers who have had their weapons confiscated through the state’s “yellow flag law” does not appear to include anyone matching Card. A spokesperson for the state police did not respond to a message asking for clarification about why Card was prohibited.

Sounds like a communication break down

The SBI hasn’t said anything beyond that basic information, so we don’t know when the suspect was officially categorized as a prohibited person, but the most likely opportunity would have been earlier this summer, when he reportedly spent two weeks in an Army medical center in West Point, New York after displaying “erratic” behavior during training exercises.

While that information was reported to federal officials, it doesn’t sound like it was conveyed to state authorities. The suspects family, however, says they were in contact with both law enforcement and the military over the past few months to express their growing concerns about his “rapidly deteriorating” mental state.

And apparently NY was getting involved

Maine Police Say Lewiston Suspect WAS Prohibited From Possessing Guns
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/10/27/maine-police-say-lewiston-suspect-was-prohibited-from-possessing-guns-n76626
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2023, 04:19:43 PM »
*Also, "hooking up" doesn't mean what it did when I was a kid. Don't even ask me how many times I nearly got into sexual harassment trouble at work because I said I was hooking up with a female coworker.
I like to use the traditional "couple up"
7-11 was a part time job.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2023, 11:35:08 PM »
Apparently I'm not the only one...

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2023, 12:01:51 AM »
If correct it appears they were trying to get a Yellow Flag law triggered or maybe even it was but were encountering obstacles

From Bearing Arms

Sounds like a communication break down

And apparently NY was getting involved

Maine Police Say Lewiston Suspect WAS Prohibited From Possessing Guns
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/10/27/maine-police-say-lewiston-suspect-was-prohibited-from-possessing-guns-n76626

Don't trust the reporting.

The LAW still says that to be prohibited a person must have been ADJUDICATED mentally defective, or COMMITTED to a mental institution. To the everlasting consternation of the bed-wetters, that means an actual hearing before a real, live judge, and in the case of commitment -- an actual commitment. A referral for a three-day or (I suppose) even a 2-week "evaluation" is not a "commitment." And if he was released at the end of the two weeks -- that's not long enough for any treatment to have taken place, so the shrinks must not have thought he posed a risk.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2023, 09:44:54 AM »
Multiple fails here:

David Hogg 🟧
@davidhogg111
The Maine shooter was unable to obtain a silencer a couple months ago because when he filled out the form to obtain the silencer he was asked if he had ever been committed to a mental institution to which he checked yes. The gun shop then refused to sell him the silencer. Who knows how many more would have died if the law were not in place.

https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/10/29/oopsie-david-hogg-accidentally-proves-gun-laws-already-on-the-books-work-with-maine-shooter-post-n2389153

Moron.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2023, 09:50:42 AM »
Multiple fails here:

https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/10/29/oopsie-david-hogg-accidentally-proves-gun-laws-already-on-the-books-work-with-maine-shooter-post-n2389153

Moron.

Hogg probably thinks you can just walk out with a silencer after doing nothing more than filling out a form.
Of course he and the people he runs around with routinely claim it's easier to buy a gun than it is to check out a book

But our side doesn't do itself any favors with this stuff

And yet mister "I've been around guns my whole life" calls it a silencer, when no such thing exists, instead of a suppressor. He's such a 🤡
    — Postaldog (@thepostaldog) October 29, 2023

It was called a silencer by the inventor, Hiram Percy Maxim*, in the patent.

*The son of the more famous Hiram Stevens Maxim (Maxim Machine Gun)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 12:35:17 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2023, 06:15:03 PM »
Ruger SFAR was found in his car and a S&W M&P15 and a M&P 40SW handgun were found with him.
They still haven't said if either was used in the shootings but there have been strong hints he used the SFAR

First article I've seen that refers to the SFAR as a AR-10 "style" rifle

Police identify 2 AR-style rifles, handgun as weapons linked to Lewiston mass shooting
https://www.pressherald.com/2023/10/30/state-police-identify-1-of-3-guns-linked-to-lewiston-shootings/

Expect lawsuits to be filed against Ruger and S&W
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 06:27:52 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2023, 06:21:16 PM »
Former co-workers at Maine Recycling Corp. say they saw a change in Card’s mental state earlier this year. Card was employed as a commercial driver from February 2022 to early June 2023.

Card’s behavior grew increasingly erratic and he spoke “aggressively” about guns before he left his job, one co-worker told NBC News. Another colleague said a supervisor was warned that Card supposedly had made threats of workplace gun violence, but nothing was done and it felt like “it was swept under the rug.”

The former co-workers, who asked not to be identified because they are still employed by Maine Recycling, expressed dismay that Card had access to his firearms even though he appeared to be struggling mentally when they saw him regularly this year.

One co-worker said he had no issues when Card first started at Maine Recycling, but about a year later, the co-worker said, Card exhibited a “total mood change.”

“He irrationally snapped. We’d do good the whole day, but then would say that I touched him. He said I was sexually harassing him, calling him a pedophile,” the co-worker said.

The company is saying supervisors were not made aware of him threatened the company and that counter to reports he was fired "Card left the company on good terms"

Maine Recycling said Monday that while Card was known to be a gun enthusiast, supervisors were not aware of any conversations in which he may have threatened workplace violence and take such threats seriously. Card left the company on good terms.

Maine gunman spoke 'aggressively' of guns, former co-workers say, as more warning signs emerge
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/maine-gunman-spoke-aggressively-guns-former-co-workers-say-warning-sig-rcna122833
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2023, 10:02:44 AM »
More on the shooter
Apparently he had become paranoid about people calling him a pedophile

But also in the article is this
Note the underlined

His brother said Card met his ex-girlfriend during a cornhole competition at Schemengees Bar and Grille. After Card’s ex-girlfriend ended the relationship, the family member said that his brother began "wearing hearing aids and had been saying crazy things."

Since the breakup, Card "had significant weight loss, has been hospitalized for mental health issues and stopped taking prescribed medication," his brother told police.

One witness told police that Card had been delusional since the relationship ended.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/maine-shooter-thought-local-businesses-attacked-shooting-were-spreading-pedophile-rumors-docs

Wonder what those meds were
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2023, 12:51:47 PM »
^^^probably anti-psychotics.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2023, 02:28:45 PM »
wonder how long he'd been off.  Those don't just cut, boom, and you're full on crazy again right away.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2023, 06:03:50 PM »
They have questions
    In a Nov. 2 letter to Army Inspector General Lt. Gen. Donna Martin, U.S. Sens. Susan Collins and Angus King questioned why Army officials didn’t appear to trigger laws in two states designed to disarm dangerous people, despite [Card’s] threat to “shoot up” the Army Reserve base in Saco.

Collins and King cited Card’s “troubling behaviors” leading up to the shooting, citing a Bangor Daily News report from last week.

Maine Senators Question Army Inspector General Over Handling of Lewiston Killer's Mental Issues
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/11/06/maine-senators-question-army-inspector-general-over-killers-mental-issues-n76961
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2023, 11:53:04 AM »
Rabid anti goes after Ruger

Sugarmann Still Twisting the Narrative as Anti-Gun Groups Attack Ruger
https://bearingarms.com/john-petrolino/2023/11/20/sugarmann-still-twisting-the-narrative-as-anti-gun-groups-attack-ruger-n77467
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2024, 09:24:56 AM »
Cumulative exposure to blasts caused brain damage that may have contributed to Maine shooter's rampage.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/profound-damage-found-in-maine-gunmans-brain-possibly-from-blasts/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.