Author Topic: Lasagna with Bechamel instead of Ricotta  (Read 1274 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Lasagna with Bechamel instead of Ricotta
« on: November 02, 2023, 05:38:31 PM »
Anyone ever make it?

I tend to gravitate towards baked pasta dishes in the wintertime and I was reading about this.

https://www.joyousapron.com/lasagna-with-bechamel-sauce-without-ricotta/

Of course, I'll be using venison for my meat.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Lasagna with Bechamel instead of Ricotta
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 06:31:53 PM »
I made a deep lasagna where I alternated béchamel and ricotta in the layers. It was good, very rich.

What I've been looking for is real fresh ricotta, legitimately made from mozzarella whey, to use in lasagna. I've heard it makes a big difference.

Using a spicy sausage would pair good with the béchamel I bet.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 06:56:08 AM »
I've had it. Not made it. It's good, but different. The differences are subtle, but I really think I prefer ricotta.

Hum... now that you mention it, I've not made a pan of baked ziti in awhile. I need to think about that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 08:19:09 AM »
Hum... now that you mention it, I've not made a pan of baked ziti in awhile. I need to think about that.

That is what I am making tonight, baked ziti.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 11:49:46 AM »
I'm actually thinking of making crockpot baked ziti. No boiling the noodles before hand.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 02:21:55 PM »
Anyone ever make it?

I tend to gravitate towards baked pasta dishes in the wintertime and I was reading about this.

https://www.joyousapron.com/lasagna-with-bechamel-sauce-without-ricotta/

Of course, I'll be using venison for my meat.

I don't make lasagna very often, and I usually use ricotta, or cottage cheese mixed with onion dip made with real sour cream (try it before you knock it)  But I have made it with a mornay sauce, which is bechamel with cheese in it (I use Parmesan.)  I've not had them side-by-side to tell which is best. 

If I make something lasagna-ish with eggplant slices instead of lasagna noodles, definitely the mornay or bechamel sauce.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 03:11:21 PM »
I don't make lasagna very often, and I usually use ricotta, or cottage cheese mixed with onion dip made with real sour cream (try it before you knock it)  But I have made it with a mornay sauce, which is bechamel with cheese in it (I use Parmesan.)  I've not had them side-by-side to tell which is best. 

If I make something lasagna-ish with eggplant slices instead of lasagna noodles, definitely the mornay or bechamel sauce.

Growing up cottage cheese and mozzarella was the lasagna cheeses. I don't think the stores even has ricotta cheese when I was a kid, I think the first time I actually seen ricotta for sale was when I moved away to college.

Uranus is a gas giant.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 11:59:21 PM »
Not a fan of lasagna OR mosticolli.  Had too much of the latter when I was photographing weddings.
I prefer spaghetti, egg noodles, or rotini.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 07:45:25 AM »
Growing up cottage cheese and mozzarella was the lasagna cheeses. I don't think the stores even has ricotta cheese when I was a kid, I think the first time I actually seen ricotta for sale was when I moved away to college.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't see lasagna until I went away for college. It was not a factor in my German heritage household. The closest we got to Italian was spaghetti and meatballs or meat sauce, and even that was a rarity.

After I left home my Mom started trying some new things based on some magazines she was getting, and one of them was stuff shells. She did a really good job with them. Very tasty.

My ex really introduced me to the world of Italian food. She was Irish, but had grown up in an Irish Italian area of New York. My ex made an incredible vegetable lasagna.

Since then I've made lasagna a couple of times, but if I'm going to make something like that it's normally baked ziti. Less fussy to assemble.