Author Topic: Stansport rim lid dutch oven  (Read 713 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Stansport rim lid dutch oven
« on: November 07, 2023, 08:09:18 AM »
Woot has the Stansport 8 qt dutch oven with the rimmed baking lid on clearance for $41.

If I were doing fireplace cooking I'd consider getting one.

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/stansport-8qt-pre-seasoned-cast-iron-flat?ref=w_disc
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Stansport rim lid dutch oven
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 08:29:41 AM »
Even better, here's an 8 quart model with fireplace legs for $40.

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/stansport-8-qt-pre-seasoned-cast-iron-legs?ref=w_disc
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 08:45:46 AM »
I tried Stansport brand, QC isn't there. If your going to go cheap, get a Camp Chef DO for around $40 for a 8qt, QC is a lot better. $60-70 will get you a new Lodge 8qt camp dutch oven, less if you wait for sales.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 08:47:45 AM »
Also Amazon has Stansport cheaper than Woot.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 09:24:50 AM »
That's really interesting, because Woot is owned by Amazon...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 10:06:55 AM »
That's really interesting, because Woot is owned by Amazon...

For around the first year after Amazon bought them, Woot specials were pretty consistently a great deal compared to the same product at Amazon. For the last few years, Woot has become like anything else on Amazon. Just like Amazon Daily Deals or whatever, they make it look like some great 50% off deal, but when you check the price history, you find it's more like a 5% discount, if that.

You can still find good deals on Woot and with Amazon Daily Deals, but you can no longer safely assume that they are in fact good deals. I don't buy anything Amazon related anymore without first researching that it is in fact a good deal and that it is not a knock-off.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 11:15:19 AM »
For around the first year after Amazon bought them, Woot specials were pretty consistently a great deal compared to the same product at Amazon. For the last few years, Woot has become like anything else on Amazon. Just like Amazon Daily Deals or whatever, they make it look like some great 50% off deal, but when you check the price history, you find it's more like a 5% discount, if that.

You can still find good deals on Woot and with Amazon Daily Deals, but you can no longer safely assume that they are in fact good deals. I don't buy anything Amazon related anymore without first researching that it is in fact a good deal and that it is not a knock-off.

I'm starting to have better luck ordering from Wal-Mart Online for things I can't purchase locally, usually free shipping to my house in a 2-3 days.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 12:01:02 PM »
Also Amazon has Stansport cheaper than Woot.

Hold on a second... are you sure you're looking at the same thing on Amazon?

The 8 quart model?

The 8 quart versions I'm seeing on Amazon are double what the woot price is.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 12:22:13 PM »
Hold on a second... are you sure you're looking at the same thing on Amazon?

The 8 quart model?

The 8 quart versions I'm seeing on Amazon are double what the woot price is.

You're right, I forgot to change the selection from 4qt to 8qt.   :facepalm:

Still made in China cast iron and the casting is pretty rough.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 12:27:46 PM »
Charby for the fail!

:rofl:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 01:34:05 PM »
https://www.uberleben.co/collections/stoves-pots/products/kessel?variant=39388006514806

I don't think I have ever used either of those.  I this one yesterday.  A while back I was trying to collect up a set of camping/outdoor gear, but only got a few things.  A set to cook with might be good.  This one is a LOT smaller.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 01:54:57 PM »
https://www.uberleben.co/collections/stoves-pots/products/kessel?variant=39388006514806

I don't think I have ever used either of those.  I this one yesterday.  A while back I was trying to collect up a set of camping/outdoor gear, but only got a few things.  A set to cook with might be good.  This one is a LOT smaller.

Those are great for boiling water to make instant soup, coffee/tea, or rehydrate bagged meals. Actual cooking will tend to scorch whatever you are cooking. I have a several pots similar to what you linked to in stainless, titanium and aluminum. With a pot and small isobutane stove they are awesome for a quick warm up beverage or soup when out hunting or ice fishing. Isobutane stoves are nice because they don't leak fuel and they are off when you turn them off. Downside is carrying cartridges and knowing how much fuel you have left. I do love my Snowpeak Gigastove, I paid like $25 for mine 20 years ago, they are $50 now. I did pick up a cheap isobutane stove at Wal-Mart to toss in my icefishing gear, guess I'll find out how well it works in a month or 2. Actually I probably should test it out before I go out.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GAS-ONE-1-Burner-Butane-Camping-Stove/733283346?from=/search

My car camping kit that I have assembled over the years and I keep in a tote, is pretty close to what one has currently in the kitchen. Garage sales are awesome for getting older cookware. I tend to use a propane or Coleman stove to cook on. If I do fire or coals, I use my cast iron.

When I was a lot younger, I did backpack in an 8 qt dutch oven a few miles to a base camp for trout fishing. It was great to use to cook food while we fished, but I'll never do that again.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.