Author Topic: US citizen kills ecoprotesters in Panama  (Read 3114 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: US citizen kills ecoprotesters in Panama
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2023, 10:48:10 PM »
Is Panama the sort of place where people blocking the road might be reasonably suspected of being part of an abduction scheme?

OK, having now seen some of the footage, that is likely not a relevant question.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 01:42:00 AM by Perd Hapley »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2023, 11:15:28 PM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2023, 11:18:19 PM »
The problem with arguments in favor of blocking roadways for causes of sufficient righteousness or import is that every issue is of maximum righteousness and import today.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2023, 12:45:26 AM »
The problem with arguments in favor of blocking roadways for causes of sufficient righteousness or import is that every issue is of maximum righteousness and import today.
Yep, every radical thinks their issue is the most righteous. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2023, 06:16:25 AM »
I thought Panama's gun laws were pretty strict...

And apparently they are, but not nearly as strict as other countries down there.

https://livinginpanama.com/panama/guns/

Interesting thing is that you have to pass a psych screening in Panama to get a gun. Apparently this guy did, IF he had the gun legally, which I suspect that he did.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2023, 06:37:56 AM »

Sure. Agreed.

Conversely the problem with locking up every protester that commits a crime is that every government is sure they aren't oppressing anyone.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2023, 06:41:55 AM »
It is interesting to compare the comments in here with the comments on the J6 thread.

Those guys are being punished "up to whatever legal limit applies." After all and we seem to universally agree it's too harsh.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2023, 07:05:00 AM »
It is interesting to compare the comments in here with the comments on the J6 thread.

Those guys are being punished "up to whatever legal limit applies." After all and we seem to universally agree it's too harsh.
Whatever leftist/uniparty judges can get away with is the new definition of  "up to whatever legal limit applies."

Following the undercover feds into breaking in and trespassing into the capital should result in some punishment.

It was largely entrapment but don't be stupid and break the law. Where it gets weird is all the images and videos of the police shepherding the crowd through the doors. If a cop is letting you in is it still trespassing?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2023, 07:47:07 AM »
Whatever leftist/uniparty judges can get away with is the new definition of  "up to whatever legal limit applies."

Yes?  As far as I know no one is claiming those sentences exceed the maximum established in statute for the charges. So it would seem to be within the legal limit, even if retarded.

Following the undercover feds into breaking in and trespassing into the capital should result in some punishment.

It was largely entrapment but don't be stupid and break the law. Where it gets weird is all the images and videos of the police shepherding the crowd through the doors. If a cop is letting you in is it still trespassing?

Apparently it is trespassing,  yes.

That kind of speaks to my point in questioning some of the posts here. A blanket "Any protest that breaks a law is bad and should be punished " is going to very quickly lead to no protests being allowed.  The British chick silently praying is another prime example of where enabling that philosophy leads.

It's also worth asking what good is a protest that disrupts nothing?  If nothing is disrupted,  it's very likely nothing will change.

Again,  I tend to agree that these particular idiots aren't protesting for the right thing, but I also think it's important to keep ways to actively protest legitimate bad things available so that if we need to throw some tea in a harbor again,  we can. 

It's also important to unblur the line between  protests, even annoying ones like blocking roads, and mob violence that is often adjacent to them.  One is infuriating but important, the other should be shut down with force, either governmental or not.  The "fiery but mostly peaceful " narrative is a cynical attempt to steal credibility for riots from protests.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2023, 08:14:30 AM »
  . . .
Following the undercover feds into breaking in and trespassing into the capital should result in some punishment.  . . .
The majority of them (the ones who didn't break windows, steal stuff from offices, or scuffle with capitol cops) should be punished in exactly the way the protestors who invaded the SCOTUS building were punished when they were protesting the appointment of Judge Kavanaugh.

As for Panama, people have a right to peacefully protest, but they DO NOT have a right to trample on other people's rights to travel, to peaceably assemble, etc.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2023, 08:20:20 AM »
That kind of speaks to my point in questioning some of the posts here. A blanket "Any protest that breaks a law is bad and should be punished " is going to very quickly lead to no protests being allowed.  The British chick silently praying is another prime example of where enabling that philosophy leads.
I take your point, but I think the major point of contention is that there is no consistent standard to which protests are held.  A protest from the left can do just about whatever they damn well please with relatively minimal long-term consequences for a small fraction of the protesters.  A protest on the right sees maximal consequences for as many protesters as can be located through an incredible expenditure in resources to identify and locate every possible violator.  Plus, demonstrators on the right tend to do so in good faith with their faces uncovered and cell phones on, whereas demonstrators on the left often go into the protest presuming they will be taking part in criminal behavior and take steps to conceal their identity and practice basic opsec.

It may be that those who are calling for a blanket response are seeking any sort of equal standard.

I'd also note that having a standard of behavior for protests or limit on what can be done during a legal protest is not the same thing as prohibiting protests across the board.  Just because a theoretical law says a protest can't arbitrarily block traffic, loot a Target, or burn down a federal building doesn't mean that protests are prohibited or that it is going to lead to silent prayer being prohibited.  Also, many protests make a point to be transgressive, so wherever you draw the line it will be crossed.

It's also worth asking what good is a protest that disrupts nothing?  If nothing is disrupted,  it's very likely nothing will change.
I don't think that's true.  Most things that have seen significant political change have done so without disruptive protests.  The idea behind protests tends to be to change things RFN.

... it's important to keep ways to actively protest legitimate bad things available so that if we need to throw some tea in a harbor again,  we can. 
That protest wasn't legal, and ended up in a civil war.  If it comes to the necessity of kicking off a civil war, the laws relating to the legality of blocking traffic during a protest will be the least of your concerns.

It's also important to unblur the line between  protests, even annoying ones like blocking roads, and mob violence that is often adjacent to them.  One is infuriating but important, the other should be shut down with force, either governmental or not.  The "fiery but mostly peaceful " narrative is a cynical attempt to steal credibility for riots from protests.
That's absolutely correct.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2023, 09:16:21 AM »
I take your point, but I think the major point of contention is that there is no consistent standard to which protests are held.  A protest from the left can do just about whatever they damn well please with relatively minimal long-term consequences for a small fraction of the protesters.  A protest on the right sees maximal consequences for as many protesters as can be located through an incredible expenditure in resources to identify and locate every possible violator.  Plus, demonstrators on the right tend to do so in good faith with their faces uncovered and cell phones on, whereas demonstrators on the left often go into the protest presuming they will be taking part in criminal behavior and take steps to conceal their identity and practice basic opsec.

It may be that those who are calling for a blanket response are seeking any sort of equal standard.

Sure, I agree there should be an equal standard.  I think that standard needs to be closer to the "let non-violent protests happen" than the "decades in jail for trespassing"

I'd also note that having a standard of behavior for protests or limit on what can be done during a legal protest is not the same thing as prohibiting protests across the board.  Just because a theoretical law says a protest can't arbitrarily block traffic, loot a Target, or burn down a federal building doesn't mean that protests are prohibited or that it is going to lead to silent prayer being prohibited.  Also, many protests make a point to be transgressive, so wherever you draw the line it will be crossed.

In theory you are correct, but the posters I was answering here repeatedly used the law, and legal standard as the line for what protests should not be allowed.  If you allow the government to remove a form of protest by passing a law, they will quickly remove nay effective redress of grievances.  That is pretty universal throughout history, and the reason that we the Founding Fathers felt the need to put the redress of grievances as protected in the 1A.

I don't think that's true.  Most things that have seen significant political change have done so without disruptive protests.  The idea behind protests tends to be to change things RFN.
I don't think that's true at all.  The VAST majority of major political change in the world took either a disruptive protest, or outright violence.  Just in the US, Women's suffrage, temperance, The Civil Rights movement, abolition of slavery, ending wars, the whiskey rebellion, legality of abortion (both directions),  the list goes on and on.  Either disruptive protests to make the Normies sit up and take notice, or outright violence.  Restoring Gun rights are about the only change that didn't, although I bet a bunch of leftists would call those open carry protests from the 2010's "disruptive".

That protest wasn't legal, and ended up in a civil war.  If it comes to the necessity of kicking off a civil war, the laws relating to the legality of blocking traffic during a protest will be the least of your concerns.

That's my point.  That protest wasn't legal, but it was still a valid protest, and the Crown had another 2 years after that where they could have responded to the grievances of the colonists and averted war.  They didn't, but they could have because the colonists used illegal protests for quite some time.  I could have just as easily used the protests outside the Boston Customs House in 1770 as an example.  There are plenty of protests that are illegal in the time and place they are held, which are righteous and should not be slapped down with a blanket "It's against the law and interferes with other people, so should be stopped."

And my other point is, because of that historical fact, and the predisposition of governments and their agents to think they are always right up to and past when they are shooting protesters, we should be very careful about impeding non-violent but illegal political protests.  If they damage private property hold them accountable for that (like the morons that glued themselves to VW's tent a couple years ago).

The corollary to that, is we should have a bit of leniency for regular folks that are faced with illegal acts.  Those videos of the truck drivers dragging people off the roads in Europe are probably technically committing assault, but should not be charged, as long as they didn't permanently injure someone.  Running a car through people just sitting there or shooting them is over the line though.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2023, 09:26:00 AM »
I noticed many in the MSM keep referring to this guy as an American but he's Panamanian born*, apparently lives in Panama, but does carry dual American-Panamanian citizenship. So do you call him Panamanian, American, or both?

Before someone comes along and says "actually" on the technical definition of the term American yes I know.

*Saw that somewhere now I can't remember where.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2023, 09:40:00 AM »
"Old Dude over-reacts with a gun is American" fits the narrative for clicks better.

"Panamanian shoots another Panamanian" doesn't get a lot of interest. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2023, 09:44:38 AM »
"Old Dude over-reacts with a gun is American" fits the narrative for clicks better.

"Panamanian shoots another Panamanian" doesn't get a lot of interest.

Yeah, that had occurred to me which is what prompted me to ask before going there..
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2023, 10:06:56 AM »
"There are plenty of protests that are illegal in the time and place they are held, which are righteous and should not be slapped down with a blanket 'It's against the law and interferes with other people, so should be stopped.' "

Sorry, but that sure looks like Orwellian "doublethink" to me.

And "petitioning for grievances" does not, in my opinion, grant a license to interfere with other peoples' rights.

If you have to go from A to C because you have to make a mortgage payment or go to the bathroom or simply on a whim, and there's a protest/demonstration to make sunspots illegal at B which is blocking your progress, those protestors/demonstrators should face lawful removal and lawful sanctions.

I do not see how you can word-flood your way out of that.

Self-righteousness does not righteousness make.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 10:35:58 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2023, 10:30:15 AM »
I will now destroy dogmush's arguments by agreeing with them. Sorry, mush.

Some of what the patriot movement did in the 1770s was less than respectful of people's rights. They formed mobs to destroy (not just vandalize but destroy) the homes of loyalist officials, or physically assault them.  Blacks sitting at privately-owned lunch counters were not exactly helping those businesses to thrive. Or take the trucker protests in Canada a little while back. I don't know much about those, but weren't they a little disruptive?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2023, 11:02:13 AM »
Sure, I agree there should be an equal standard.  I think that standard needs to be closer to the "let non-violent protests happen" than the "decades in jail for trespassing"
Absolutely fair.

In theory you are correct, but the posters I was answering here repeatedly used the law, and legal standard as the line for what protests should not be allowed.  If you allow the government to remove a form of protest by passing a law, they will quickly remove nay effective redress of grievances.  That is pretty universal throughout history, and the reason that we the Founding Fathers felt the need to put the redress of grievances as protected in the 1A.
The legal line will always be drawn somewhere.  Maybe that line is machete genocide.  Maybe the line is silent prayer.  The fact that members here are saying that there should be a legal line that restricts some "non-violent" tactics doesn't mean that the next step is prohibition of silent prayer. 

I particularly bridle at a vehicle being stopped by a mob because such unlawful detentions are often (in the US context especially) accompanied by property damage and violence against the vehicle's occupants.

That's my point.  That protest wasn't legal, but it was still a valid protest, and the Crown had another 2 years after that where they could have responded to the grievances of the colonists and averted war.
Some of what the patriot movement did in the 1770s was less than respectful of people's rights. They formed mobs to destroy (not just vandalize but destroy) the homes of loyalist officials, or physically assault them.
Sure, in that case an illegal protest eventually accomplished its goal.  Sometimes violent protests accomplish their goals.  Sometimes violent protests are even righteous.

Does that mean we should tolerate political violence as a rule?  If not, why not?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2023, 02:48:23 PM »
On trespassing, there was at least one J6 protestor who had charges trespassing charges dismissed after being able to show video of an officer at the door waving him in.  I don't know if they tried to pile on more charges.  It is my understanding that most of the charges they putting on these people are not trespassing.  It is a bunch of vague stuff like terrorism, interfering with official proceeding, and other stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2023, 02:49:20 PM »
 Jared Leto Climbs Empire State Building & Panamanian Activists Have a Bad Day | Ep 59    Normal World
https://youtu.be/5yhwUFJhhRA?si=IS-3P8HC2wmf_3Z1&t=402

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2023, 09:36:46 AM »
I'm still seeing a lot of doublethink here.

There are prudent avenues for valid or invalid protests ("redress of grievances") including letter-writing campaigns, etc.  But the  validity you have assigned to your grievance may not match up with that of the person whose immediate rights are being trampled. 
That's why  I chose the protest to be "against sunspots" as an example.

And "fairness?"  What's "fair" does not necessarily equate to what's legal, and "what's legal" may not match up to what's fair.

Remember when in self-defense situations, you had a duty to retreat, and now you have no duty to retreat if you have a right to be there?

Do you see a parallel concept at work there?

I'm not condoning what our partially American friend did in Panama, but I am trying to clarify the fact that you have a right to transit from A to C without your clear right to progess being interrupted at B by someone who may or may not have a valid grievance.  And who has other valid avenues to express their grievance

Again, your right to petition is not a license to trample on my right to get to point C.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2023, 10:48:29 AM »
On trespassing, there was at least one J6 protestor who had charges trespassing charges dismissed after being able to show video of an officer at the door waving him in.  I don't know if they tried to pile on more charges.  It is my understanding that most of the charges they putting on these people are not trespassing.  It is a bunch of vague stuff like terrorism, interfering with official proceeding, and other stuff.
And they also sentenced a guy to decades in jail who never set foot in the Capitol because they didn't like what he was saying, claiming he encouraged others. By that standard, our current VP and other D politicians ought to be facing charges for the violent "peaceful protests" of 2020.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2023, 03:05:44 PM »
The rule of law is a façade in the USA. When convenient or deemed necessary TPTB just ignore the law.

We all ignore laws all the time, that's how things are designed. TPTB need to be able to roll up any given person if need be and they can always find a reason or fabricate a reason ie lawfare. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2023, 09:02:24 PM »
The roads are public and belong to everyone. People protesting in the road are not "blocking the road", they are USING their roads. For a constitutionally protected activity. Probably a better use of the roads, on the balance.

Yeah violent protesters are scum. Many of the causes (and people) are stupid. And anyone who runs out in front of traffic and gets hit sort of asked for it. But the entitlement shown by motorists anytime somebody dares to use "their" roads always makes me sympathetic to the protesters. Thousands of people descend on our roads every day and block them, in cars, while polluting and making miserable noise, killing hundreds and injuring thousands per day in the process, usually for mundane or stupid reasons; a sea a taillamps drinking foreign oil stretching to infinity all across the country, and everyone thinks that's normal. Well if it's perfectly ok for you to sit on the road in your pavement princess, it's perfectly ok for protesters to protest there if you ask me. It's a reclamation of public spaces for something better.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2023, 09:20:41 PM »
Zahc, I earnestly hope for you to have the opportunity to enjoy the roads on which your lifestyle relies being put to the better use you prefer.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 11:03:48 PM by cordex »