Author Topic: Looks like I'm staying home for Thanksgiving this year...  (Read 2488 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Looks like I'm staying home for Thanksgiving this year...
« on: November 14, 2023, 09:17:33 AM »
I'm quickly running out of leave taking Seren to her appointments and I'm not wanting to put her through the stress of travel and grumping at her friend where we normally go when she'll be actively in the middle of another treatment cycle, so we're staying home for Thanksgiving this year.

Last year we stayed home because I was dealing with a knee injury that made driving more than a few minutes incredibly painful.

Last year I made a turkey meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Seren was very appreciative of that. She really likes may meatloaf.

But this year I'm thinking something different, but I'm not sure what.

I have a sugar cured ham in the freezer, so I may do that.

I also have a couple of pork loin roasts.

Any suggestions from the hive mind for something simple, but a bit different?

Some years ago I made crock pot scalloped potatoes for Tgiving with my Mom and brother, and they were a big hit. I may make those again, but for just one person... I don't know.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Looks like I'm staying home for Thanksgiving this year...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 09:55:58 AM »
Do the ham and scalloped potatoes, leftovers for the weekend and lunches the next week.

I'm actually going to be having shrimp for Thanksgiving. Going to wake up that AM, walk to the fish market at the marina, and buy a kilo or 2 of live shrimp.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 10:00:38 AM »
I thought about that, but I think the ham in the freezer is sugar cured, not salt/smoke cured. So I don't think it would be good for adding to scalloped potatoes. Or for ham and bean soup.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 10:43:29 AM »
I was thinking of them as separate baked dishes.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 12:01:22 PM »
Ah, I misread your post.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 12:23:28 PM »
Ah, I misread your post.

Nope, I probably should have laid it out better.

Midwest, ham and scalloped potatoes are typically cooked separately.

There are exceptions though, like everything.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 12:27:17 PM »
Here in the east it's very common to have ham in scalloped potatoes.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 07:53:15 PM »
Andrew Tate would be dissapoint in you guys.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 09:15:22 PM »
Any suggestions from the hive mind for something simple, but a bit different?

Roast a duck. or a leg of lamb, or a pork shoulder.  (who is Andrew Tate?  (yes I saw the other thread))

Sugar cured hams are salt cured, they just have sugar added to the cure too.  The bone still works for flavoring bean soup.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 11:55:33 PM »
Grilled pork loin medallions in apricot-onion glaze or orange ginger sauce. Yum.

Sides of garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed green beans,, and glazed carrots.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2023, 06:51:12 AM »
"Sugar cured hams are salt cured, they just have sugar added to the cure too.  The bone still works for flavoring bean soup."

Yes, I know.

And no, it certainly does not.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2023, 06:54:48 AM »
I've pretty much decided on the ham. I need to use it anyway, and it will provide a lot of extra meat for sandwiches.

I'd love to roast a duck. Except that I don't want to take out a second mortgage on the house to roast one. Duck prices in Northern Virginia are just ridiculously obscene. Last one I saw, around easter, was $24.99 a gooddamned pound!

A leg of lamb would be nice, if I could find a half one. The stores around here sell them whole, only very rarely halfs like they do in central Pennsylvania, and that's just way too much.

I'd consider doing a turkey if I could find a smaller one. 10 to 12 pound turkeys sell out REALLY fast in this area. I looked for one last weekend when I was shopping and the smallest they had was 18 pounds.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2023, 07:43:08 AM »
I'd consider doing a turkey if I could find a smaller one. 10 to 12 pound turkeys sell out REALLY fast in this area. I looked for one last weekend when I was shopping and the smallest they had was 18 pounds.

This will be my first Thanksgiving (outside of one I missed for work) without a traditional turkey. Even after I moved here, I went out of my way to avoid Thanksgiving dinner invites so I could make my own the same way we did them when my folks were alive, just out of, I guess, nostalgia. I could usually find a 12ish pounder to make.

This year I decided the whole stuffed turkey thing and prep are just not worth it. I'm still doing turkey, but am just getting a turkey breast and I'll just season up slices and put them in the convection oven. I'll still be doing stuffing with plum sauce and candied yams, but instead of spending hours with cooking and cleanup and stuff, I'll spend an hour prepping and cooking everything and still get the turkey experience.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2023, 08:54:50 AM »
I've not made a full-bore turkey dinner with all the trimmings since before my Mom died in 2017.

It's a tremendous amount of work, and I'm just not feeling up to it for much the same reasons as you are. The nostalgia draw is strong, no doubt about it.

I've spent quite a few of the holidays since Mom died with Castle Key and his family. I'm really bummed that I won't be going down again this year, but I just don't want to put any more stress on Seren right now while she's in treatment.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2023, 11:23:15 PM »
If you cook the pork loin, what about a "pork-flavored" dressing mix?
Although limited in quantity, some of those box mixes are fairly good.  And they don't take much time to prep.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2023, 06:48:51 AM »
I use box mix stuffing all the time. The local grocery chain has a store brand that's pretty darned good and comes in multiple flavors, including turkey, pork, chicken, and cornbread.

My go to meatloaf recipe is 2 to 2.5 pounds of ground turkey, a box of the turkey stuffing mix, an egg, a splash of half and half, a dash of worcestershire, and a finely chopped onion. Once in awhile I'll also sweat down 8 ounces of chopped mushrooms and throw them in, as well.

Mix everything together and bake.

I'll either top it with BBQ sauce or a half can of cranberry sauce.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2023, 10:29:58 AM »
Just gonna be the 2 of us here this year. Things have been crazy hectic and we’re looking forward to just having a quiet long weekend. I’m doing a turkey breast over charcoal in the pit barrel. Butter garlic and seasoning.
Wife is in charge of any trimmings. We have a sparkling Shiraz I’m looking forward to trying.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2023, 10:49:11 AM »
Wife is in charge of any trimmings. We have a sparkling Shiraz I’m looking forward to trying.

I'm having the Kirkland Tawny Porto with mine. I discovered it last year, and while classified as a dessert wine* and on the sweet side, it just hits the spot with a meal. I like to have it on my bread baking days as well. I usually bake a loaf of bread to go with meals like stews or beef boogaloo, and like to have buttered warm bread as soon as I can cut it, while I'm waiting for the main meal to finish, and that wine is great to wash the bread down with. Also good with cigars. It's like $17 a bottle, but well worth it, IMO.

* Fun fact - not being a wine connoisseur, I did not know this wine was supposed to be refrigerated until I read it in the article below that describes the wine. I'm going to refrigerate the next bottle and will be curious to see any taste differences.

https://www.reversewinesnob.com/kirkland-signature-10-year-old-tawny-porto/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2023, 03:11:05 PM »
Port is typically a dessert or after dinner wine.
Many red wines serve better slightly cool and allowed to warm in the hand. Similarly many whites are served chilled but should be allowed to warm.
But I knew a very knowledgeable wine drinker that said the only rule is that you enjoy it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2023, 05:01:08 PM »
A couple years ago we did a Polish Thanksgiving.  We have several Polish meat markets here.  So I got a bunch of fresh and smoked kielbasa, fresh sourkraut, red cabbage, and German potatoes salad, and black bread.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2023, 07:26:54 AM »
I'm thinking that, instead of the crockpot scalloped potatoes (which are good, but a lot of work) I may make Charby's Jiffy Scalloped Corn. I've always wanted to try it and it looks like it would go really well with ham.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2023, 04:54:43 PM »
I'm thinking that, instead of the crockpot scalloped potatoes (which are good, but a lot of work) I may make Charby's Jiffy Scalloped Corn. I've always wanted to try it and it looks like it would go really well with ham.

Enjoy the scalloped corn bake.

My partner just called me, Thanksgiving just went from 5 people to 20+. Now going to a poolside potluck, including the family that was in the news earlier that had the sail boat broken mast in the Pacific Ocean. Mom and kids were rescued while the dad had fuel delivered to him via cargo ships and motored to marina they started from. The marina is 2 blocks from my partner's place in Mexico. She said they are weird af.

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/dismasted-pacific-niniwahuni/

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2023, 09:01:50 AM »
Considering the sugar and alcohol content of Port I doubt the lack of refrigeration would effect it, as in degrading the wine.

Being chilled before drinking obviously will though, just like a white wine.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2023, 09:21:51 AM »
. . .  I'd love to roast a duck. Except that I don't want to take out a second mortgage on the house to roast one. Duck prices in Northern Virginia are just ridiculously obscene. Last one I saw, around easter, was $24.99 a gooddamned pound! . . .
There are ways around that.

My aunt's home backed up to a small pond, frequented by ducks. Her neighbor 2 doors down - a Korean couple - used to feed the ducks. (Popcorn maybe?) They'd lay down a trail from the water's edge to their covered patio . . . the ducks followed the trail up to their house, but they frequently never came back down to the pond.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2023, 10:19:36 AM »
I'm the only roast turkey fan in the house.  And, because of his schedule, we are going to younger son's apartment.  So, we're doing a roasted beef tenderloin, scalloped potatoes, green beans (pan sautéed with bacon), and pies.  Dog lives when I roast a tenderloin (one or two times a year) because when I trim it up, the trimmings go in her bowl).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark