Author Topic: A Fast Growing High School Sport  (Read 828 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
A Fast Growing High School Sport
« on: November 23, 2023, 07:57:30 AM »
On the good news front, this article surprised the hell out of me. I thought evil trap and skeet was pretty much extinct in most High Schools in the country. Nice to see that I'm apparently wrong.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/guns-ammo-one-americas-fastest-growing-high-school-sports-benchwarmers
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: A Fast Growing High School Sport
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 01:19:25 PM »
About 20 years ago it started growing in popularity in HS sports in Iowa.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 01:38:16 PM »
There will be blood in the schools!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 02:15:04 PM »
Youths making noise and breaking things.
Perfect!
7-11 was a part time job.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 03:15:16 PM »
I coach the high school FFA trap shooting team.
I had a local “reporter” ask me how I could be involved in introducing young people to guns when there is so much gun violence etc.
I said “these are the last kids anybody should worry about.”
We have had zero safety issues. They are required to take my gun safety course. We have the 4 rules of gun safety and we have the range safety rules. They have to be able to repeat them back to me when I ask and I do ask at least the first 4 or 5 practices. Parents and grandparents show up to support them. It’s the most family oriented activity we have. The students are polite and respectful. I pay a couple of them to check on my house and feed the cat if we’re out of town, which means I trust them with the alarm codes and the access.
We have a big poster size pic of the trap shooters in the high school hall. When we do class reunion tours people are shocked to see it displayed. 9 out of 10 are pleasantly surprised.
Amen. We need more of the same.

What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 06:35:04 PM »
I coach the high school FFA trap shooting team.
I had a local “reporter” ask me how I could be involved in introducing young people to guns when there is so much gun violence etc.

Introduce them to the rainbow of fake genders, if you want to see some gun violence.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 08:24:49 AM »
I was a high school student back in '70s in Chicago. At that time, one could TALK about guns in class - I did a brief presentation on ballistics in math class - but the very idea of scholastic trap and skeet competition even back then for students would have given the administration a serious case of the vapors.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 08:38:27 AM »
I was a high school student class of ‘76. Rural small town Illinois. Everybody knew we had our shotguns in the car during hunting season. We sometimes hunted after school.
We used to save one of our best hunting spots and invite the principal to hunt with us once a year. Never knew when we might need a favor.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 08:41:01 AM »
I was a high school student back in '70s in Chicago. At that time, one could TALK about guns in class - I did a brief presentation on ballistics in math class - but the very idea of scholastic trap and skeet competition even back then for students would have given the administration a serious case of the vapors.

Nowadays a pop-tart chewed in the general shape of gun gives them the vapors  :facepalm:

In case some don't remember https://reason.com/2016/06/16/judge-upholds-suspension-of-the-pop-tart/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2023, 10:32:11 AM »
I was in NJROTC in high school in the early '70s.  We had a rifle team and an armory on campus.  The rifle team had bolt action .22s, and we had some demilled 1903A3s for our drill team.
The rifle team could shoot at a commercial range that was a five minute walk away behind the school.  We had free access to that range.  The local USMC reserve unit would occasionally bring out some neat stuff to that commercial range that we were allowed to fam fire.  Fun times.
And of course almost every student's pickup had a rifle rack in the back window with shotguns and/or centerfire rifles.  Lots of guys hunted just before or right after school.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bscl

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2023, 04:28:57 PM »
When I was in high school (1988-1992) my school had riflery for boys and girls. We shot .22 rimfire target/match rifles like the Remington 541x and Winchester 52D. Three position, 50 ft range. The range was actually on the school grounds. The coaches were the JROTC instructors for the school and the rifles were locked away in the JROTC arms room when not in use. There were only three other public schools on the island that had rifle teams so a season was competing against the other schools twice each, one away and one home match. Yes this was on Oahu in Hawaii. I was on the team all four years. However,  years later they went to air rifles and demolished the range when they put in a new football field. I don't ever remember any controversy about a public school having firearms on campus while I was there, in spite of it being in Hawaii.
Life Member NRA, SAF

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2023, 05:54:50 PM »
In my state we need a license to purchase ammunition. I don't think we'll ever see trap or skeet as high school sports in this state.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design