Author Topic: Apple varieties ie the “Arkansas Black”  (Read 785 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Apple varieties ie the “Arkansas Black”
« on: December 02, 2023, 12:54:48 PM »
I have 6 surviving apple trees. 3 are Arkansas Black. 3 are other heirloom or vintage varieties.
Years ago, my mother’s best friend for years and years was something of an apple expert. In so much as the university extension called her to take graft cuttings from an old Swedish snow apple tree that was dying out in a historic colony village.
Ever since purchasing our farmstead in 1994, she urged me to plant apple trees, specifically she said I should plant Arkansas Black.
She and my mother died around the same time, my mother 80 and the apple expert 88. Without doing any research of my own I purchased and planted trees.
After 3 or 4 years I started getting apples and couldn’t wait to try the AB. Beautiful dark apples, hard as wood with about as much flavor. I was very disappointed. Until I had a conversation with an orchard owner. He knew the AB and said it was terrible for the orchard market because they aren’t fit to eat before Christmas and nobody is buying apples then.
Apparently they are meant to be root cellared or stored. They keep well. Pick them after a couple hard frosts or a good freeze, cold store them and after a month or more they’re good.
I’ve had them last in the basement fridge and still good eating in June. Have a lot of them this year and they are good now, will be even better in January.
Dark plumb color with pale yellow flesh, not real juicy but very resistant to bruising or insect damage.
I’m at the northern edge of the best zones here in Illinois.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Apple varieties ie the “Arkansas Black”
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 04:12:03 PM »
Never heard of that variety before, but man, they sound good.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 04:15:05 PM »
Never heard of that variety before, but man, they sound good.
They are, once you understand them.
They are good eating fresh, good baking, pretty good all around apple for anything but apple sauce.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 10:25:02 AM »
Wife made an apple crisp with some last night. Went well with the venison stroganoff for our snowed in bitter cold outside cozy inside dinner.
The Arkansas Blacks are really good after a couple months in the basement fridge.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 02:06:11 PM »
I just ate one for a snack. Awesome flavor and texture. February 18 in northern Illinois. In the basement fridge since I picked them. I had one yesterday also. They are big beautiful and very dark perfect apples. They were not sprayed but the trees got dusted with an organic when the damn Japanese beetles came out. 3x3 ie 9 of them fill a 1 galllon zip lock bag. I have the bags stacked in the spare fridge. The cold storage makes them better and better. Probably peaking about now.