Author Topic: Stoplight Cameras, Speed Cameras, now Noise Cameras?  (Read 602 times)

HankB

• friend
Stoplight Cameras, Speed Cameras, now Noise Cameras?
« on: December 04, 2023, 08:11:44 AM »
They're proposing legislation in New York (naturally) to allow NOISE CAMERAS to photograph noisy cars, with a ticket to follow.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/02/metro/noise-cameras-coming-to-nyc-to-punish-loud-drivers-as-complaints-surge/

I can see people having fun with this - hang out under the camera's microphone with a boom box or string of firecrackers, and cut loose when a car driven by someone you don't like goes by.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Stoplight Cameras, Speed Cameras, now Noise Cameras?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 09:50:17 AM »
Will it ticket people who have souped up sound system?

I really don't like automated ticket systems of any kind. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 10:07:03 AM »
Other than sound like Hank mentioned, I wonder how else this could get messed up.  How good is the directional microphone?  Will it be able to distinguish between multiple vehicles?  Will it take video and audio at the same time?  It ought to do those things, but I hesitate to assume.

I might trust automated ticket writing systems a little more if they were installed and maintained by the govt using them with some oversight and public records access. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 10:11:54 AM »
Let me know when they design one to detect liberal do-gooder lawmakers who propose laws and regulations simply to propose laws and regulations and satisfy their control issues.

But I wonder how they'd filter out HOA dictators.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 03:26:08 PM »
"...there ought 'a be a law...!!!"   :old:

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 04:59:45 AM »
And HOW will they differentiate the sound from car/bike to another?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!