Author Topic: Use this boomer, Jar Jar!  (Read 2155 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Use this boomer, Jar Jar!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2023, 09:31:34 AM »
My eyes started to bleed and my brain leaked out my ears about halfway through that.

Directed microwave beams from a CIA satellite, they zeroed in using spy code in your browser and/or phone and you weren't wearing your tin foil hat were you? I told you to put on your tin foil hat before clicking on that!    [tinfoil]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 09:54:06 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2024, 10:25:47 AM »
Dash and bodycam footage released

Terrifying new bodycam footage shows moment paranoid conspiracy theorist's Virginia home explodes after firing more than 30 flares at cops
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13511973/conspiracy-theorist-Virginia-home-explodes.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2024, 11:00:06 AM »
A "structure fire"?

There was no structure left to burn, just some flaming rubble.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2024, 12:28:50 PM »
I find it interesting that in that video they say the explosion was caused by gasoline.... That would have needed a lot of time and effort to get enough gasoline vapor to blow the house apart like that. I'm thinking backpack sprayer misting it throughout the house type of effort.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2024, 07:56:50 AM »
I find it interesting that in that video they say the explosion was caused by gasoline.... That would have needed a lot of time and effort to get enough gasoline vapor to blow the house apart like that. I'm thinking backpack sprayer misting it throughout the house type of effort.

There WAS a lot of time.

Between the police arriving at his house and the house blowing up was FOUR hours.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2024, 09:01:56 AM »
The trick would be getting it to mix even semi-thoroughly.  Gas vapors are heavier than air and pool in low lying areas.  It seems like in the time it took to vaporize that much gas it would pool and go more rich than preferred for a big bada boom.  Although I confess I've never tried to blow up a structure with gas.  I know gas cans in a car can build up enough to cause a "windows blown out" level explosion and fire when ignited.

It just seems like for the level of boom he got he must have paid some attention to the getting at least in the neighborhood of a stoichiometric mix.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2024, 09:03:24 AM »
The trick would be getting it to mix even semi-thoroughly.  Gas vapors are heavier than air and pool in low lying areas.  It seems like in the time it took to vaporize that much gas it would pool and go more rich than preferred for a big bada boom.  Although I confess I've never tried to blow up a structure with gas.  I know gas cans in a car can build up enough to cause a "windows blown out" level explosion and fire when ignited.

It just seems like for the level of boom he got he must have paid some attention to the getting at least in the neighborhood of a stoichiometric mix.

Turn the house furnace/AC fan on and/or in circulate mode.

Puts me in mind of what happened to IJN Taiho
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2024, 09:10:12 AM »

I thought about that, but I would be concerned about premature ignition from the unshielded blower motor.  You could get partial ignition and not blow the house all the way up.  Also if you were trying to get the cops, you'd want to be able to time when it goes off to relatively close to the entry team coming in. 

in Minecraft.  (Hi there FBI watcher)

Of course, maybe it did go off early because IIRC the only one he got was himself.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2024, 09:33:41 AM »

Puts me in mind of what happened to IJN Taiho

Yep. HVAC system fan has been on circulate for the last 30 years.

Not just the Taiho, but also the USS Lexington during the battle of the Coral Sea. It wasn't realized that there was a leak in the one avgas storage tank and it's figured that the fumes were sucked up in to the ventilation system until the fumes go to a space with an ignition source, most likely an electrical motor in one of the machine spaces.

The film of the subsequent explosions is pretty impressive... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJJuDkzM6uc
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2024, 09:42:52 AM »

Yep. HVAC system fan has been on circulate for the last 30 years.

Not just the Taiho, but also the USS Lexington during the battle of the Coral Sea. It wasn't realized that there was a leak in the one avgas storage tank and it's figured that the fumes were sucked up in to the ventilation system until the fumes go to a space with an ignition source, most likely an electrical motor in one of the machine spaces.

The film of the subsequent explosions is pretty impressive... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJJuDkzM6uc

The lost of Lexington lead the US Navy to figuring out it might be a good idea to flush and fill the aviation fuel lines with CO2 when an attack is inbound.
Taiho stands out for the series of bad decisions made by her damage control including turning the ventilation fans on full after her main avgas tank was cracked open by a torpedo hit basically turning her into a big fuel air bomb, add spark from somewhere and.....
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2024, 09:52:02 AM »
"The lost of Lexington lead the US Navy to figuring out it might be a good idea to flush and fill the aviation fuel lines with CO2 when an attack is inbound."

Except that that would not have saved Lexington, as her avgas storage tanks themselves were compromised by the torpedo hits on the port side and gasoline mixing in with the water flooding into the ship. Where that water went, the gasoline went.

The only way to have mitigated against that would have been to completely flood the port side spaces of the ship with CO2, which would have made them uninhabitable.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2024, 09:55:59 AM »
"The lost of Lexington lead the US Navy to figuring out it might be a good idea to flush and fill the aviation fuel lines with CO2 when an attack is inbound."

Except that that would not have saved Lexington, as her avgas storage tanks themselves were compromised by the torpedo hits on the port side and gasoline mixing in with the water flooding into the ship. Where that water went, the gasoline went.

The only way to have mitigated against that would have been to completely flood the port side spaces of the ship with CO2, which would have made them uninhabitable.

But it did give them ideas for the fuel lines which served them well later on even as soon as Midway with Yorktown in dealing with her bomb hits.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2024, 10:37:52 AM »
But it did give them ideas for the fuel lines which served them well later on even as soon as Midway with Yorktown in dealing with her bomb hits.
My understanding is the idea of flush the AV gas fuel lines before an attack was from a sailor on the Yorktown; that change was implemented and spread to other ships.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention leaking AV gas fuel storage tanks on the Lexington, but most of what I heard was looking at lessons learned, not details on the Lexington.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2024, 10:44:11 AM »
My understanding is the idea of flush the AV gas fuel lines before an attack was from a sailor on the Yorktown; that change was implemented and spread to other ships.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention leaking AV gas fuel storage tanks on the Lexington, but most of what I heard was looking at lessons learned, not details on the Lexington.

IIRC, and I mean IIRC, that sailor(s) was a transfer from the Lexington after she sunk.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2024, 11:26:21 AM »
IIRC, and I mean IIRC, that sailor(s) was a transfer from the Lexington after she sunk.

No. Oscar Myers was on Yorktown at the battle of the Coral Sea. He witnessed Lexington explode from the Yorktown.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2024, 11:41:18 AM »
No. Oscar Myers was on Yorktown at the battle of the Coral Sea. He witnessed Lexington explode from the Yorktown.

Could be that or also could be I seem to remember reading somewhere. darn fuzzy memory and all, that maybe he got the idea from talking to ex-Lexington damage control sailors that were transferred to YT about what happened on Lex
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2024, 11:50:25 AM »
"Could be that"

It is that.

Myers never served on Lexington.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2024, 11:51:29 AM »
"Could be that"

It is that.

Myers never served on Lexington.

Like I said "IIRC, and I mean IIRC" so I was leaving the door wide open to my memory being wrong and it was.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2024, 11:53:08 AM »
Like I said "IIRC, and I mean IIRC" so I was leaving the door wide open to my memory being wrong and it was.

And I'm closing the door for you.

If you're not inside, well that's your problem for being left out in the cold. :rofl:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2024, 12:03:34 PM »
And I'm closing the door for you.

If you're not inside, well that's your problem for being left out in the cold. :rofl:

Okay, okay. You can be right about something. But just this once so don't let it go to your head.  :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes