Main Forums > The Roundtable

Taylor Swift

(1/21) > >>

Ben:
I don't get it, and I'm pretty sure it's not a Boomer thing, because I didn't get any of the disco queens when I was in my 20s and listening to garage rock of the time.

To preface, good for her for being ridiculously successful. This is America, she seems to have worked hard, and work+success is the American dream.

Otherwise, I can honestly say that I've never once consciously listened to one of her songs, nor could I identify one if I heard it. I'm sure I've heard one in the background of something or other without knowing who the artist was.  I guess she was just made Time's person of the year for being the most successful celebrity in the history of celebrities. Her fan base seems to border on the insane for all things Taylor Swift, and if I see one more headline about her and her new boyfriend, I'm going to scream. I get being a fan, but it's almost a religious zealot thing with these swifties.

Up until recently, she was apparently apolitical in her public persona, but is now getting into politics. I saw where she was going to be pitching for her fans to vote for Brandon, which they will if she tells them to. That kind of fame, with those kinds of fans, is a little dangerous. JMO.

WLJ:
Yeah, you can hardly find a news site that doesn't have a headline telling you who's the current member of her boyfriend of the month club.
And as to her fans she's gotten to the point of being the Borg queen to them.
If she does goes full on Brandon I would love to see her reaction if the current member of the boyfriend of the month club came out and endorsed Trump.  [popcorn]

dogmush:
She makes decent pop music.  Catchy tunes and decent lyrics, if a little heavily tilted towards lost love and "nobody gets me".

If you like pop music, or are listening to it in the background of another activity it's a lot better than most of the music in that genre.  It seems to have struck a cord with a whole bunch of teens and twenty somethings, and now probably thirty somethings.

As for the crazy fans, same thing that drove the Beatles fans, or any other crazy population.  Some folks take their music hero's too seriously.

I'm normally a metal and hard rock guy, but if I'm driving with the wife and she has Tay-Tay on her playlist, it's loads better than any of the interchangeable acoustic guitar and soft voiced male Ed Sherran wannabes that she also listens to.

WLJ:

--- Quote from: dogmush on December 06, 2023, 11:33:21 AM ---She makes decent pop music.  Catchy tunes and decent lyrics, if a little heavily tilted towards lost love and "nobody gets me".

If you like pop music, or are listening to it in the background of another activity it's a lot better than most of the music in that genre.  It seems to have struck a cord with a whole bunch of teens and twenty somethings, and now probably thirty somethings.

As for the crazy fans, same thing that drove the Beatles fans, or any other crazy population.  Some folks take their music hero's too seriously.

I'm normally a metal and hard rock guy, but if I'm driving with the wife and she has Tay-Tay on her playlist, it's loads better than any of the interchangeable acoustic guitar and soft voiced male Ed Sherran wannabes that she also listens to.

--- End quote ---

Agreement on her music, it's way better than 90+% of what else is out there.
And on the comparison of her fans to the Beatles's fans, yep. It has always given me the creeps the way some people idolize celebrities.

K Frame:
I liked her music a LOT better when she was on the Country charts.

Since she's switched over to pop-centric music?

Not really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version