Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 3899 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2023, 12:19:54 AM »
 I tried real hard to listen to one of her new albums a couple of yrs ago- seemed good at the time but I can't recall anything special.

she is not anything like the Beatles, that is a terrible comparison.
 the music industry is tightly controlled now, it is propaganda only - very few organic tunes are heard by folks these days .
 I have old friends that made it in the music industry and more than a few that didn't , they were all angry with Oliver Anthony or what ever his name was - the rich man north of Richmond guy .

the music industry only allows left-ism and will attempt to drown out any alternative voices  ( or really, really good music ) .
 Mozart died 232 yrs ago last week, serious musicians still play his music, serious people listen to it.
 232 yrs from now - people will know who The Beatles/Metallica were and serious people will play it and listen to it. ( as well as Mozart )

Which reminds me, go find Gamzada, her cover of Metallica's Unforgiven is remarkable

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2023, 02:17:49 AM »
232 yrs from now - people will know who The Beatles were and serious people will play it and listen to it.

I don't believe that. I'm an optimist.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2023, 11:06:13 AM »
Shoot, I'm a pessimist and I don't even believe that.   =D

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2023, 10:09:42 PM »
Shoot, I'm a pessimist and I don't even believe that.   =D

ok, maybe, but Metallica for sure - check out this awesome rendition of a Metallica song by a gifted classical pianist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWvEaGL8P2Q   

The Unforgiven - I never get tired of it
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• friend

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2024, 12:07:48 PM »
Dear New York Times

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2024, 02:36:41 PM »
I was actually more incredulous about this bit.

Swift’s accomplishments as an artist—culturally, critically, and commercially—are so legion that to recount them seems almost beside the point. As a pop star, she sits in rarefied company, alongside Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, and Madonna; as a songwriter, she has been compared to Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, and Joni Mitchell. As a businesswoman, she has built an empire worth, by some estimates, over $1 billion.

On the one hand, I find it doubtful she's as important a cultural icon as the other people named. On the other hand, I wouldn't know, because contra Time Magazine, her alleged accomplishments would need to be listed for me. Like millions upon millions of Americans, I wasn't paying attention to Taylor Swift, or any of her boyfriends. I thought the main character of 2023 (as with every year) was Jesus Christ. Or, if we're only counting mortal men, the main character of last year (as with the past 7-8 years) was the guy who's an existentialthreattoourdemocracy.

And get this:
...a celebrity—who by dint of being a woman is scrutinized for everything from whom she dates to what she wears...

:rofl:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 02:59:29 PM by Perd Hapley »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2024, 03:42:55 PM »
attoourdemocracy.

And get this:
...a celebrity—who by dint of being a woman is scrutinized for everything from whom she dates to what she wears...
:rofl:

And loving every minute of it.
Seriously, many of them seem to freak out if they're not
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2024, 04:29:07 PM »
"On the one hand, I find it doubtful she's as important a cultural icon as the other people named."

The article didn't say she's as important. It said she's among the others. But I have to agree with the article. She is a MAJOR cultural and economic force.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2024, 06:14:02 PM »
Meh... I accidentally heard one of her songs the other evening - it was on an internet jukebox, and the only reason I knew it was her was because I pulled it up on my phone to play something that wasn't boring...

<BTW, Hawkwind was a psych band that had some guy named Lemmy playing bass for them...)
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2024, 08:04:44 PM »
"On the one hand, I find it doubtful she's as important a cultural icon as the other people named."

The article didn't say she's as important. It said she's among the others. But I have to agree with the article. She is a MAJOR cultural and economic force.

If she's not as important, why is she among them? I assumed they were not just going by ticket sales, but I could be wrong.

Other than being talked about a lot, and having very dedicated fans, do you think you could name 2 or 3 ways she's a "MAJOR cultural force"?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 09:04:34 PM by Perd Hapley »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2024, 08:44:24 AM »
"Other than being talked about a lot, and having very dedicated fans, do you think you could name 2 or 3 ways she's a "MAJOR cultural force"?"

Jesus wept, really?

Since you're apparently such an expert on modern culture, please give your learned opinion on how the others in that list DO qualify and Swift apparently doesn't.

And, since we're picking arbitrary numbers, please give 3.7927 reasons.

;/

OK, in simple terms...

You cannot gain the kind of continuous, multi-year media attention that Swift has garnered and not be a cultural force. Multi-media both reports on and helps define culture. A few weeks or months media attention is a flash in the pan. A decade plus? Major force factor.

Swift's battles with her previous label over ownership of her music masters has had a significant impact not just on the music industry but the entertainment industry in general and a growing impact on creative rights in all media.

And (unfortunately) she's also had a political impact on the broader culture. Whenever she's touted voter registration, registrations, especially among women, have surged. Political scientists have said she's behind only LeBron James in the overall effect she's had on American politics in the last decade, and based on surveying, she's been credited with helping swing several elections (unfortunately not in right direction).

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 09:01:52 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2024, 09:22:43 AM »
And (unfortunately) she's also had a political impact on the broader culture. Whenever she's touted voter registration, registrations, especially among women, have surged. Political scientists have said she's behind only LeBron James in the overall effect she's had on American politics in the last decade, and based on surveying, she's been credited with helping swing several elections (unfortunately not in right direction).

This is definitely one, which I hate. Not just directed at her and her politics (which for a long while she kept private), but any major celebrity, who while they may be masters of their craft, are more often than not no more educated on politics than the guy who hands you your food at the McDonalds. That goes for celebrity Biden supporters and Trump supporters. I would argue that she has had more effect than James, or any other celebrity that I can recall. Her public saturation is just astounding. I mean, given my normal interests and news and cultural source exposure, I should be one of the last people in the country to know anything about her, yet here I am talking about her.

The idea that celebrities like her can, and have, swayed voting, is somewhat frightening to me. And I don't know that I can even put most of the blame on the celebrities themselves. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion in the US, famous or not. It's the fact that they have worshipping fans that will do impactful things (based on their numbers) on just a word from them that is socially scary.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2024, 09:40:33 AM »
I tried real hard to listen to one of her new albums a couple of yrs ago- seemed good at the time but I can't recall anything special.

she is not anything like the Beatles, that is a terrible comparison.
 the music industry is tightly controlled now, it is propaganda only - very few organic tunes are heard by folks these days .
 I have old friends that made it in the music industry and more than a few that didn't , they were all angry with Oliver Anthony or what ever his name was - the rich man north of Richmond guy .

the music industry only allows left-ism and will attempt to drown out any alternative voices  ( or really, really good music ) .
 Mozart died 232 yrs ago last week, serious musicians still play his music, serious people listen to it.
 232 yrs from now - people will know who The Beatles/Metallica were and serious people will play it and listen to it. ( as well as Mozart )

Which reminds me, go find Gamzada, her cover of Metallica's Unforgiven is remarkable

I have heard a couple different people talk about trying to make it playing music without signing with a record company.  Youtube has a lot music channels.  I don't pay much attention to most of it.  If someone can get popular on Youtube or other outlets, more power to them.  I get the impression the music industry is far too controlled and wrapped up in legal rules that make it tough for new bands to get in from the outside. 

I am not sure how current day music will be looked on decades from now.  Once all the current fans die off, will bands still be heard?  It seems to me we only have 80 or 100 years of history with the current media style.  Only a small percentage of bands/musicians are remembered from any given decade.  Assuming things continue sort of as they are, who knows what will be remembered 200 years from now.  That is a very long time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2024, 09:59:38 AM »
James' political action impact has been primarily in the young African American community, primarily males.

Swift's political action impact has been primarily among younger females, but it is, apparently, less race dependent.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2024, 10:01:18 AM »
"I am not sure how current day music will be looked on decades from now.  Once all the current fans die off, will bands still be heard?"

No one ever is.

For much of his career, many critics figured Elvis Presley's music would die out when he died.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2024, 10:07:08 AM »
Will you guys stop trying to date her!

:P
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2024, 10:08:44 AM »
Will you guys stop trying to date her!

:P

I don't need anymore nasty songs being sung about me.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2024, 01:25:00 PM »
"Other than being talked about a lot, and having very dedicated fans, do you think you could name 2 or 3 ways she's a "MAJOR cultural force"?"

Jesus wept, really?

Since you're apparently such an expert on modern culture, please give your learned opinion on how the others in that list DO qualify and Swift apparently doesn't.

And, since we're picking arbitrary numbers, please give 3.7927 reasons.

;/

OK, in simple terms...

You cannot gain the kind of continuous, multi-year media attention that Swift has garnered and not be a cultural force. Multi-media both reports on and helps define culture. A few weeks or months media attention is a flash in the pan. A decade plus? Major force factor.

Swift's battles with her previous label over ownership of her music masters has had a significant impact not just on the music industry but the entertainment industry in general and a growing impact on creative rights in all media.

I recall specifically disavowing any expertise on Swift. I don't claim to know the cultural significance of the others, either. I've long heard that Swift is a big influence on young women, but without any specifics. What you posted was interesting. Thanks.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2024, 04:30:46 PM »
Whoops, you're right, you did, I missed that and assumed that you were in the "girls don't have any significance at all" or "she's pretty and has a nice body so that's the only thing going for her" crowd that I've seen dismissing her over the past 20 years.

That started hard core when she absolutely cleaned up at the Grammys or AMCs when she was 16 or 17.

That same attitude has been rolled out for decades as a means of dismissing Dolly Parton's accomplishments.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2024, 04:48:34 PM »
 this is why we need to vote for Kanye West, he is the only one who can keep us safe from Swift and her minions!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2024, 05:03:16 PM »
this is why we need to vote for Kanye West, he is the only one who can keep us safe from Swift and her minions!

Ha - I forgot about that. I think it may have been the first time I'd paid any attention to the name.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2024, 11:13:57 PM »
Whoops, you're right, you did, I missed that and assumed that you were in the "girls don't have any significance at all" or "she's pretty and has a nice body so that's the only thing going for her" crowd that I've seen dismissing her over the past 20 years.

No, that's Candace Owens.  :lol:

I think I heard early-on that she writes her own songs (or at least most of them). I heard a lot of singer-songwriter stuff when I was growing up, so I respect that. On the other hand, I guess I'm just a little skeptical of most claims about the cultural influence of pop stars. I mean, they can't all be the Wyld Stallyns.   :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2024, 09:09:15 AM »
Non Compliant Huckleberry
@thepocketgeek
Whelp. Taylor Swift saw her shadow in Baltimore, so we get two more weeks of Taylor Swift.
https://twitter.com/thepocketgeek/status/1751745565916860805
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2024, 04:04:10 PM »
Trump Promises If Elected He Will Ban Taylor Swift From Football Games
https://babylonbee.com/news/trump-promises-if-elected-he-will-ban-taylor-swift-from-football-games
- Calvin and Hobbes