Author Topic: UNLV shooting  (Read 1372 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
UNLV shooting
« on: December 06, 2023, 04:00:42 PM »
And it looks like we got another one this time at University of Nevada in Las Vegas
Early reports say the Student Union building was targeted with multiple victims and that the suspect is dead

Stay tuned.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/unlv-shooting-12-06-23/index.html

Active shooter suspect is DEAD after multiple victims are wounded at University of Nevada's Las Vegas campus and students were ordered to 'RUN-HIDE-FIGHT'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12834141/Active-shooter-alert-University-Nevadas-Las-Vegas.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: UNLV shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 06:14:52 PM »
It will take a day or two for the dust to settle so the facts they want you to know can be released. Biden is coming to town Friday so expect a big "we need gun control and assault weapon ban now!!!" moment, if he can remember to get it out. The state legislature had the opportunity to address this a few years ago with Amanda Collins' bill to allow licensed students to carry on campus. It passed the state senate. Assembly Judiciary Chairman William Horne refused to bring the bill up for a vote, and is directly and personally guilty for any self-defense he prevented.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 06:27:59 PM »
"Assembly Judiciary Chairman William Horne refused to bring the bill up for a vote, and is directly and personally guilty for any self-defense he prevented."

Boy, that sounds right to me. We should extend that concept to other 2A areas.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 07:12:27 PM »
Three dead plus the gunman
I've see nothing on the weapon.
Biden calling for an "assault" weapons ban
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 07:18:05 PM »
 [tinfoil] mode on
Chuck said he was going to bring an assult ban up for vote today then we have two shootings.
 [tinfoil] mode off
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 07:22:27 PM »
"Active shooter suspect is DEAD after multiple victims are wounded at University of Nevada's Las Vegas campus and students were ordered to 'RUN-HIDE-FIGHT'"

You know, it would be one hell of a lot easier to fight if more students were armed and the *expletive deleted*ing left didn't think a slap fight was a proper deterrent. But yeah, I'm preaching to the goddamned choir.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 12:05:00 AM »
Well hell, how do we spin this one, the media is in full conference mode  now.

However, 8 News Now Investigators sources say the suspect is an older white man in his 60s. Those sources said the shooter was a former college professor who recently applied for a job at the university and was denied. He may have also had a connection to a person who works on campus.

More to follow.

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/unlv-police-report-shots-fired-on-campus/

In other news from Las Vegas there was a 16 year old jihadist arrested the other day. Las Vegas is crazy town.

https://www.kpax.com/16-year-old-arrested-in-las-vegas-for-making-terroristic-threats

bob

Opportunity

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 06:30:01 AM »
 14-year-old schoolgirl kills classmate and takes her own life in Russia
The tragedy in Bryansk has also left several people injured, local police have confirmed

https://www.rt.com/russia/588648-bryansk-girl-shooting-school/

I want to say that for any tragedy it is not necessary to have an assault weapon - a shotgun is enough...

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 06:58:30 AM »
I want to say that for any tragedy it is not necessary to have an assault weapon - a shotgun is enough...
Correct. Also good to remember that those who would try to restrict anything that can be misused won’t stop until they have restricted everything. A number of countries where guns are less available have had significant mass stabbings as well.

Interesting that the shooter was a female. Those types of cases are significant outliers.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 07:36:40 AM »
Right wing conspiracy nut will be the story pushed on this one

For years, the killer maintained a website about his life, he posted, among other things, about having decoded cryptic messages sent by the killer in the unsolved Zodiac murder case.

In another section of that page, Polito wrote about his love of Las Vegas, conspiracy theories as well as posting fawning praise from former students.

Some of his favorite movies include Michael Moore's Roger & Me, Oliver Stone's conspiracy-laden JFK and the film version of Ayn Rand's conservative epic, The Fountainhead.

And the media has their villain, Alex Jones. Only a link but that's usually enough for the media.

There is another section titled: 'Powerful Organizations Bent on Global Domination!'

Among the organizations listed are the Rothchild family, Bilderberg Group, the International Monetary Fund and Economics Department of MIT.

In that section, Polito posted a link to a website created by far-right wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

Anthony Polito, 67, who killed three staff at UNLV before being shot dead by cops had 15-page Zodiac Killer theory on website that also listed 'powerful organizations bent on global domination'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12836199/Anthony-Polito-UNLV-shooter-professor-rejected-job.html

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 07:48:47 AM »
Haven't seen confirmation yet but I'm suspecting handgun due to the silence on the usual "AR-15 style" weapon reporting.
But Biden and gang calling for a "assault" weapons ban after hearing about this anyway.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 07:49:05 AM »
Are we really going to take seriously the idea that a 67 year old college professor is right wing?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2023, 07:51:56 AM »
Are we really going to take seriously the idea that a 67 year old college professor is right wing?

Not really but note I said "Right wing conspiracy nut will be the story pushed on this one"

And remember, they found a link* to Alex Jones

*pun intended
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2023, 08:07:06 AM »
Correct. Also good to remember that those who would try to restrict anything that can be misused won’t stop until they have restricted everything. A number of countries where guns are less available have had significant mass stabbings as well.

I wonder how people in Great Britain currently cut their meat with their ridiculous knife laws.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2023, 08:13:03 AM »
The tragedy in Bryansk has also left several people injured, local police have confirmed

Crazy people will find a way, they always do, even in places where weapons of any kind are outright banned.

School attacks in China
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2023, 09:30:06 AM »
Never let facts get in the way of your politics

90%, yeah right.

Today I asked my colleagues to pass my universal firearms background checks legislation. It's supported by 90% of Americans and would save thousands of lives.

Republicans blocked it.

Three hours later, another mass shooting in UNLV.

This carnage is a choice. pic.twitter.com/WYLUqrGtxb
    — Chris Murphy 🟧 (@ChrisMurphyCT) December 6, 2023
https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/12/07/chris-murphy-90-of-americans-gun-grab-n2390574
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 09:32:05 AM »
Haven't seen confirmation yet but I'm suspecting handgun due to the silence on the usual "AR-15 style" weapon reporting.
But Biden and gang calling for a "assault" weapons ban after hearing about this anyway.

Yep, handgun

Polito, who used a handgun in the massacre, had connections to schools in other states and was on staff at East Carolina University in North Carolina between 2001 and 2017.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12836199/Anthony-Polito-UNLV-shooter-professor-rejected-job.html

This would have never happened if republicans had allowed the banning of bayonet lugs
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2023, 09:32:58 AM »
Never let facts get in the way of your politics

90%, yeah right.
https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/12/07/chris-murphy-90-of-americans-gun-grab-n2390574

I was just about to post this. I really wish one of the smartass Rs would have immediately followed up with, "91% of Americans are against this". I mean, if we're pulling numbers out of our asses and all.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2023, 07:32:46 PM »
I have been out today and came home and found this posted on a local board:

ABC article said:
Detectives have also retrieved the suspect’s phone and are now feverishly examining its contents for clues about what motivated the killer to mount his alleged attack to see if they need to hurriedly cover up any information in a similar manner to the Covenant school shooting.

Police are also combing his professional writings to determine whether something in those texts could shed light on the events that occurred on the UNLV campus be used to blame guns, conservatives, and further the gun ban narrative.

Fixed it for them...

I think he would fit in here just fine. I may have to let him know about this small corner of the interwebs.

bob

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2023, 09:21:47 PM »
 I believe the shooter was Filipino.
 Here in Reno, no one I talk to was even aware of the shooting.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BobR

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2023, 09:33:01 PM »
I believe the shooter was Filipino.
 Here in Reno, no one I talk to was even aware of the shooting.

Once the particulars were out, such as older, pistol, vendetta, the whole story fell off of the national news and was toned down here in LV.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2023, 10:35:11 AM »

I want to say that for any tragedy it is not necessary to have an assault weapon - a shotgun is enough..

That's right.  It's been known since 1939 from a Supreme Court case based on NFA34 that shotguns were never used in wartime.

The GIGO principle...

Garbage in to a SCOTUS opinion, garbage out.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 10:50:28 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2023, 10:54:36 AM »
https://owlcation.com/humanities/World-War-1-History-Germany-Declares-Shotgun-Inhumane

What evolved was the Model 97 Trench Gun, a pump-action 12-gauge shotgun with a 20-inch barrel, a sling swivel, and a bayonet adapter with a perforated metal heat shield over the barrel. Without the heat shield, the barrel could get too hot to hold when using the bayonet.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2023, 11:00:08 AM »
I'll add that I have no doubt the Supreme Court was informed but didn't care and just ruled based upon a lie. Our media and government (pardon the redundancy) have been doing such for a long time, lying to us. They both are an unfaithful source of legitimate information regularly. Trying to parse truth from error is tedious so I default to them being deceptive and weight what they say accordingly.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2023, 02:59:56 PM »
    Biden: "All these mass murders, not this weekend, but have been because people have picked up, kids have grabbed stuff off of counters ... we need to ban assault weapons" pic.twitter.com/B6Opn6o9pI
    — RNC Research (@RNCResearch) December 9, 2023

Father of Guy Charged With Federal Firearm Crime Lectures Us About 'Gun Safety' Again (Incoherently)
https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/12/09/father-of-guy-charged-with-federal-firearm-crime-lectures-us-about-gun-safety-again-incoherently-n2390667
- Calvin and Hobbes