Author Topic: So much for equal opportunity  (Read 801 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
So much for equal opportunity
« on: December 08, 2023, 03:16:04 PM »
https://www.city-journal.org/article/racial-discrimination-at-the-university-of-washington

When I was of college age, the "progressive" agenda was mostly about admitting a percentage of minority students even though they didn't meet admission criteria, giving them free tutoring over the summer before freshman year, and then giving them free tutoring over the summer following freshman year when they had failed most of their first year classes. Back then, as far as I know, faculty were still chosen based on objective criteria for identifying the best-qualified candidates for vacant positions.

Those days are long gone, apparently. The "progressives" have given up even paying lip service to equal opportunity, and are now overtly engaging in blatant racism under the banner of "diversity and inclusion."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: So much for equal opportunity
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 03:39:10 PM »
https://www.city-journal.org/article/racial-discrimination-at-the-university-of-washington

When I was of college age, the "progressive" agenda was mostly about admitting a percentage of minority students even though they didn't meet admission criteria, giving them free tutoring over the summer before freshman year, and then giving them free tutoring over the summer following freshman year when they had failed most of their first year classes. Back then, as far as I know, faculty were still chosen based on objective criteria for identifying the best-qualified candidates for vacant positions.

Those days are long gone, apparently. The "progressives" have given up even paying lip service to equal opportunity, and are now overtly engaging in blatant racism under the banner of "diversity and inclusion."

Welcome to 2020.

Because systemic racism against bipeds of color is so horrible (if only imaginary), it must be countered by systemic racism against bipeds of paleness. (Note: the systemic racism against bipeds of paleness will be real.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 05:58:22 PM »
"Bipeds of paleness' would be an excellent name for a band.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 06:29:58 PM »
I identify as flesh colored

Anyone here remember these?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 08:36:42 AM »
Rachel Dolezal knew that minorities had hiring advantages years ago.

So did Elizabeth Warren and Ward Churchill.

And I know first hand that at least as far back as the 1970s, MANY college applicants found that claiming minority status was an advantage when making an application to both college admissions AND various scholarship programs.

The only difference is that the racism is blatantly overt today and is justified by odious and self-righteous virtue signaling, with particularly vituperative condemnation of those who point it out.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 09:45:50 AM »
^  Racist !

The tipping point has been reached.

Hyperfairness has been institutionalized.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 10:26:51 AM »
There is a place, where I may or may not work, that has recently taken to requiring job applicants to submit a "diversity statement" to ensure no conservative is ever hired again.

They are also actively trying to avoid hiring white men.