Author Topic: New chili recipe today...  (Read 1395 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
New chili recipe today...
« on: December 10, 2023, 08:02:17 AM »
Going to dispense with the tomatoes and make a white chili today.

Friend of mine made it earlier this week with his family and apparently everyone loved it.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/white-chicken-chili/#jump-to-recipe

I'm not going to use the rotisserie chicken, I'm using some left over roasted chicken thighs that I had in the freezer.

Unfortunately I forgot to get cilantro, but I did get a lime, so we're good there.

I can't remember the last time I had white chili, and I know that I've never made it before. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: New chili recipe today...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 06:40:25 PM »
Discussing chili recipes is like discussing politics AND religion.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 07:00:06 PM »
Well we're going to discuss it some more because I made it and IT IS FREAKING AWESOME.

I HIGHLY recommend this one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 08:51:49 PM »
Did the first step involve BACON?
If not, discard recipe.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 09:09:42 PM »
I often don't put any tomatoes in my red chili.  (when I do, it's one small can just as an extender)  It's plenty red from the dried peppers.  I entered it in a chili cookoff at work 20 or 30 years ago and nobody liked it because it wasn't the tomato beef soup with celery and bell peppers they were used to  :laugh:
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 06:32:09 AM »
Did the first step involve BACON?
If not, discard recipe.

It can if you want it to. Because that's what chili is... it's not a recipe, it's a state of mind. So try it or not, I don't care.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 08:28:46 AM »
I love me a good white chili.

When pretentious asshats go on about that is not chili, but this is. I make reference to this.

From National Geographic.

Everette Lee DeGolyer, oil millionaire and occasional chili scholar, believed that the first chili was an early 19th-century form of trail food: dried beef, fat, and chile peppers pounded together and shaped into packable chili bricks that could be reconstituted in boiling water over a campfire

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 05:42:43 PM »
It's chili, it has a 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper in the recipe. It's sort of like the one drop rule  :rofl:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 06:56:23 AM »
This stuff was so good that I'm thinking seriously about making it again this weekend.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 08:28:55 PM »
Hope you enjoyed your American White Bean Stew today!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 09:00:41 AM »
Haven't made it yet. This afternoon. Makes for really filling lunches at work.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2023, 10:14:57 AM »
Haven't made it yet. This afternoon. Makes for really filling lunches at work.

It does look good, I like pretty much all bean dishes. I'm just yanking your chain.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2023, 04:24:41 PM »
Well, it literally is a stew... with beans...

Just like "REAL!!!!!! TRADITIONAL!!!!" chili is a stew...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2023, 05:58:18 PM »
Well, it literally is a stew... with beans...

Just like "REAL!!!!!! TRADITIONAL!!!!" chili is a stew...

No, real chili is a dried loaf of fat, meat, and peppers.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2023, 07:12:07 AM »
No, real chili is a dried loaf of fat, meat, and peppers.

Exactly. The peppers and meat are reconstituted and stewed in water and fat.

More importantly, though, the dish you're holding out to be "real" chili existed WELL before the "invention" of chili bricks in the early 1800s.

Chili peppers have been cultivated in the Americas for over 10,000 years. Kind of silly to think that "real" chili somehow originated 9,800 or so years after Indians had been stewing their peppers with whatever meat that they hunted on any given day and whatever other vegetation that they either cultivated or gathered.

Various types of beans were known to have been cultivated in Mexico and the Southern part of the United States 7,000 years ago.

Tomatoes originated in the Andes and were known in central and northern Mexico by the time of the Aztec Empire.

Thank God, however, that those Aztecs and other indigenous peoples never dared to put all of those ingredients in the same cooking container and stew them together, for to do so is an abomination before Clyde, who knows the God's honest truth of what chili is and won't broach anything that might challenge that.

I've said it before here and other places. The concept of "real" chili, the one true Godhead recipe upon which the absolute truth of chili originated is, and will forever be, is complete and total bullshit.

And considering that turkeys were common, and even domesticated and cultivated, in the Americas at the same time as all of the above, it's very likely that the Azetcs and other natives dined on.... TURKEY CHILI!  (Clyde and all of his like-minded compatriots just had collective apoplexies...)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 06:51:57 AM by K Frame »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2023, 11:06:55 AM »
...and chili without beans, might as well be spicy spaghetti sauce.  [popcorn]

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2023, 11:33:07 AM »
...and chili without beans, might as well be spicy spaghetti sauce.  [popcorn]

Cincinnati chili?  =D
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2023, 07:21:33 PM »
I think I'm an outlier here but I like Skyline/Cincinnati chili.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2023, 07:41:13 PM »

I like it too, the cinnamon and chocolate had a nice twist to it. Plus, it tends to get a Texan's panties in a wad.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2023, 06:50:26 AM »

Not at all. I love Cincinnati-style chili.

I'll frequently put a dash or more of cinnamon in mine when I'm making it. Normally don't put chocolate in it, though, as I generally don't have unsweetened chocolate powder in the house.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2024, 04:44:19 PM »
With this weekend's predicted trend for falling temperatures, it's a perfect time to make up a big batch of this bean stew.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2024, 12:13:36 PM »
Sounds a lot like a recipe my wife makes now and again.  The name is the same and the ingredients are very close to what she uses.  It is great stuff.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2024, 12:49:09 PM »
Sounds a lot like a recipe my wife makes now and again.  The name is the same and the ingredients are very close to what she uses.  It is great stuff.

I wasn't sure at first what recipe you were talking about.  :)  (duh, the only one posted in the thread)  My mom used to make something like Skyline chili but with elbow macaroni and no cinnamon.  She called it "goulash".

The recipe in the first post does look good.  I would use canned jalapenos (canned, not pickled) instead of canned green chiles and maybe double the cayenne, and even then I wouldn't call the dish "chili".  But I'd sure eat it! 😋
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2024, 01:07:40 PM »
"My mom used to make something like Skyline chili but with elbow macaroni and no cinnamon.  She called it "goulash"."

We had a thread about Goulash, aka American Chop Suey, aka Slumgullion, a couple of years ago. My Mom made it every once in awhile when I was a kid. I didn't care for it much then, but I've grown quite fond of it over the past couple of years.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2024, 01:08:25 PM »