Author Topic: Missouri Company Used in Gun Buybacks Doesn’t Actually Destroy the Guns  (Read 879 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Missouri Company Used in Gun Buybacks Doesn’t Actually Destroy the Guns
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/missouri-company-used-in-gun-buybacks-doesnt-actually-destroy-the-guns-41427389

Yet an in-depth investigation published Sunday by the New York Times found that Gunbusters — as well as many other similar companies — often only destroys a very specific part of the gun called the frame, affixed with the gun's serial number. Gunbusters then sells the firearm's remaining components.

Those components, the paper found, can be used as replacement parts in another gun or can even wind up being used to build a "ghost gun," a firearm that is virtually untraceable because its frame has no serial number. 

Looks like someone figured out that melting down the entire gun costs more money.  But if they allow the company to just destroy the frame, that company can reduce cost by selling the parts.  Makes perfect sense to me, but I guess it wasn't something that occurred to gun grabbers. 

The statement from Reed went on to say that when the company has an initial meeting with police departments, the police are offered a choice for any guns turned over to be completely pulverized, for a fee, or for only the frames to be destroyed, for free, with the remainder of the weapon “salvaged.”

NYT link
The Guns Were Said to Be Destroyed. Instead, They Were Reborn.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/10/us/guns-disposal-recycling.html
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: Missouri Company Used in Gun Buybacks Doesn’t Actually Destroy the Guns
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 07:52:45 PM »
I read this last week on the news site that shall not be named.  My first reaction was quick and instinctive. "Haha. BATF said so. Only the receiver is the gun. Haha"

Then I got scared. "Uh oh. That bit of bureaucratic minutia is best kept on the QT."
Last thing we need is grabbers petitioning for a change in definition to include bolts, barrels and the up thing
7-11 was a part time job.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 08:02:01 PM »
I read this last week on the news site that shall not be named.  My first reaction was quick and instinctive. "Haha. BATF said so. Only the receiver is the gun. Haha"

Then I got scared. "Uh oh. That bit of bureaucratic minutia is best kept on the QT."
Last thing we need is grabbers petitioning for a change in definition to include bolts, barrels and the up thing

They already have been
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 11:07:58 PM »
Those components, the paper found, can be used as replacement parts in another gun or can even wind up being used to build a "ghost gun," a firearm that is virtually untraceable because its frame has no serial number.

Wouldn't that actually be a Frankenstein gun?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 08:57:09 AM »
They already have been
That is the new frame and receiver rule they are trying to push through. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 10:46:10 AM »

I've been bellyaching for many years about calling AR-style uppers "upper receivers" based on the same premise.  It's like leaving your car doors open with your wallet on the dashboard.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 11:19:52 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 11:21:34 AM »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 11:44:26 AM »
Missouri Company Used in Gun Buybacks Doesn’t Actually Destroy the Guns
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/missouri-company-used-in-gun-buybacks-doesnt-actually-destroy-the-guns-41427389

Looks like someone figured out that melting down the entire gun costs more money.  But if they allow the company to just destroy the frame, that company can reduce cost by selling the parts.  Makes perfect sense to me, but I guess it wasn't something that occurred to gun grabbers. 

NYT link
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/10/us/guns-disposal-recycling.html

They actually do destroy the guns, but they salvage some of the parts.  NYT is just trying to create a shitstorm. (disclaimer: I've only read the first few sentences because it's behind a paywall) 

When "Cash for Clunkers" was around, the scrap yards had to destroy the engines.  They then had 180 days to destroy the rest of the vehicle but in the meantime they could strip off and salvage any parts that still had value, like the tires and catalytic converters.  (it was a stupid and terrible program, BTW)
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 11:58:31 AM »
Gun parts let loose back into the wild where they could kill again!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 09:25:18 PM »
Gun parts let loose back into the wild where they could kill again belong!

FIFY

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2023, 08:17:58 AM »
I was mocking news headlines.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2023, 10:25:47 AM »
I was mocking news headlines.

Well, you did it wrong. There was no mention of how the dangerous gun parts are most likely to kill gay black trans Muslim women of color. Because of Trump.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2023, 01:49:03 PM »
Meanwhile I've got a couple "gunbuster" (string to search on) auctions on my watchlist at Gunborker, hoping to pick up a parts kit for something.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 07:19:20 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.