Author Topic: Bone in beef roast or boneless New York strip roast?  (Read 850 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Bone in beef roast or boneless New York strip roast?
« on: December 14, 2023, 06:54:05 AM »
OK, my local grocery has beef rib roasts on sale for $4.77 a pound, and boneless New York strip roast on sale for $5.99 a pound. Best prices I've seen on beef roasts like that in a long time.

I'm thinking that I'll get one of these and make it for my Christmas dinner.

Question is, which one?

I don't cook beef all that often, and I've never cooked one of these. Most of my beef cooking is pot roast, eye round roast, etc., in the crock pot.

So, hive mind, which is preferred? Which would be the better Christmas meal? Which would be better for left overs?

And, how the hell do I cook them?

I'm leaning towards the New York strip roast because boneless... and I've found some interesting sous vide type recipes for it, like this one...

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/sous-vide-new-york-strip-roast-with-bourbon-cream-pan-sauce/

Or a simpler one, like this one from Omaha steaks...

https://www.grillseeker.com/sous-vide-ny-strip-steak-with-compound-herb-butter/

Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Bone in beef roast or boneless New York strip roast?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 02:18:06 PM »
Really?

None of you God fearin, beer drinkin, 'Murica loving SOBs has any thoughts on this?

*expletive deleted*it, maybe I'll just make some tofu... :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 02:32:14 PM »
Allergic to beef and I'm spending NYE with a red head.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 02:45:55 PM »
I would buy the biggest rib roast they have, at least 5 ribs. Cut the ribs off and freeze until you have a hankering for ribs for dinner. Slice the rest into ribeyes of your preferred thickness and freeze what you don't eat now for later. Or do the same with the NY roast. For cooking I am very partial to doing steaks on my Traeger. Smoke at 220 degrees until about 105 Internal temp and take off and rest for 10ish minutes. By now my cast iron on the charcoal is as hot as the surface of the sun, or close. Sear the steak in the cast iron, 60-90 seconds per side, take off, rest for 5 minutes and then enjoy a MR steak. Or you can do the whole rib roast with a salt encrusted recipe. Then there is the recipe where you cook hot and fast for a short time and then turn off the oven and let it sit. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221958/chef-johns-perfect-prime-rib/

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 02:49:02 PM »
Rib roast is better and cheaper, but there's more waste (so buy a larger one than you think)  You'll get a lot of that waste back when you make soup with the bones, plus dog treats.

I've only seen NY strip as steaks.  IIRC it's one side of a porterhouse, so a good cut but I don't know how to roast it.  You could cut it into steaks.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 07:05:01 AM »
Talked it over with a foodie friend of mine last night. Talked through the pros and cons of each, and decided that I'm going to get a NY Strip Roast.

Preparation will be a spice rub (TBD) followed by a 4 or so hour sous vide bath to bring it up to 133 degrees followed by a sear in my cast iron pan.

Rest, slice, and eat.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 07:09:35 AM »
Found this spice rub that looks interesting...

¼ cup Kosher salt
2½ tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons garlic powder
4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons chili powder

Although, I'm thinking that I might replace some, or all, of the chili powder with smoked paprika.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 12:19:53 PM »
Picked up a very nice looking 4 pound NY Strip Roast.

Also picked up shrimp for dinner on Christmas eve.

I guess Seren and I are ready.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 02:20:40 PM »
Buy a couple or four.  Some for eating, some for slicing thin, marinating and making jerky.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 04:40:34 PM »
Nah. I don't eat that much beef.

It it were chuck roast, that would be a different matter entirely. I use chuck for pot roast, stew, beef boogaloo a la Ben, and borscht.

But this is a treat for Christmas.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 09:26:20 AM »
We made a couple of big standing rib roasts this weekend for a family dinner.  Very happy with the result.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2023, 08:30:48 AM »
Salted the roast yesterday afternoon, and it's been in the fridge since. Around 11 I'll rinse it, rub it with a spice rub, then put it in the sous vide for 4 to 5 hours at 130.

Then I'll sear the living hell out of it.

The only thing that worries me is the searing. I don't have a range hood that vents to the outside. It recirculates. It's going to get smokey in here.

After the sear I'll use the juice in the bag to make a port wine reduction gravy with shallots and mushrooms.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2023, 08:49:53 AM »
Salted the roast yesterday afternoon, and it's been in the fridge since. Around 11 I'll rinse it, rub it with a spice rub, then put it in the sous vide for 4 to 5 hours at 130.

Then I'll sear the living hell out of it.

The only thing that worries me is the searing. I don't have a range hood that vents to the outside. It recirculates. It's going to get smokey in here.

After the sear I'll use the juice in the bag to make a port wine reduction gravy with shallots and mushrooms.

That reduction gravy sounds like something I'd want to drink straight.

Get your windows open to avoid the smoke alarms. Ask me how one time I nearly cost the taxpayers a few hundred thousand in Navy aircraft response when I set off the galley smoke alarm at the Santa Cruz Island station while searing bulgogi for dinner for Hot Ukrainian ex-coworker and me.  :rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 09:05:53 AM »
Yep, I'm going to take the box fan down and get it ready to put in one of the new windows.

I'll crack the patio door, and with the fan in the dining room window it's a straight shot from the fan through the kitchen to the patio door.

I forgot to get red wine, which is part of the recipe for the sauce, so I'm going to have to wing it. Probably just use more beef broth. I'm thinking of simmering the beef stock with a onion in it to get a better depth of flavor going.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2023, 11:56:44 AM »
Roast is in the sous vide.

But... I just realized that my bottle of port wine is... nearly 30 years old.

It's been refrigerated the whole time, but damn. That's a long time to be sitting.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2023, 01:36:49 PM »
OK, barely enough port wine to make the gravy base. Should be good, though.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2023, 03:30:31 PM »
Did you taste the 30 year old port?  What did you think?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2023, 04:33:10 PM »
Eating now.

Really good, but a bit of a pain in the ass to make this dinner. Still, glad that I did.

Roast is REALLY good, even if I did set off the smoke detectors. Perfect medium rare, although the spices burned a bit more than I'd like when I seared it.

Gravy is quite tasty, as well. Yes, you can taste the port. Shallot, garlic, and sauteed mushrooms added to the gravy really bring it out.

Sour cream horseradish sauce is the final accompaniment for the beef. And broccoli and mashed potatoes.

Seren definitely gives it two paws up.

I think were I to do anything differently with the same size piece of beef I'd not salt it for nearly as long.