Author Topic: Zuckerberg's Zombie Apocalypse Compound  (Read 1433 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Zuckerberg's Zombie Apocalypse Compound
« on: December 16, 2023, 09:24:52 AM »
I understand he has one in New Zealand too, but this is an interesting write-up on his Hawaiian compound. From the "pre-apocalypse" viewpoint, I found the beach guardhouses and beach patrols interesting. Unless something has changed, Hawaii has had a pretty strict "all beaches are open to everyone" policy. I'm curious what his security people say to anyone walking down "his" beach, or what they'd do if 1000 protestors showed up on the beach and on surfboards to just hang out there.

Otherwise, one thing about all these bazillionaire bunkers: If something globally bad happens quickly, you gotta kind of be at your bunker for it to help you, and most of these people seem to be on the road between all their homes all over the world. Gonna kind of suck when you're at your NYC penthouse when the *expletive deleted*it goes down, and you can't catch a plane to Kauai.

https://www.wired.com/story/mark-zuckerberg-inside-hawaii-compound/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Zuckerberg's Zombie Apocalypse Compound
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 12:36:45 PM »
I am disappoint that the article does not go into detail on the onsite bunker medical facility, armory, and range that I would surely build if I was Mr. Zuckerberg.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 12:52:24 PM »
I find it amusing that Zuckerberg et al assume they are going to be safe in their little hideaway bunkers for any extended period of time should SHTF.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 01:44:57 PM »
I find it amusing that Zuckerberg et al assume they are going to be safe in their little hideaway bunkers for any extended period of time should SHTF.

Yep, everyone knows it is there.  They will know there are food and supplies stored there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 05:31:48 PM »
Yep, everyone knows it is there.  They will know there are food and supplies stored there.

That is when your private security/mercenaries, armory, and medical facility start earning their keep.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 05:55:25 PM »
That is when your private security/mercenaries, armory, and medical facility start earning their keep.

Until they run out of ammo.  Which will happen sooner or later because folks know about the food and supplies stored there.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 06:15:22 PM »
Well, supposedly the underground bunker portion is pretty impenetrable (at least against the average rabble), if they want to go the Morlock route.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 07:28:31 PM »
Well, supposedly the underground bunker portion is pretty impenetrable (at least against the average rabble), if they want to go the Morlock route.

Given enough time and a determined rabble I am sure there are air intake vents somewhere. They aren't going to suck air out of the dirt. ;)

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 07:50:08 PM »
Given enough time and a determined rabble I am sure there are air intake vents somewhere. They aren't going to suck air out of the dirt. ;)

bob
Do submarines have air intake vents? Couldn't a billionaire bunker use a similar system?

As for avoiding trouble when TSHTF, I remember reading a story about a guy who survived WWI and decided to sit out WWII in an obscure place nobody ever heard of so he could ignore the war . . .  he relocated to an out of the way island called Iwo Jima.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 07:57:41 PM »
Do submarines have air intake vents? Couldn't a billionaire bunker use a similar system?

I remember a long time ago reading about anti-radiation vents in fallout shelters and concealing them or hardening them or something, specifically to protect them from bad guys.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 09:35:34 AM »
I am sure the Atlas/Titan/Minuteman missile silo/Mt. Weather bunker, etc., engineers solved the air supply problem a long time ago. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2023, 09:53:08 AM »
I am sure the Atlas/Titan/Minuteman missile silo/Mt. Weather bunker, etc., engineers solved the air supply problem a long time ago.

Yup, and the Zuck has more money than them, so I'm sure it has been taken care of.  =)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2023, 10:51:29 AM »
Yup, and the Zuck has more money than them, so I'm sure it has been taken care of.  =)
Key point. I may not have the $$$ to provide air in a "closed" system, so MY bunker would need air vents. (Like Ben, I remember reading about concealing air vents and filtering the intakes.)

But I imagine a billionaire could lay in a supply of scrubbers & recyclers that would let him stay closed off from the outside for a long time. Thing is, if hostiles know where the bunker is, given enough time, they'll manage to breach it. So the bunker would largely be a shelter to survive the initial calamity.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2023, 10:58:02 AM »
If things got bad enough to where he needed to stay down there for months things are bad enough for something like this to be the answer to his bunker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_Crater

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2023, 02:20:19 PM »
If things got bad enough to where he needed to stay down there for months things are bad enough for something like this to be the answer to his bunker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_Crater

Eh  There would be limited egress options.  Simpler to put cameras at each and have a rotation of dudes monitoring them (pr just use motion sensors).  Have a QRF that can respond when they open a door.  Plus high fencing all around each door.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2023, 05:55:21 PM »

As for avoiding trouble when TSHTF, I remember reading a story about a guy who survived WWI and decided to sit out WWII in an obscure place nobody ever heard of so he could ignore the war . . .  he relocated to an out of the way island called Iwo Jima.

Yes Subs can take in fresh air while submerged at periscope depth by means of a snorkel mast. Either for ventilation or to run the emergency diesel. This was not used during "sensitive" operations.
However, there are several ways to manage atmosphere in a closed environment.
my first boat did not have an O2 generator so we relied on stored oxygen in high pressure storage tanks and we also relied heavily on chlorate candle for the bulk of our oxygen needs. for CO2 removal we had a CO2 scrubber and could use lithium hydroxide as a back up to that. For CO removal we had a catalytic CO burner. On my 2nd boat we also had a O2 generator that used electrolysis to break down seawater and dumped the excess hydrogen overboard by means of a diffuser system that created no bubble. The O2 generator was affectionally nicknamed "the bomb".

I always get a chuckle out of people that have a bug-out compound someplace away from their regular home. If you ain't there when the SHTF you probably ain't gonna get there.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2023, 07:13:56 PM »
During he Cuban missile crisis I was working in Manhattan and Wife1 and I lived out in Flushing, Queens.  That crisis developed over time.  During the most critical moments many people took off to go home and be with their families, including me, with my new wife.  On the way home (the outbound subways were almost as crowded as at the 5 PM rush hour) I was mentally calculating the blast radius of the then-atomic bombs and figuring we would probably still be too close to one dropped in, say, Central Park.  By the time I got home to Wife1 I realized that "they" would not drop one bomb in Central Park, but would blanket the whole area.  So we stayed in the house until Russia finally agreed to pull the missiles out of Cuba.

I can see bunkers out in the boonies, but for the most part, I wonder if it would even be worth coming out at all to the utter devastation.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 06:55:09 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2023, 07:18:37 PM »
It seems to me they are the most likely people to give you problems.  At some point, you need provide some protection for the people you depend on to defend you (and their families). 

Plus, your mercenaries may not be willing to kill a bunch of hungry civilians.  If they were, that adds some additional mistrust. 

Him being on an island is likely the best defense he has.  As mentioned above, if he isn't there when the crap goes down, he may not be able to get there.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2023, 07:59:58 PM »
Keep in mind the ultra wealthy usually own at least one private jet with East coast to Hawaii unrefuelled range.  If they can get to the airport the plane is at they can probably get to Hawaii even if all out nuclear war is happening. 

Though as someone mentioned would you really want to survive only to come out to such devastation?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2023, 12:52:55 AM »
If *expletive deleted*it gets real, his money is worthless. That means the society he depends on is toast. That means, his guards will be inclined to take his stuff. What is he going to do, fire them? Call the cops? Blam- blam, sorry 'ol mark, all your stuff are belong to us.

This is the classic problem for the powerful.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2023, 07:08:12 AM »
I'm getting one of those "Internal Server Error" messages.  Will try again.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 08:15:40 AM by 230RN »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2023, 08:12:46 AM »
sumpnz remarked,

"Keep in mind the ultra wealthy usually own at least one private jet with East coast to Hawaii unrefuelled range.  If they (and the pilot and he copilot etc) can get to the airport the plane is at they can probably get to Hawaii even if all out nuclear war is happening."

In addition, there is an inherent personnel problem.  Everyone who is helping you get away will want a ride for themselves and their families.

Besides, in the case of Hawaiii, it is the most concentrated western base of US military power.  Oahu will be plastered flat.  (Don't know on which island Zuck has his compound, but chances are the other islands will be granted a similar courtesy --and Guam and the Aleutians...)

Rocketman said,

"...until they run out of ammo..." ...or out of personal guards, who will be sniped at interminably.  You can store 100,000 rounds of ammo easily, but you can't store 100,000 guards.  <evil grin>

That crater was very impressive, but bear in mind that was a smallish underground shot to determine excavation effectiveness (hole-making ability) in Project Plowshare if I recall correctly.  Nevertheless, if it were an airburst, you could count on a large area of devastation.

A smallish airburst:

(Source BBC)

Terry, 230RN

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2023, 08:16:08 AM »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2023, 09:13:59 AM »

That crater was very impressive, but bear in mind that was a smallish underground shot to determine excavation effectiveness (hole-making ability) in Project Plowshare if I recall correctly.  Nevertheless, if it were an airburst, you could count on a large area of devastation.

A smallish airburst:

(Source BBC)

Terry, 230RN

yep, as is stated in the article I linked to
H and N were air bursts to maximize above surface area wide damage.  If going for a bunker system you go for a ground burst and let the resulting ground shock waves do the work of collapsing the bunker. Ground bursts also usually result in far more fall out.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2023, 10:09:47 AM »

I'm guessing his mercenaries will decide they would rather take it all for themselves first, rather than take orders from autistic lizard man.