Author Topic: MS Office 365 foibles  (Read 488 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
MS Office 365 foibles
« on: December 16, 2023, 07:22:47 PM »
Does anyone here use MS Office 365? (Does anyone here NOT use Office 365?)

I spent the afternoon at the home of my pastor, helping him upload revisions to his book to the Amazon KDP self-publishing site. While we were working, we wanted to look at the revised manuscript in Word. I had worked on it at home, adding on a bibliography that was omitted from the original version. I copied the revised file from a thumb drive onto his computer (Windows 11 running Office 365) and then opened the file. It opened in view-only mode, and would NOT allow us to edit.

Whazzup wit dat? I used Word 2019 for my edits. When I create documents at home and take them to work, my computer at work doesn't cause any problems.

Suggestions welcome.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: MS Office 365 foibles
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 07:57:28 PM »
dont' have office anything here at home, but I have customers on 365.

I think there's a place in options, where you can specified trusted locations for files.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 07:57:49 PM »
(Does anyone here NOT use Office 365?)

LibreOffice user
Drop MS-Office since MS decided I couldn't reinstall 2013 office after a system wipe and expected me to buy a whole new copy.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 08:15:49 PM »
(Does anyone here NOT use Office 365?)

I use LibreOffice also.  Don't want to spend that much money for a word processor and light-weight spreadsheet use.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 09:49:31 PM »
 ;/ Humpf.
I'm still using Office 2000 on a Windows 7 machine.
  :old:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 10:43:43 PM »
Have to use it at work. Everything is clunky as *expletive deleted*it because Microsoft wanted to make stuff look fancy.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 12:07:26 AM »
A bit of Internet surfing led to the unsurprising discovery that a LOT of people seem to have encountered the same issue, beginning in mid-2022 with the roll-out of Microsoft 365 version 2206. It apparently has something to do with how Word handles "trusted documents" (whatever those are), and the alleged solutions offered on the Microsoft "help" site -- as usual -- don't agree with one another, and don't seem to make any sense.

I've suggested to the good Padre that, considering his use of the software, he should save his money and just use FreeOffice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design