Author Topic: Forgotten Cookies -- easy Christmas Cookie  (Read 439 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Forgotten Cookies -- easy Christmas Cookie
« on: December 22, 2023, 08:30:43 AM »
These were a staple in our home when I was growing up. Mom would make batch after batch of them. In part because they were so quick and simple, in part because everyone loved them.

Ingredients

2 large egg whites, at room temperature (separate eggs carefully. If any yoke gets in, discard or you won't get meringue)

2/3 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 pinch fine salt

1 cup pecans, finely chopped

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Steps to Make It

Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Beat the egg whites until foamy. You can do this by hand with a whisk, but it's much faster to use a hand mixer or a standing mixer on medium speed.

Gradually (1 T at a time) add the sugar and continue beating the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.

Add the vanilla and salt. Blend well.

Using a spatula, fold in the pecans and chocolate chips by hand.

Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.

Put the cookies in the preheated oven and then turn the oven off.

Leave the cookies in the oven overnight, keeping the door closed so the heat doesn't escape too quickly, for about 10 hours.

Variations:

We always omitted the nuts and went with chocolate chips.

Add 2 to 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder for chocolate cookies.

Omit the vanilla and add 1/2 to 1 t mint, orange, or almond extract.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
Re: Forgotten Cookies -- easy Christmas Cookie
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 11:47:33 PM »
From the sounds of your "cooking methods", these cookies aren't so much "cooked" as "dried out" (dehydrated).  Is that right?
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Forgotten Cookies -- easy Christmas Cookie
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 06:58:09 AM »
Correct.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.