Author Topic: VPN intermittently blocks web sites  (Read 394 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
VPN intermittently blocks web sites
« on: December 27, 2023, 09:16:48 AM »
I used ProtonVPN (paid) on all my Android and Windows devices.  Occasionally, when using my Windows 11 desktop and using Google search and clicking on the search links, I receive an error message that I am not connected to the internet, or my virus/firewall software is blocking access, or the like.  Reloading the page usually results in the same error messages.  These are sites like Amazon, or Vanguard, or the Seattle Times, so I am pretty confident it is not an actual virus or firewall issue.  But when I disconnnect ProtonVPN and click the link again, it goes right through.

This makes me think it is a VPN issue.  Is there a particular setting I should be looking at?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: VPN intermittently blocks web sites
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 09:20:33 AM »
My guess is that the blocking is going the other direction.

Sometimes traffic over VPNs looks suspicious, whether legitimate (lots of users connecting from the same IP logged into lots of different accounts) or illegitimate (someone using a VPN to conceal malicious activity).  If a lot of traffic from a given IP address appears to be suspicious, that VPN endpoint might be blocked by a domain, or by a shared security service that multiple domains use.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
Re: VPN intermittently blocks web sites
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 02:27:18 PM »
Poor wireless or physical connection?  Did you move equipment around recently?  Maybe the "blockage" is really an "openage." The handshaking may be getting garbled.

Device1 to device2: "Izzat you, Device2?
Device2: "Ye , it's me, D vice1."
Device1:  "Say again?"
Device2:  "Waddayou deaf or something?  Y    ,  's m ."
Device1:  "CUL."
:rofl:

Wiggle physicals, move wirelessals out of possible radio shadows.  At wireless wavelengths, they start acting more like light.

That's all I got.  Pretty generic.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 03:47:27 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.