Author Topic: David Cole on building allies  (Read 279 times)

Pb

• friend
David Cole on building allies
« on: December 28, 2023, 03:31:36 PM »
David Cole is a pretty unpleasant person, but he is also shrewd in many ways....

He's got an interesting article about building allies, instead of attacking potential recruits.  And frankly, I've been guilty of this myself.  Here's a bit of it:

Rightists can influence, but by harnessing prevailing winds instead of scolding them. Reagan understood this. When Carter angered Jews over Israel, did Reagan scold? “Well, you idiot Jews voted Dem so enjoy the fruits of your stupidity! Rot, you kikes.” No, Reagan exploited; in 1980 he nearly matched Eisenhower’s record GOP take of the Jewish vote. Because Reagan was…oh, *expletive deleted*it, what’s that word? That word Republicans aren’t anymore…

Oh, yeah: “smart.”

Today’s rightists prefer “go away I hate you” over “welcome to the club” because their idols are mediocre thinkers who, as the untalented always do, gravitate toward shock angles over substantial contributions. Candace Owens is just Luther Campbell with boobs. Campbell, of 1990s 2 Live Crew fame, possessed no talent, zero musical ability. So his “shows” consisted of him getting BJs live on stage. Of course, he’d get arrested by white lawmen for indecent exposure, so he became legendary for being a balls-out (literally) fearless hero!

https://www.takimag.com/article/calvin-and-hobbled/

MechAg94

• friend
Re: David Cole on building allies
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 06:13:36 PM »
The problem with that is the same thing we make fun of with leftists.  No matter how many smart "Rightists" out there do that and more stuff he wouldn't come up with, people like him will still find a stupid person to point to and say they are right. 

That said, I don't necessarily think doing that will suddenly win the Jewish vote.  The big tent strategy only works for so long before all those extra people say no to everything you try to do because they disagree with your fundamental views.  Pleasing everyone gets you 2000 page bills being voted on and $30 Trillion in debt.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 10:08:13 AM »
The problem with that is the same thing we make fun of with leftists.  No matter how many smart "Rightists" out there do that and more stuff he wouldn't come up with, people like him will still find a stupid person to point to and say they are right. 

That said, I don't necessarily think doing that will suddenly win the Jewish vote.  The big tent strategy only works for so long before all those extra people say no to everything you try to do because they disagree with your fundamental views.  Pleasing everyone gets you 2000 page bills being voted on and $30 Trillion in debt.

What are the fundamental views of the Republican party?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 10:51:04 AM »
I don't think either party really has any fundamental views, unfortunately.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 10:52:08 AM »
I don't think either party really has any fundamental views, unfortunately.

$$$$$$
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 11:20:28 AM »
What are the fundamental views of the Republican party?

I don't know if parties really have fundamental views. They have platforms that are intended to reflect (more or less well) the views of a bloc of voters. The platform should be attractive to enough voters to win elections.

Naturally, the platform isn't the only reason why people support one party over another. Public perception and tradition/habit can keep a lot of people voting for a party that doesn't represent their views, even if another party is a better match for them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 11:45:37 AM »
$$$$$$

Ok, well, you are right about that.   =D