Author Topic: Kel-Tec releases Gen 3 Sub2k  (Read 956 times)

dogmush

• friend
Kel-Tec releases Gen 3 Sub2k
« on: January 05, 2024, 02:02:54 PM »
I know we have some fans of the foldy boi Sub2000 in here, so I thought I'd share when this popped up on my YouTube Shorts list.

Looks like a Gen 2 Sub2k with a twist ( ;) ), so that optics can be mounted easily and retain zero.  Kind of a neat idea, and a good answer to S&W's foldy gun.  Bag guns are all the rage now, and if you're good with a PCC, Kel Tec has some history of these working.

Of course, it's Kel-Tec, so Gods know they probably made an initial run of 6 of them, and they'll be out of stock till 2025, but at least they exist somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EBvDxXmgJg

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Kel-Tec releases Gen 3 Sub2k
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 02:27:51 PM »
Nice.

I picked up a Sub2000 primarily for use as a car gun.

It's strange feeling from a firing position with that tubular buttstock, but man is it handy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 02:42:36 PM »
Fixes the biggest flaw in the gun. This be fair when the S2K first came out red dots weren't really that big of a thing.
Waiting on tests to see how well it holds zero.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 03:24:42 PM »
I didn't know they were that cheap. That's a handy little carbine. Sportsman's Warehouse has them in stock for $450.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 04:01:01 PM »
I didn't know they were that cheap. That's a handy little carbine. Sportsman's Warehouse has them in stock for $450.

That's the Gen 2.  Harder to put Optics on.  Put if that's your jam, PSA has them on sale for $379, plus the $100 rebate so $279 plus transfer and shipping all in.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/kel-tec-gen2-sub2000-glock-17-9mm-rifle-black.html

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 04:02:49 PM »

That's the Gen 2.  Harder to put Optics on.  Put if that's your jam, PSA has them on sale for $379, plus the $100 rebate so $279 plus transfer and shipping all in.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/kel-tec-gen2-sub2000-glock-17-9mm-rifle-black.html

Gen 3 $450

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/modern-sporting-rifles/kel-tec-sub2000-gen3-9mm-luger-1615in-black-semi-automatic-modern-sporting-rifle-151-rounds/p/1865725
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 04:03:54 PM »
I stand corrected.  Clicked on the wrong link on their website.

ETA:  When I click that link it says "Pre-Order ships in Mid Jan."  So Kel-Tec has to keep up with production demand.  A task they are famously just great at.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 04:15:02 PM »
I stand corrected.  Clicked on the wrong link on their website.

ETA:  When I click that link it says "Pre-Order ships in Mid Jan."  So Kel-Tec has to keep up with production demand.  A task they are famously just great at.

When I click on it, I get the add to cart button, pickup [my local store] 16JAN. Do you have a Sportsman's near you, or does it ship to FFL? Maybe they're reserving in stock ones for in-store purchases.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 04:15:46 PM »
When I click on it, I get the add to cart button, pickup [my local store] 16JAN. Do you have a Sportsman's near you, or does it ship to FFL? Maybe they're reserving in stock ones for in-store purchases.

Says the same for me
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 04:26:03 PM »
Yeah, I have a store here.  The ship to store button says the "Pre-order ships in Mid Jan" and if I add to cart it says "estimated pick-up Jan 16"

Not a huge deal, I'm full up on foldy rifles anyway, but it's neat that they seem to be trying to get these out in a hurry.  I bet the Gen 2's see a street price under $250 by Feb if these actually hit stores and work.  I see the Gen 3 has a threaded barrel too.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 04:28:54 PM »
After SW came out with theirs that can fold with optics I figure KT would follow.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 05:59:59 PM »
I am seriously considering getting one now. I don't have any PCCs, and this seems like a good price for what it is and for an initial dip into the PCC realm. Could be a good tuck away truck carbine for me, given my ccw gun uses the same mags.

The question is, wait for reviews, or be an early adopter?  :laugh:

I wish stupid Cabelas sold them - I have just about $400 in cabelas bucks right now.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 06:03:54 PM »

The question is, wait for reviews, or be an early adopter?  :laugh:

I wish stupid Cabelas sold them - I have just about $400 in cabelas bucks right now.

I'm waiting to find out how well they hold zero.

Wait a little, Cabelas will probably have them before too long.

- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 06:13:25 PM »
Wait a little, Cabelas will probably have them before too long.

They don't appear to sell any Keltec at all.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 06:15:34 PM »
They don't appear to sell any Keltec at all.

Well poopy poop
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2024, 06:17:25 PM »
I know we have some fans of the foldy boi Sub2000 in here, so I thought I'd share when this popped up on my YouTube Shorts list.

Looks like a Gen 2 Sub2k with a twist ( ;) ), so that optics can be mounted easily and retain zero.  Kind of a neat idea, and a good answer to S&W's foldy gun.  Bag guns are all the rage now, and if you're good with a PCC, Kel Tec has some history of these working.

Of course, it's Kel-Tec, so Gods know they probably made an initial run of 6 of them, and they'll be out of stock till 2025, but at least they exist somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EBvDxXmgJg

saw that.  Wonder if there's going to be a way to upgrade the Gen 2 guns.  Wasn't there an aftermarket front end for the Gen 1 that did the same thing?  (Red Lion.  https://www.redlionprecision.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=R11 )

That's one of them scary guns I'm not supposed to have now, anyways.  OIoops.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2024, 10:58:35 PM »
I've never owned a Sub2K, but didn't the earlier versions come with iron sights?  The Gen 3 appears to not have them.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2024, 11:39:36 PM »
I've never owned a Sub2K, but didn't the earlier versions come with iron sights?  The Gen 3 appears to not have them.

Yes and yes.
My guess is the idea is that if you want iron sights on the gen 3 you can mount a set of the many 1913 rail mount sight sets available
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2024, 02:54:10 AM »
A bunch of youts around here have been carrying some sizable messenger bags..
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2024, 08:01:53 AM »
Yes and yes.
My guess is the idea is that if you want iron sights on the gen 3 you can mount a set of the many 1913 rail mount sight sets available

Without having done a lot of research, it seems the new twisty thing was designed primarily to allow optic mounting, so they're doing what many AR makers are, selling it bare and letting the user do what they want.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2024, 08:17:23 AM »
My CMR-30 came with a set of Magpul flip up sights and the Kel-tec web pages mentions them.
Don't see any mention of the same on the Gen 3 S2K page.

I was going to ask if they're still going to produce the Gen 2 (with sights) but I don't even see the Gen 2 listed on their website anymore so I guess that answers that although they still list the CQB which is basically a gen 2 at heart. Maybe they haven't got the Gen 3 version of the CQB going yet.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 10:39:34 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2024, 08:28:34 AM »
I thought about trying to mount some sort of optic sight on my Sub2K, but after really thinking about it I figured... why?

The iron sights are more than enough for a 9mm carbine. They're actually very quick to acquire.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2024, 03:49:49 PM »
Wish I kept either my G1 (Glock mag) or G2 (S&W mag) KTS2K...  :facepalm:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2024, 08:36:25 AM »
Bud's currently has the Sub2K 9mm for $299.99 with free shipping.

Edit in...

It's $399.99... but Kel-Tec has a $100 rebate.

Bit misleading there, Bud's.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2024, 09:48:47 AM »
I thought about trying to mount some sort of optic sight on my Sub2K, but after really thinking about it I figured... why?

The iron sights are more than enough for a 9mm carbine. They're actually very quick to acquire.
That was always my thinking.  For a sort of backup PCC, the iron sights do what is needed.  Mounting a light would be my first option. 

I guess it depends on what you want to use it for.  AR-15's are selling pretty cheap these days and there are many other 9mm carbines for more money.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge