Author Topic: Execution by Nitrogen = Torture  (Read 2117 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Execution by Nitrogen = Torture
« on: January 17, 2024, 09:55:58 AM »
The UN is stating that execution by Nitrogen is torture. This in reference to the first such execution in the US for an Alabama death row inmate. I recall we have discussed this in-depth here and that most scientific evidence suggests this is actually a relatively painless death, especially when compared to other forms of execution*. Interesting that the UN once again runs to the fainting couch.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/alabama-death-row-execution-nitrogen-gas-could-amount-torture-violates-human-rights-treaties-united-nations-says

* I submit that there actually are more pain free and quicker ways to execute someone, but modern US society can't handle a shot to the head or a guillotine. Other than the fear of seeing death coming, the midget in North Korea likely has more painless execution methods than we do. They're just kinda gory.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Execution by Nitrogen = Torture
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 10:05:26 AM »
Is this the same UN that's considering genocide allegations against Israel?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 10:23:39 AM »
They're just opposed to executions in non-communist countries.  *expletive deleted*ck them.
Formerly sumpnz

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 10:23:47 AM »
My beef with the death penalty is not with regards to how painful it might be to the criminal.  I don't believe the Constitutional guarantee against cruel/unusual punishment mans it should be pain free, but rather, avoids being needlessly painful.

My concern with the death penalty is that I don't trust the government - either through incompetence or through malice - to get it right 100% of the time
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 10:30:13 AM »
The UN is stating that execution by Nitrogen is torture.

I submit that there actually are more pain free and quicker ways to execute someone, but modern US society can't handle a shot to the head or a guillotine.

Ok... carbon monoxide, then. Lots of people die in their sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning so it must be relatively painless. That should make the UN happy.

Also, from what I've read it seems guillotining, while certainly effective and quick, is not painless by a long shot.

My concern with the death penalty is that I don't trust the government - either through incompetence or through malice - to get it right 100% of the time

100% hell - I don't trust them to get it right at all.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 10:37:48 AM »
Has the UN ever come out against lopping people's head's off with a sword and/or stoning as forms of executions both of which are practiced in many certain non-western counties? 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 11:00:31 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 10:58:08 AM »
My beef with the death penalty is not with regards to how painful it might be to the criminal.  I don't believe the Constitutional guarantee against cruel/unusual punishment mans it should be pain free, but rather, avoids being needlessly painful.

Dead nuts on, there, AmbulanceDriver.

Could not, did not, read the Fox article, but I wonder what evidence did the complainant have?

Apart from the hand-wringing sentiment, I see this (naturally) as part of the long-term strategy to disrupt and criticize anything, no matter how minor, that the West does.

It also strikes me (without reading the Fox article) that some Editor somewhere was having a slow day and told one of his reporters "Yeah, OK, run with it."

Thanks again, AmbulanceDriver.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 11:03:56 AM »
I'm just going to suggest that detcord necklaces could be the solution here.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 11:04:55 AM »

I think a good number of us here are in that boat. I myself came from, "execute them all" to "only in cases with lots of independent and corroborating evidence, including things like unbiased video proof". Or if the person puts it on facebook or proudly says they did it. If they brag about it, I'm happy to see them dead, even if they made it up for notoriety. Darwin.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 11:08:39 AM »

We need a like button.
Formerly sumpnz

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2024, 11:15:50 AM »

Wedlock was a movie where the prisoners wore neck collar explosives that were radio connected to another prisoner and if they went beyond a certain range from each other they would both explode. Who your neck device was tied to was unknown to the prison population.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2024, 11:36:24 AM »
Wedlock was a movie where the prisoners wore neck collar explosives that were radio connected to another prisoner and if they went beyond a certain range from each other they would both explode. Who your neck device was tied to was unknown to the prison population.

Also Running Man.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 11:47:25 AM »
Also Running Man.

Brad

Did they? Forgot all about that
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2024, 12:32:13 PM »
We need collars like that for politicians - once their disapproval rating among those who voted in the last election exceeds their approval rating, they have a couple of weeks to improve it - if it doesn't go up, they have 1 day to either resign or . . . BANG!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2024, 12:32:40 PM »
I have gone to euthanizing hopeless chickens with a zip lock bag containing a paper towel soaked in starter fluid. Seems to be the most stress free method.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2024, 12:54:09 PM »
We need collars like that for politicians - once their disapproval rating among those who voted in the last election exceeds their approval rating, they have a couple of weeks to improve it - if it doesn't go up, they have 1 day to either resign or . . . BANG!

Be no politicians left after a short period of time. Is there a negative side to this?
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2024, 01:22:47 PM »
I have gone to euthanizing hopeless chickens with a zip lock bag containing a paper towel soaked in starter fluid. Seems to be the most stress free method.
I guess I'm okay with you using that method to euthanize criminals too.  Might be crowded for the chicken with them both in there, but whatever.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2024, 01:26:34 PM »
Dead nuts on, there, AmbulanceDriver.

Could not, did not, read the Fox article, but I wonder what evidence did the complainant have?

Apart from the hand-wringing sentiment, I see this (naturally) as part of the long-term strategy to disrupt and criticize anything, no matter how minor, that the West does.

Thanks again, AmbulanceDriver.

Terry, 230RN

And we do their work for them. Now we hold our own state and national governments to an impossible standard of 100% certainty in every capital case, or we don't trust them with the basic duty of executing murderers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2024, 05:01:22 PM »

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2023/09/saudi-arabia-revoke-death-penalty-social-media-activity-un-experts-urge

Has the UN ever come out against lopping people's head's off with a sword and/or stoning as forms of executions both of which are practiced in many certain non-western counties?

Yes, many times. But you have to actually read what the UN is writing to know.

Saudi Arabia must immediately revoke the death sentence handed down to Mohammed Al Ghamdi for his tweets and YouTube activities, as the crackdown on freedom of expression in the country continues to escalate, UN experts* said today.

More here:

https://www.ohchr.org/en/topic/death-penalty#:~:text=Our%20work,abolition%20of%20the%20death%20penalty.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2024, 05:06:29 PM »
I didn't know any state allowed the use of nitrogen for execution.  Interesting. 

I guess they know they had better use medical grade Nitrogen NF or the FDA will come down on them.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2024, 07:56:50 PM »

Fragmentation problem with that unless ultra-strong garbage bags are used on the "perp."

Maybe in a sealed room with a couple of floor drains.

Still, seems "cruel and unusual" for the witnesses.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2024, 12:16:15 AM »
This is where the ChiComs have it down to an "art".
Put a .22 bullet in the back of the head of the"criminal", then they bill the family.  Or so I've heard.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2024, 01:27:59 AM »

That inherently leads to tyranny by majority. 

I'd be just for corporal and financial punishment for initiating, sponsoring, or voting for laws that are inherently, obviously, and immanently violations of Constitutional provisions, and for their perjury in violating their oaths of office.

Yeah, I know, but "Supreme Court."  Hey, that's flawed, too.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 02:24:46 AM by 230RN »

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2024, 08:05:05 PM »
I think a good number of us here are in that boat. I myself came from, "execute them all" to "only in cases with lots of independent and corroborating evidence, including things like unbiased video proof". Or if the person puts it on facebook or proudly says they did it. If they brag about it, I'm happy to see them dead, even if they made it up for notoriety. Darwin.

Ben that's exactly where I stand.   And exactly where I came from as well.   
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2024, 06:23:41 AM »
And we do their work for them. Now we hold our own state and national governments to an impossible standard of 100% certainty in every capital case, or we don't trust them with the basic duty of executing murderers.

Once again, you seem to be putting words in people's mouths.

For myself, I'm not for "100% certainty and nothing less."  I'm pretty sure that both Ben and AmbulanceDriver recognize that we can only try to approach certainty (P=1.0), just as I do.  For myself, I look at the goal to be "removal from society," though some people would include vengeful deadly punishment in some instances.

They're entitled to that opinion.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 06:37:59 AM by 230RN »