Author Topic: Navy Physical Fitness Standards  (Read 153 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Navy Physical Fitness Standards
« on: July 25, 2024, 05:47:48 PM »
This seems real, and Jameson makes a good point that if these are the people the Navy is displaying to Business Insider as the face of the Navy, what must others look like? I mean, there's whole jelly rolls in there. I can't believe it's 20min to run 1.5 miles for people in their 20s. Me and the dog leisurely walk a mile every morning in around 20min.

https://youtu.be/ZmcN6zg5FVc
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Navy Physical Fitness Standards
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 06:30:26 PM »
Thing 2 is at Coast Guard Academy this week for their summer program for high schoolers (rising seniors only).  The have to do the PFE (physical fitness evaluation) while there.  3 parts to it.  2 minutes of cadence push-ups (must be done to the cadence, 2 seconds per pushup, so max of 60), 2 minutes of situps (as many as possible, 100 is a perfect score) and a 1.5 mile run.  Perfect score on the run for men is 8:30 or better (equivalent to a 5:40 mile).  Maximum time to get a score is 14:00 for men, 16:00 for women.

I'll find out Friday when they give them their phones back how well he did.  I'm expecting/hoping to hear 40+ push-ups, 85+ sit-ups and a sub-8:30 run.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 07:18:08 PM »
Yes, it could be that bad but you know what? Not my circus, not my monkeys. I left that behind 32 years ago. Thankfully they keep sending me a monthly check though. :)

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 07:45:44 PM »
The new Army test is pretty easy to pass, but pretty hard to max. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2024, 08:00:51 PM »
This seems real, and Jameson makes a good point that if these are the people the Navy is displaying to Business Insider as the face of the Navy, what must others look like? I mean, there's whole jelly rolls in there. I can't believe it's 20min to run 1.5 miles for people in their 20s. Me and the dog leisurely walk a mile every morning in around 20min.

20 minutes to run 1.5 miles? That's not running, that's walking. We had to run one mile in 8 minutes to graduate from Army AIT Training in 1967, and that was in combat boots and field uniform, not gym shorts and running shoes.

I beat that, plus bettered the minimums on the other exercises, by enough to make PFC out of AIT. I got out of the base hospital after having had pneumonia the day before the final psysical fitness evaluation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2024, 08:07:16 PM »

Is it just me, or did Lt. Alcorn-Domin seem a lit on the , ah (ahem) "light" side? Probably to be expected of someone with a hyphenated last name.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2024, 10:27:09 PM »

Yeah, a mile in 20 minutes is my typical walking speed if I'm not in a hurry, 15 minute if I walk a little faster.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2024, 11:45:54 PM »
Some of that, I can do with a cane...

I'm sort of wondering... Was that boot for doctors and nurses? Why did so many of the "recruits" have sew-ons...

Because, gee... boot for "professionals" is different.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:20:09 AM »
Some of that, I can do with a cane...

I'm sort of wondering... Was that boot for doctors and nurses? Why did so many of the "recruits" have sew-ons...

Because, gee... boot for "professionals" is different.

That wasn't boot camp. That was the training class for the Sailors that will be boot camp instructors.  That's why they had sew ons and surface warfare badges and the ,like.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:26:39 PM »
My idgaf ke3ps me from reading  regs since I retired so not totally current. In 2016 as a 41 year old I had to run the 1.5 in about 13 minutes and wasn't doing great out of shape and 25 pounds heavy. 73" and 220 lbs I was just barely making tape. Covid and other stuff the navy skipped an entire pt test cycle a couple of times and stopped kicking out disgusting fatties. The female body fat standards are absurd up to 33% allowed. Men not much better at 22. I had better body fat at 230 than at 220 thanks to a 19 inch neck and an idiotic way of computing body fat. In general every time I see a picture of army or navy I get the impression that standards are suggestions and we need a much sharper fight to weed out the turds.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:42:47 PM »
Thing 2 scored 260 on the PFE at the summer program.  Only 39 push-ups because he messed up the cadence and they made him stop.  98 situps (100 is a perfect score, and frankly really hard to do).  He was disappointed in his 9:06 run for 1.5 miles (got him 90 points out of 100).  But  he had to pass so many other kids that the extra distance easily cost him 5 points (9-flat was the breakpoint for the next 5 points).  It was also hot and on an indoor track. Cooler weather outdoors and he'd easily be under 8:30.
Formerly sumpnz