Author Topic: Annual Colorado vacation  (Read 281 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Annual Colorado vacation
« on: January 18, 2024, 12:29:52 PM »
Just clicked "Confirm Reservation" for our annual Colorado vacay. Doing the same as the last two years - four days in Fraser, four in Creede. This year will be even more fun as SWMBO will be six days into retirement when we start pedaling north. A celebration of sorts.

Same plan as before... no plan. Only schedule obligations are check in/out times for lodging. Otherwise, it's whatever strikes our fancy in whichever direction looks interesting. Meals? Both lodges provide excellent breakfasts. Remaining meals come from the snack bag and a cooler of sandwich fixins, mostly at Stop-&-Gawk roadside breaks. We usually catch sitdown meals every couple days with a "Last Blast" steakhouse splurge the night before we head home.

Last year we took a different route up to Fraser, the result of my seething hatred for I-25 between Colorado Springs and Denver. Kicked off the interstate at Pueblo and cut north at Canon City. Up the valley past Hartsell and Fairplay to Grant, then north over Guanella Pass to Georgetown. Cost us an extra hour, but it was a hour well invested. The drive is lovely - relaxing and pretty. Guanella is a beautiful drive, one of the prettier passes in Colorado. We enjoyed it so much on the trip in that we got up the next day and did it again.

Last year's trek from Fraser to Creede was pushed further west than anticipated due to road washouts. No biggie as it resulted in finding cool new backcountry routes to explore, plus breathtaking vistas from atop Grand Mesa. This year, we'll likely do the road we intended for last year, either south from Vail through Leadville to Buena Vista then west over Taylor Pass, or jump over to Glenwood Springs then south through Carbondale and east over Kebler Pass to Crested Butte. Either way, we end up going south from Gunnison through Lake City and on to Creede.

One fun little side trek last year was a quick jump north from Walden just so SWMBO can officially say she's been to Wyoming. Tip-toed across to Woods Landing then snuck out before anyone noticed. Pretty drive. After that, followed the Poudre River east to Fort Collins. Definitely a drive worth taking.

We're both ever so ready for this year. The first year SWMBO wasn't exactly sure what to expect. The second year she started to pick up on how fun and relaxing it can be. Last year she started getting in the groove and looking for places to go. This year she's already jotting down places she'd like to see. Celebrating her retirement is just icing on the cake.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 12:48:37 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Annual Colorado vacation
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 04:56:43 PM »
Not to dampen anything, but avalanches seem to be a bigger problem than usual this year.  One buried 10 cars with passengers lately:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/sweeping-avalanche-buries-10-cars-trapping-people-for-an-hour-colorado-rescuers-say/ar-AA1n8wpF

Had an out of state skier killed last week or so, but I'm not up on the current score.  Snow, warm air, snow, warm air, snow, warm air, phlumph!  Gravity wins again.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 05:03:24 PM »
Not to dampen anything, but avalanches are a bigger problem than usual this year.  One buried 10 cars with passengers lately:

US 40 north from I-70 over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park. I know it well, it's the road we travel on our way to Fraser. Avalanche happened just below the pass on the Winter Park side.

Wasn't the skier incident an avalanche somewhere around Vail?

Brad
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 08:00:29 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 07:05:24 PM »
Offhand, I don't know where.  I usually just listen to the news out of the corner of my ear.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 07:21:18 PM »
I’ve traveled some of those Colorado roads and yes they can be great.
I have different ideas about meals on the trek.
We always do a mix of picnic cooler lunches or my always popular roadside “shore lunch” and some of the local joints. Always ask a few locals “where would you go?”
I’ve found the coolest places with the best food that way.
3 of us antelope hunters wound up in a diner in Wyoming for a late breakfast and had homemade chicken fried steak the size of a dinner plate, hash browns, eggs, busquits and gravy, orange juice and coffee for $14 total. It was a shack of a place with a giant hand painted “DINER” on the side where the paint dripped down from the letters.
When we first married my wife would get really stressed if we didn’t have an itinerary. She has learned to like freewheeling off the path and schedule with me.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 07:27:46 PM »
It's interesting how some things stay in memory. For me, I think the best breakfast I ever had was on a cross-country road trip I took in 1972 to celebrate having finished graduate school. I was doing my best to stay off interstate highways. One morning, I had breakfast at a little diner on the old U.S. Route 6 somewhere in or near Scranton, PA.

Best breakfast EVER.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 07:43:27 AM »
Probably the best breakfast I ever had was in Raton, New Mexico, in 1993 when I was working for NRA.

Southwest style breakfast. Massive amount of food, cheap, and incredibly good.

Worst meal I ever had was in Bradford, Pennsylvania, also when I was working for NRA.

Local Chinese place.

It.

Was.

Horrific.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.