Author Topic: Boeing: In case of engine fire...  (Read 233 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Boeing: In case of engine fire...
« on: January 19, 2024, 12:37:56 PM »
... the remaining engines will provide enough power to arrive at the scene of your crash.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/flames-seen-shooting-boeing-747-prompting-emergency-landing-miami-rcna134666

Scary.  Fortunately only 5 onboard.  Cargo plane.  And it landed in one piece.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Boeing: In case of engine fire...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 12:59:17 PM »
I've been watching that "Mayday" show with fair regularity and they had a program where all four engines quit because of a freeze-up in the fuel lines.  I think it was Boeing.  They also had problems with the hydraulic devices which  actuate the rudder.  That one cost many lives and was repeated after the basic problem was "fixed." I guess if you build that many planes, sneaky things will show up sooner or later.  Watching that show gives me the willies, but I guess the statistics overall are excellent.

Fokker had a problem with wing design on a modern model which didn't show up until some very specific circumstances caused freezing on the upper wing surface, making it lose lift.

Apart from the tragedies, what is really interesting about that show is the "detective" work involved in finding the root causes of the accidents, especially since in a crash everything is everywhere.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 01:11:33 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 01:14:09 PM »
Jet engines fail, it happens quite often and usually evn the people riding on the plane have no idea that they have shut one down. I was surprised and still am that they allow two engine ops over water with a plane load of oblivious people. But I guess the reliability and ability to fly on one has been proven at this point. A jet engine has a ton of spinning parts and it doesn't take a very big piece of (anything) to start making things go bonkers. At least in this case it was contained in the nacelle (AFAIK), except for parts being spit out the tailpipe from the looks of the video.

In other aircraft engine news, who knew a F35 engine cost 14M (?) dollars?

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/misplaced-flashlight-damaged-f135-engine-during-test-run-usaf/156551.article

bob

« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 07:16:05 PM by BobR »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 01:30:05 PM »
Jet engines fail, it happens quite often and usually evn the people riding on the plane have no idea that they have shut one down . . .
I remember once I was talking to a Russian immigrant and he told me Aeroflot routinely continued passenger air operations with failures that would ground aircraft in the West - things like continuing scheduled service if one engine was down - after all, the aircraft still had 3 more, right?

Oh, and on Russian planes it was not unheard of to get lavatory overflows if the plane banked steeply, so you didn't want to sit in a row close to the head.

My ONLY experience with an Aeroflot flight was indirectly on one of my trips to Japan - we were taking off from, IIRC, Seattle, when an Aeroflot flight landing on a parallel runway blew a tire - it must have been pretty loud, since even during takeoff the BANG! got everyone's attention on our plane.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 02:29:37 PM »
I remember once I was talking to a Russian immigrant and he told me Aeroflot routinely continued passenger air operations with failures that would ground aircraft in the West - things like continuing scheduled service if one engine was down - after all, the aircraft still had 3 more, right?

Oh, and on Russian planes it was not unheard of to get lavatory overflows if the plane banked steeply, so you didn't want to sit in a row close to the head.

My ONLY experience with an Aeroflot flight was indirectly on one of my trips to Japan - we were taking off from, IIRC, Seattle, when an Aeroflot flight landing on a parallel runway blew a tire - it must have been pretty loud, since even during takeoff the BANG! got everyone's attention on our plane.

Aeroflot is one airline you couldn't pay me travel on.  Even if it were a brand new Boeing or Airbus plane.  You could offer me several million dollars and especially if were an Antanov I'd run screaming in the other direction.
Formerly sumpnz