Author Topic: SHOT Show Stuff  (Read 2516 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
SHOT Show Stuff
« on: January 23, 2024, 09:27:40 AM »
Thread on SHOT Show stuff.

First up, this Oracle Arms is an interesting concept: It's basically a cross between a Sig P320 and a 2011, using P320 mags.

https://youtu.be/hid6ukD4pro?t=139
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: SHOT Show Stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 10:05:46 AM »
"using P320 mags"

Nice.

Next Tuesday when Sig announces that the P320 will be discontinued and magazines dry up the horse that Oracle has hitched its wagon to will die of a massive stroke and they'll be up *expletive deleted*it creek without a paddle.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 10:12:35 AM »
I really like the idea of a 2011 with cheap, plentiful, reliable mags.  Not sure P320 mags are the choice, but with the M17/M18 they will at least be around for a while.

That said, I'm like 3 whiskey's on a bad day from pulling the trigger on a Stealth Arms Platypus.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 10:25:05 AM »
I'm just a few whiskeys away from something like a Staccato or Wilson SFX9 myself.  :laugh:

I'm still a 1911 guy at heart even though I carry plastic every day now, and still have a hankering for something 2011ish.

As for the mags, yeah, I imagine P320 mags have at least another couple of decades of mass availability, unless Sig doesn't ever want a gov contract again.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 10:28:07 AM »
I also see that pistol comps, both integrated and aftermarket, seem to be a big thing this year. Shadow Systems is coming out with new integrated pistols, and Radian has a lot of new "add on" stuff.

I saw Shadow Systems is coming out with their own suppressor.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 10:30:50 AM »
I'm just a few whiskeys away from something like a Staccato or Wilson SFX9 myself.  :laugh:

I'm still a 1911 guy at heart even though I carry plastic every day now, and still have a hankering for something 2011ish.

As for the mags, yeah, I imagine P320 mags have at least another couple of decades of mass availability, unless Sig doesn't ever want a gov contract again.  =)

Thread Drift:  You seen the Platypus?  Look at their site....

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 10:49:25 AM »
"Stealth Arms Platypus"

I didn't think it would be possible for someone to make the 1911 platform uglier than it is.

My God, they've gone and done it!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 10:55:03 AM »
"Stealth Arms Platypus"

I didn't think it would be possible for someone to make the 1911 platform uglier than it is.

Anyone who thinks the 1911 is ugly is someone who has had a lobotomy.  =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 10:59:00 AM »
The 1911 is utility ugly.

It serves its purpose.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 10:59:38 AM »
"Stealth Arms Platypus"

The base "Platypus" itself is more or less a normal looking 1911. The other versions on the other hand  [barf]

https://www.stealtharms.net/p/platypus
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 11:03:21 AM »
I also see that pistol comps, both integrated and aftermarket, seem to be a big thing this year. Shadow Systems is coming out with new integrated pistols, and Radian has a lot of new "add on" stuff.

I saw Shadow Systems is coming out with their own suppressor.
I guess everything is designed for competition or concealed carry.  You still have the police market, but that is almost an afterthought these days.

A number of new suppressors came out last year.  Many of them are not super expensive.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 11:06:34 AM »
I went by my FFL yesterday.  I saw a Desert Tech Quatro lower receiver had showed up for someone.  I have one or order also so hopefully I will get it sooner.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 11:21:39 AM »

First up, this Oracle Arms is an interesting concept: It's basically a cross between a Sig P320 and a 2011, using P320 mags.

I haven't handled that pistol, but I would want straight 1911 style grips.  That is about all that jumped out at me. 

With the military adoption of the pistol, the mags should be around for a long time.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 11:22:47 AM »
I guess everything is designed for competition or concealed carry.  You still have the police market, but that is almost an afterthought these days.

A number of new suppressors came out last year.  Many of them are not super expensive.

I think more cops are going to comps too.  Gods know they need all the help they can get on follow up shots. 

I'm seeing a lot of those coming out for duty or carry pistols. The Roland Special back in the day started people thinking about them, and once they got small enough to easily fit in holsters people started moving to them for serious uses.  I run the Radian Ramjet on my G19x and really like it, and my CCWE G19 has an ARC Reactor slide on it, and I really like it.

Ironically, none of my competition guns have comps, because I don't want to play in Open Division.

The base "Platypus" itself is more or less a normal looking 1911. The other versions on the other hand  [barf]

https://www.stealtharms.net/p/platypus

It's pretty customizable to your preferred aesthetic.  The one I have built on the website is more on the "gamer" end, but not garishly colored.  Stealth Arms says they are coming out with a grip texture other than that chain link this year, and I'm kinda waiting on that.  I don't love the chain link thing.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 11:24:22 AM »
I see TFB TV Showtime channel is posting videos from SHOT show range day.  I believe Classic Firearms will be posting videos also. 

I haven't had a chance to dig into new stuff today yet.  Maybe later. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2024, 12:31:55 PM »
"I haven't handled that pistol, but I would want straight 1911 style grips. "

I'll agree with you on that. I much prefer the flat mainspring housing on 1911-style handguns, and it's the primary reason why, when it comes to .45 semi-autos, I prefer my 4506 over my Springfield 1911 A1 Milspec.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2024, 12:44:27 PM »
Ruger announced a .45 ACP version of their LC carbine:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/new-for-2024-ruger-lc-carbine-in-45-acp/

Might make a useful suppressor host, but I'd rather see one in 10mm.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 12:45:21 PM »
Might make a useful suppressor host, but I'd rather see one in 10mm.

This
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2024, 01:27:33 PM »
I haven't handled that pistol, but I would want straight 1911 style grips. 

Yeah, that definitely makes a difference to me too. It's one of the reasons I migrated to the Shadow Systems. In fact I think all the Glock clones have at least a backstrap option to make the grip more 1911ey. Glock seems to be the only one that doesn't. Also their stupid excuse for a beavertail while I'm complaining.  :laugh:

Glock could get so much larger of a market (yes, I know they already have a big one) with just a few minor tweaks.

On the comps, the videos that I was watching mostly had them on combat handguns vs competition. Not that they're probably still a much larger market in competition, but manufacturers do seem to be adding them to working handguns more and more.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2024, 01:29:51 PM »
I went by my FFL yesterday.  I saw a Desert Tech Quatro lower receiver had showed up for someone.  I have one or order also so hopefully I will get it sooner.

Please post your thoughts when you get it. They are cool looking, but reviews I have seen about Desert Tech in general are all over the place from "awesome" to "avoid".

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2024, 01:45:01 PM »

You'd think they would call it a 32011.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2024, 02:40:41 PM »
Please post your thoughts when you get it. They are cool looking, but reviews I have seen about Desert Tech in general are all over the place from "awesome" to "avoid".
Be happy to do that.  I have a BCM upper and parts kit waiting for it. 

The only issue I have with Desert Tech is I don't want another bullpup rifle.  I am considering their 10/22 stock, but I don't know if I want to rebuild one of my current 10/22's.  A lot of their other stuff doesn't do much for me.

I saw a video talking about a couple new bullpup rifles they have.  Looks interesting, but I won't get one.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2024, 07:04:54 PM »
"using P320 mags"

Nice.

Next Tuesday when Sig announces that the P320 will be discontinued and magazines dry up the horse that Oracle has hitched its wagon to will die of a massive stroke and they'll be up *expletive deleted*it creek without a paddle.

MagPul just debuted P320 magazines at SHOT.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2024, 10:45:48 PM »
The Universal Exchange Rifle | PWS UXR | Shot Show 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCmVFnZUygc

PWS has what is supposed to be a universal rifle.  Strips down so it can take any barrel or magwell.  Switch from AK magwell to AR magwell.  Looks very interesting.  I will wait and see if it is accurate and if the AK mag compatibility is okay. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2024, 10:50:15 PM »
308 Bullpup Jakl | PSA | Shot Show 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er88U647gw4
Multiple guns in this video.  Some are concept guns.

The 308 is not a bullpup.  Designed to fit their PA10 lowers. 

A rock and lock lower for the Jakl.  He said it takes AK triggers.  Odd ball hybrid looking gun. 

A bullpup JAKL lower.