Author Topic: SHOT Show Stuff  (Read 2520 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SHOT Show Stuff
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2024, 07:56:01 AM »
New build SKS style firearm

In an innovative move for 2024, Canadian engineer Ryan Pearce has developed the SK-X, a modernized take on the classic SKS rifle. Pearce has engineered a new-model SKS-style action rifle that preserves the recognizable features of the original while introducing a myriad of new upgrades.

For enthusiasts willing to bet on this firearm, there is a pre-order option available at $1,750 on the SK-X’s official website, SKXRifles.com

$1,750 for what's basically a taci-cool SKS? Oh heck no, hard pass.

[SHOT 2024] SK-X: Building A Better SKS In 2024
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2024/01/29/shot-2024-sk-x-building-better-sks-2024/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2024, 08:22:42 AM »
[SHOT 2024] The A-Team Is Back: Ruger Reintroduces Folding Stock Mini 14
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2024/01/27/shot-2024-the-a-team-is-back-ruger-reintroduces-folding-stock-mini-14/

MSRP $1,849  :O
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2024, 12:35:18 PM »

[SHOT 2024] SK-X: Building A Better SKS In 2024
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2024/01/29/shot-2024-sk-x-building-better-sks-2024/

Not Ill-i-noise friendly, alas.

Come on SCOTUS, do the right thing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2024, 09:13:48 AM »
Here's Everytown/The smoking Gun
Apparently they have issues with not only the semi-autos (shocker) but those gosh darn deadly assault lever actions

Deadly Innovations from the 2024 SHOT Show
https://smokinggun.org/deadly-innovations-from-the-2024-shot-show/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2024, 09:16:47 AM »
Apparently they have issues with not only the semi-autos (shocker) but those gosh darn deadly assault lever actions

That article is both comical and infuriating.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2024, 09:31:08 AM »
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2024/01/27/shot-2024-the-a-team-is-back-ruger-reintroduces-folding-stock-mini-14/

I remember back when Ruger used to advertise the standard stock Mini-14 as "The World's Most Expensive Plinker" . . . with an MSRP of $200.

$1849? No. One can get an AR pattern rifle - a good one - for less.

(The A-Team? In the five years or so that show was on TV, did they ever - EVER! - manage to actually hit anyone with those folding stock Mini-14s?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2024, 09:34:50 AM »

(The A-Team? In the five years or so that show was on TV, did they ever - EVER! - manage to actually hit anyone with those folding stock Mini-14s?)

Less true of the Mini-14s of today (5800 series) but not too far off the mark with the older ones

- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2024, 10:00:09 AM »

Maybe it is for the Canadian market.  The designer is from Canada.  I know their gun bans are fairly arbitrary I think SKS rifles are OK, but AKs and AR15s aren't.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2024, 10:41:10 AM »

You can buy the folding stock now.  The metal and wood stock is $250 or so.  I was close to buying a mini-30 a couple years ago, but decided not to.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2024, 10:44:06 AM »
Maybe it is for the Canadian market.  The designer is from Canada.  I know their gun bans are fairly arbitrary I think SKS rifles are OK, but AKs and AR15s aren't.
That makes sense.  There was a Canadian rifle a couple years ago that had a "similar" lower to the AR, but the pin holes were off just enough you couldn't mount an AR lower to avoid legal limits.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JN01

• friend
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2024, 02:51:07 AM »

Reading that dropped my IQ by 10 points.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2024, 10:12:09 PM »
That article is both comical and infuriating.

The obtuseness - it burns. Assuming the author was able to attend SHOT via press credentials, I wonder how long she was able to stay at the show before retiring to Starbucks to weep, meditate, and recover.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2024, 12:28:21 PM »
Less true of the Mini-14s of today (5800 series) but not too far off the mark with the older ones

They're actually not all that bad - I've done some plinking with an old (circa 1976 "200th year of American Liberty") Mini-14 and even with the factory iron sights, groups were in roughly the 3" range at 100 yards. Not a tack driver by any means, but I've seen worse out of some SKS rifles and M1 carbines.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2024, 05:02:29 PM »
They're actually not all that bad - I've done some plinking with an old (circa 1976 "200th year of American Liberty") Mini-14 and even with the factory iron sights, groups were in roughly the 3" range at 100 yards. Not a tack driver by any means, but I've seen worse out of some SKS rifles and M1 carbines.
Same for me.  My Dad has one and you can do 4 or 5 inch groups easily enough.  Not sure how much better I could do with good ammo.  I would say it meets minimum combat accuracy, but a good AR will beat it most days.  I really don't know if my 5.56 AK rifle is much better.