Author Topic: SHOT Show Stuff  (Read 2514 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: SHOT Show Stuff
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2024, 04:46:35 PM »
You can take the writer out of the NRA, but you can't take the NRA out of the writer....

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2024, 04:56:33 PM »
https://youtube.com/shorts/gcC2YFp-Ga8?si=zwtABCOuY_dLVOrI

Titanium foam silencer. 

I wonder how you clean it when it starts to get clogged.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2024, 05:01:47 PM »
You can take the writer out of the NRA, but you can't take the NRA out of the writer....
=D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2024, 05:16:07 PM »

Titanium foam silencer. 

He said it's like a sponge, so I assume you just wring it out.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2024, 06:37:01 PM »
I don't have a video link, but Walther has a steel frame line for the PDP now.  All sizes and several options.

If you know anyone that likes walther ergos.......

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2024, 06:44:42 PM »
A video just for the new Diamondback .357 revolver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXwcMvczQYE

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2024, 06:50:08 PM »
So how do we set up the collection to buy K Frame his very own Diamondback revolver?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2024, 08:57:16 PM »
So how do we set up the collection to buy K Frame his very own Diamondback revolver?
He doesn't like Stainless.  He needs the Rock Island 38 Special. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWR43NARZY8
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2024, 09:13:39 PM »
If An AR15 & An MP5 Had A Baby | Zenith F-56 | Shot Show 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iho25jDEoM
This one is roller-delayed so I guess they are going for the HK action. 

There are a lot of new non-AR tactical rifles this year.  I am curious how many will get released and fall short in reviews/testing.  Of course, the over/under $2000 is something to consider also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2024, 07:21:27 AM »

Titanium foam silencer. 

Now THAT is interesting as hell!

I had NO clue that you could 3-D print titanium. That's pretty fascinating.

My guess is that cleaning would be done in an ultrasonic bath?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2024, 07:39:57 AM »

OK, I'll admit that one is interesting.

21 ounce 5-shot .357 Mag. Actually looks fairly good.

Two points of concern... Push button cylinder release and the push button cylinder latch. Not necessarily a bad idea, but I'd want to really put one through a full range of adverse handling drills to make damned certain that those aren't a liability.

I'm impressed that they took the time to counterbore the chambers so that the cartridge rim fits flush with the rear of the cylinder instead of standing above it. That's an expensive extra step in the manufacturing process.

And, to be honest, the price doesn't seem that bad.

OK, the fact that it is soulless steel? Yeah, I don't like that. I find matte finish soulless steel to be a lot more tolerable. High polish? No thank you.

Price is surprisingly good, and it's a J frame grip frame so that's a big plus.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2024, 07:49:54 AM »

My first handgun was a .22 Diamondback with 2 1/2" barrel . . . except mine was made by Colt. (8th grade graduation present from my Dad.   =)  )

Titanium foam silencer. 

I've often thought if done properly a metal "foam" core would make for a good suppressor. (Didn't the ATF determine "Chore Boy" scrubbers were suppressor components?)  IIRC, Gary Powers was supposed to be carrying a High Standard .22 in which the barrel had been drilled with multiple holes, wrapped with steel wool, and covered with a can. If true, it probably ended up in the KGB museum after his U-2 was shot down. The point being, these woven/nonwoven metals would be more or less analogous to open cell metal foam.

Probably the only way to clean it would be by a soak - and I wonder how the very thin material would hold up to repeated ultrasonic cleanings; granted it's titanium, but one of the tests of an ultrasonic cleaner is to see if it perforates aluminum foil. Really thin titanium strands in foam form? I simply don't know. And I don't want to spend the $$$ to find out myself.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2024, 08:03:29 AM »
He doesn't like Stainless.  He needs the Rock Island 38 Special. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWR43NARZY8

I've got 8 .357 Magnums and... 6 .38 Specials? Something like that.

I don't need any more.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2024, 08:13:51 AM »
I actually just saw that Rock Island pop up on a video elsewhere in a 4" length in .38 Special. Ever since I stupidly got rid of my Model 10 many years ago, I've always had kind of a "background hankerin' " for a 4" .38 just to have and for letting new shooters try. The reviews seem to indicate that the Rock Island is actually a good value. I wouldn't pay the prices the big names are asking for revolvers these days for a gun that won't be shot a lot, but under $300? Sure.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2024, 08:14:44 AM »

I've often thought if done properly a metal "foam" core would make for a good suppressor. (Didn't the ATF determine "Chore Boy" scrubbers were suppressor components?)  IIRC, Gary Powers was supposed to be carrying a High Standard .22 in which the barrel had been drilled with multiple holes, wrapped with steel wool, and covered with a can. If true, it probably ended up in the KGB museum after his U-2 was shot down. The point being, these woven/nonwoven metals would be more or less analogous to open cell metal foam.

Yep.  My first Form 1 can was basically a barrel extension with holes that I rapped very tightly in steel screen material and put an outer tube over.  Worked pretty well, .22LR down to the level of a BB gun or so.

And as Gun Jesus mentioned the M3 Grease gun silencers were metal mesh.

I have a 3D printed Huxwrks 5.56 can that works well, but I'm concerned about cleaning and longevity on it as well.  The numerous small passages are really good for letting gas cool and expand, but can get clogged.  Like K-Frame mentioned an US cleaner is one method.  Huxwrks says soak it in CLP to loosen the carbon then shoot it, and it'll all com out the front.  Haven't tried that yet on mine.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2024, 08:19:11 AM »
"My first Form 1 can was basically a barrel extension with holes that I rapped very tightly in steel screen material..."

Basically the concept used in the US made suppressor or the M3 grease gun .

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2024, 08:26:33 AM »
Ever since I stupidly got rid of my Model 10 many years ago, I've always had kind of a "background hankerin' " for a 4" .38 just to have and for letting new shooters try.

I picked up a police trade in Model 15 for that role some years ago.  I think I paid $289 for it.  I will likely never sell it, because I can't get another at a price I'm willing to pay.

I too have heard good things about the RIA revolvers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2024, 08:30:50 AM »
So even though I've owned cans for a while now, I still don't know enough about the different manufacturing methods to figure out the clean/don't clean thing. My Liberty Cosmic is "kinda clean it if you want to". My Rex Silentium is "Don't clean it". I think my Sig says "self-cleaning".

I was just watching the Shadow Systems video on their new can and they specifically said they manufactured it so the user can't clean the baffles.

I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the various manufacturing methods and materials, but it's incredibly confusing.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2024, 08:49:15 AM »
I actually just saw that Rock Island pop up on a video elsewhere in a 4" length in .38 Special. Ever since I stupidly got rid of my Model 10 many years ago, I've always had kind of a "background hankerin' " for a 4" .38 just to have and for letting new shooters try. The reviews seem to indicate that the Rock Island is actually a good value. I wouldn't pay the prices the big names are asking for revolvers these days for a gun that won't be shot a lot, but under $300? Sure.
I have the Kimber K6 Target.  4" barrel, 357 Mag.  It is a nice looking revolver, light and slim.  It is not comfortable to shoot 357 loads.  38 special is fine.  For a carry revolver that isn't snub nose, it is great.  That is just not what I use revolvers for.  My 3" S&W 7 shot revolver handles 357 much better. 

I tend to agree that revolver prices are up there.  Got to be a special gun to catch my interest these days.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2024, 08:54:42 AM »
Yep.  My first Form 1 can was basically a barrel extension with holes that I rapped very tightly in steel screen material and put an outer tube over.  Worked pretty well, .22LR down to the level of a BB gun or so.

And as Gun Jesus mentioned the M3 Grease gun silencers were metal mesh.

I have a 3D printed Huxwrks 5.56 can that works well, but I'm concerned about cleaning and longevity on it as well.  The numerous small passages are really good for letting gas cool and expand, but can get clogged.  Like K-Frame mentioned an US cleaner is one method.  Huxwrks says soak it in CLP to loosen the carbon then shoot it, and it'll all com out the front.  Haven't tried that yet on mine.
I have teh Huxwrk in 5.56 and 7.62.  I haven't cleaned them, but I am not sure I have put enough rounds through them to consider it.  I figure if I stick with supersonic ammo, they should both last as long as I need.  For the foam, I am curious if you could just heat it up with a good firing session then maybe blow it out. 

I have already heard rifle suppressors get cleaned after thousands of rounds.  Gonna be a while before I do that to one of my rifles much less a suppressor. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2024, 09:01:02 AM »
So even though I've owned cans for a while now, I still don't know enough about the different manufacturing methods to figure out the clean/don't clean thing. My Liberty Cosmic is "kinda clean it if you want to". My Rex Silentium is "Don't clean it". I think my Sig says "self-cleaning".

I was just watching the Shadow Systems video on their new can and they specifically said they manufactured it so the user can't clean the baffles.

I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the various manufacturing methods and materials, but it's incredibly confusing.

*Very Roughly*:

Rifle cans don't normally need to be cleaned, and most can't really be cleaned (They are often welded shut).  The gas of a rifle cartridge is generally hot enough and moving fast enough that while it lays carbon down, not that much, and successive shots will knock the carbon out.

Pistol Cans often need to be cleaned for the same reason, or rather that the gasses aren't moving fast enough to knock the carbon out so you get build up over time and have to do something about it.  Pistol can's normally can be disassembled for this reason.

.22 and rimfire cans are the worst about getting dirty because in addition to the low pressure not self cleaning, rimfire bullets are often unjacketed so you get lead and carbon build up.  IME .22 cans need to be cleaned the most frequently and as far as I know all commercially produced rimfire cans are made to be disassembled.

Ultrasonic baths work well as long as there is NO ALUMINIUM pars in them.  For example my Rugged Occulus .22 can has an aluminium outer tube and titatinum (I think) baffles.  THe instructions say to throw the baffles in an US, but not the tube.  US cleaners will eat softer metals like that.

^^^All that is for "Traditional" baffled and monocore cans.  THe newer 3D printed cans have way more complicated insides and the community is still seeing how they work.  As mentioned, my Flow556 says to soak it in CLP then shoot the carbon out.  I'm not sure what other makers with the flow through designs and smaller ports are saying.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2024, 09:09:16 AM »
I have teh Huxwrk in 5.56 and 7.62.  I haven't cleaned them, but I am not sure I have put enough rounds through them to consider it.  I figure if I stick with supersonic ammo, they should both last as long as I need.  For the foam, I am curious if you could just heat it up with a good firing session then maybe blow it out. 

I have already heard rifle suppressors get cleaned after thousands of rounds.  Gonna be a while before I do that to one of my rifles much less a suppressor.

Huxwrk says every 2500-3000 rounds clean it to extend supressor life.  In contrast Surefire says the RC2 (regular baffles) doesn't need interior cleaning, but you can do it every 10,000 rounds if you want.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2024, 10:09:03 AM »

OK, I'll admit that one is interesting.

21 ounce 5-shot .357 Mag. Actually looks fairly good.

Two points of concern... Push button cylinder release and the push button cylinder latch. Not necessarily a bad idea, but I'd want to really put one through a full range of adverse handling drills to make damned certain that those aren't a liability.

Ruger's used a pushbutton for many years on all their DA revolvers.  Not, AFAIK, any sort of problem.

The cylinder release, yeah, we've not seen that often.  Korth.  And Taurus.  (Oh, yeah, them.) 

I'm impressed that they took the time to counterbore the chambers so that the cartridge rim fits flush with the rear of the cylinder instead of standing above it. That's an expensive extra step in the manufacturing process.

What they did with the chambers in the cylinder I'd be worried about.   Ruger did that deeply scalloped style for the original .38 LCR.  When they did the .357 version they thickened those right back up to what we're used to seeing.  Will the cylinder on this Diamonback hold up?

And, Diamondback itself.  How are they on customer support? 

And, to be honest, the price doesn't seem that bad.

OK, the fact that it is soulless steel? Yeah, I don't like that. I find matte finish soulless steel to be a lot more tolerable. High polish? No thank you.

Price is surprisingly good, and it's a J frame grip frame so that's a big plus.

I've got 8 .357 Magnums and... 6 .38 Specials? Something like that.

I don't need any more.

yep, don't need anything more than what I got.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2024, 10:30:23 AM »
"Ruger's used a pushbutton for many years on all their DA revolvers.  Not, AFAIK, any sort of problem."

Yes they have. But that's not a Ruger made or designed revolver so there's no way of telling if the system is better, worse, or the same.

"he cylinder release, yeah, we've not seen that often.  Korth.  And Taurus.  (Oh, yeah, them.)"

See above.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2024, 01:40:39 PM »
Aero Precision Bolt Guns! Complete Rifles, Actions, & Chassis | SHOTShow 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RIbjNFDf3w

I got an email today from Aero Precision.  Advertising a free 30 cal K suppressor with a barreled action.  Of course, the actions are just under $1200.  I think that is comparable to other AR chasis bolt actions, but I don't normally look at those.