Author Topic: Pistol Window Cuts / Lightening Cuts  (Read 291 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pistol Window Cuts / Lightening Cuts
« on: January 26, 2024, 09:55:47 AM »
I'm just curious what you guys think of window cuts / lightening cuts on pistol slides. While I understand that they can help on competition guns, I just don't see them having any real use on a combat/defensive pistol, and it seems many manufacturers are offering them more for the looks than for any benefits. I'm up on being educated otherwise.

I see them as dirt magnets on an EDC gun. I understand that pistols like Beretta 92s are one big slide cut, but that seems almost less problematic than the smaller side cuts. I keep seeing that the "dirt magnet" thing is a wives tale, but usually that argument is put out by the manufacturer. It also seems like I wouldn't like them when racking the slide, especially while under time pressure. I've never shot a pistol with them, so I might be wrong as again, they seem to be big in the competitive community.

Anyway, just curious what the hive thinks of them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Pistol Window Cuts / Lightening Cuts
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 10:23:12 AM »
I have a 3 or 4 with cuts, and several very similar pistols without them.

The argument for them on non comp guns is that by lowering the reciprocating mass of the slide, the muzzle flip portion of the recoil is reduced. 

From shooting a bunch of basically G19 guns with a variety of slides, often on a timer, I would say that that effect is very minor, at best.  Frame stippling and/or undercuts, support hand thumb placement and pressure, Optic being used, and weight of ammo all seem to have more effect on "muzzle flip" in my hands.

I have used a bunch of ported slides in run and gun events, Tactical games, and just training in mud, sand, and dust and have not had an issue with dirt/crap ingress.  I think that is an old wives tail until you get to the "SCUBA insertion in a swamp" level of tactical.

So from my experience, they are pretty much aesthetic.  If a slide I want has ports, I won't avoid it, but I don't seek them out either.

If you want to reduce muzzle flip on your CC carry gun and do something that measurably reduces splits Ports/comps or increasing frame grip (stippling or something like Talon grips) will have be money much better spent.

Slides I've used to form this opinion:

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 10:26:01 AM »

So from my experience, they are pretty much aesthetic.  If a slide I want has ports, I won't avoid it, but I don't seek them out either.

Ditto
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 10:39:50 AM »
I can agree with that.  Unneeded. 

I often have a couple pistols laying around as home defense guns.  A gun can pick up a lot of lint that way.  Magazines used for a while as pocket spares can collect a lot of lint too.  I imagine cuts in the slide would pick that up easily.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 11:29:29 AM »
Thanks for that write-up Dogmush.

One of the reasons I'm asking this question is that I am pretty sure (until I change my mind again  :laugh: ) that I have settled on my XR920 as my primary carry gun. I was looking at getting a second one but with a threaded barrel, for "two is one" and just because. Mine is the Combat version, but they have discontinued it*. If I want everything the Combat comes with over the Shadow Systems Foundation series, I have to go to the Elite, which adds the window cuts (and also the top serrations, which I also don't like). I guess I can live with them, but would have rather not have them. The War Poet series comes with much smaller windows (which HAVE to be for just tacticool) that I could live with, but the XR920 is the only gun SS doesn't make as a War Poet**.

*As per usual, my waffling put me in this predicament. Cabelas, where I have a bunch of points to use, was selling the Combats for $150 off, likely to get rid of discontinued inventory. I snoozed and lost, because not only is the discount gone, but they don't have any threaded barrel Combat XR920s left. I guess I could get the standard barrel one they have left and pay $250 for a threaded barrel (I'm assuming drop-in), but if I hadn't waffled, I could have got what I wanted last month out the door for $400 after points. Oh well.

** I don't know why, but the XR920 seems to be the red-headed stepchild at SS. On the Glock side, the G45/19X seem to be much more loved. It's definitely a Shadow Systems company thing, because tons of people keep asking them for things like the XR920 War Poet, or XR920 versions of mods they do to the other models.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 11:38:16 AM »
Looking at dogmush's photo gave me a temporary case of PTSD.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 11:42:00 AM »
Yeah, I have no use for them at all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 11:42:33 AM »

I'm just trying to figure out why his optics are taped up with what looks like painter's tape.  =D

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 11:43:06 AM »

Well you and her have a lot in common

« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 01:01:10 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 12:58:20 PM »
I'm just trying to figure out why his optics are taped up with what looks like painter's tape.  =D
I imagine that would be a good way to force you to train with 2 eyes open.  Also keeping dust off at least one side.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 12:59:19 PM »

The occluded optics are set up for target focus reinforcement drills.  I've found myself slipping and looking at the dot as I start to really push the speed, so I have ben running some occluded drills.  It's a short term training tool to reinforce target focus for faster splits and transitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNQzB-Qci-8

Edit:  Mechag94 and I cross posted, but yep, that's the jist of it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2024, 01:48:49 PM »
I have learned something new today.  =)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 02:29:40 PM »
Well you and her have a lot in common

Wrong dingbat. It was Gersh Kuntzman. Get your dingbats straight!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife