Author Topic: “Restorative community rest stops”  (Read 768 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
“Restorative community rest stops”
« on: January 30, 2024, 08:33:42 AM »
The New York Times has discovered that people get gas and eat food at the same time. Some of the smartass comments are pretty hilarious.  :laugh:

They act like they're David Attenborough out here documenting wildlife.

https://twitchy.com/brettt/2024/01/29/new-york-times-discovers-southerners-have-gas-stations-with-restaurants-attached-n2392332
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: “Restorative community rest stops”
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 09:00:16 AM »
This has been a thing for over 20 years.  Someone would need to be pretty insulated in a city center for it to be new to them.

Also funny to me is most of franchises mentioned in the comments don't exist where I am aside from Buc-ee's.  Just about every major fast food chain has locations where the restaurant is one half of hte building and the other half is the gas station.  The only one I have eaten at locally is Carl's Jr. 

I don't remember seeing that much back in the 1980's.  I don't know if I really noticed the change until the 2000's when the big Buc-ee's locations started popping up on the interstates down here.  The large, clean restrooms attracted just about everyone who was on a road trip.  The relatively cheap gas and drinks brought in more.  Either way, it isn't a new trend.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 11:44:57 AM »
But but but...

How can one eat at a... *gasp* gas station?

It hasn't any Michelin stars!

I'm feeling faint...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 11:46:11 AM »
"This has been a thing for over 20 years."

Just 20 years?

I remember gas stations with attached restaurantettes from when I was a kid in the 1970s.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 11:52:18 AM »
    Took this long? We actually wear shoes as well.
    — Chris Broussard (@ChrisBroussard7) January 29, 2024

Went to Community college back in early 90s with a girl from Cali and she said she expected we would all be walking around barefooted. Said she had to explain on the phone to her friends back in Cali that we do actually do wear shoes.
Don't think even with the internet their view has improved much if at all in fact it could be worse now.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 11:54:29 AM »
I seem to remember them from earlier than 20 years as well. Though I might be mixing things up where there was a rest stop with a gas station and a Denny's or whatever 100 feet away.

Also, NYT might be surprised to know that progressive hippies from outside NYC have even gotten into this. The Mobil gas station at HWY395 & HWY120 (the way to Yosemite's East gate) has been a gas station/gourmet restaurant for a couple of decades. They do the whole "we're a gas station" shtick to draw in the tourists who think it's quaint to eat "gas station food", but then they serve stuff like $25 ahi tacos and whatnot. I will say that the cowboy steak sandwich there is good. I used to eat there once or twice a year when I would fish the Eastern Sierra.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 11:59:15 AM »
Truck stops with attached cafes have been around for 50-60+ years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz86Gjg8Ln0
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 12:17:18 PM »

Just 20 years?

I remember gas stations with attached restaurantettes from when I was a kid in the 1970s.

I remember we had regular, usual, gas and meal stops every time we drove out to Ronkonkoma Long Island from the city back in the forties and fifties.  It was an enjoyable part of the trip.

I imagine there were food and camel rests in the Saharan desert for the nomads and commercial travelers.

"All the news that's fit to print."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-16918787

THE SKY IS MOSTLY BLUE
                              Scientists reveal the truth

Pasadena CA 04 Feb 2024  -- Scientists at this famous lab have finally announced the results of ten years' worth of research.   "Yes, it is mostly blue," said Dr. Fred F. Linstone at a press conference announcing the discovery.  "It also gets to be a darker blue the higher in elevation that measurements are taken, until it becomes mostly black."

I'm not signing this one so nobody wll know who posted it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 12:30:01 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 12:29:27 PM »
North of Washington, DC, travel is sort of seen as an afterthought.

And they really dump on truckers. There are not as many truck stops, and they are smaller. There are fewer places to park, and if you hit something like a Walmart, they don't allow it - space is at a premium, and they just want you to deliver, and then go anywhere else. In NY/LI, there are "diners," but they are basically full restaurants, and  you're not gonna see a lot of work boots...
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 01:36:10 PM »

Just 20 years?

"Over 20 years" is actually longer than 20 years. Even the NYT knows that.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 01:51:55 PM »
The article doesn't seem to be pay-walled, and it looks like it's basically a promotional piece for a book by a woman raised in Mississippi. Some interesting comments:

Documenting these independent Southern temples of commerce and community has become a singular focus for the photojournalist Kate Medley, who, like most kids raised in Mississippi, grew up eating at rural gas stations.

The book began with a journalist’s curiosity, but ended up as a way for a daughter of the Deep South to make sense of the beautiful, brutal, complicated place she came from.

“These places hold great mystery,” she said. “You’re rolling down the road and they catch your visual attention. Then you wonder what’s behind that glass door when you hear that little bell ring. Is it the MAGA South? The welcoming South?

Small Southern towns remain informally segregated, but not at the gas stations that sell food — or the restaurants that sell gas.

I guess I haven't been down South since my trip to New Orleans about 4 years ago. Didn't know it had become brutal and segregated.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 02:08:16 PM »
Went to Community college back in early 90s with a girl from Cali and she said she expected we would all be walking around barefooted. Said she had to explain on the phone to her friends back in Cali that we do actually do wear shoes.
Don't think even with the internet their view has improved much if at all in fact it could be worse now.

Uhm... she might not have been bright enough for community college...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 02:14:27 PM »
Uhm... she might not have been bright enough for community college...

Well she was blonde  :rofl:

She was actually fairly bright just had some very mistaken ideas of what Kentucky was like before getting here
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 02:23:48 PM »
Well she was blonde  :rofl:

She was actually fairly bright just had some very mistaken ideas of what Kentucky was like before getting here

Oh, she went to Kentucky to go to college.

Uh....

Whut?

Pasadena City College wouldn't take her?

:rofl:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 02:31:15 PM »
Oh, she went to Kentucky to go to college.

Uh....

Whut?

Pasadena City College wouldn't take her?

:rofl:

Don't remember why she was here, maybe her family moved here. Just remember her telling me the above.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2024, 02:31:21 PM »
I should do a write-up on the local gun store/range/BBQ joint, and see how much the Times of Gotham will pay me for it.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2024, 03:40:37 PM »
North of Washington, DC, travel is sort of seen as an afterthought.

And they really dump on truckers. There are not as many truck stops, and they are smaller. There are fewer places to park, and if you hit something like a Walmart, they don't allow it - space is at a premium, and they just want you to deliver, and then go anywhere else. In NY/LI, there are "diners," but they are basically full restaurants, and  you're not gonna see a lot of work boots...

Truck stops in my corner of the northeast have really gone downhill. The ones along I-95 and I-84 in my area of operations are mostly 76 brand, with a couple of Pilots. Years ago, they had real, sit-down restaurants in them. About ten (or so) years ago they got rid of the restaurants. The nearby Pilot has some fast food franchise in it -- don't remember which. The 76 has in place of the restaurant a combo of Starbucks, Subway, and Popeye's Louisiana Chicken. The 76 is convenient for me when I'm heading home from the shooting range -- every time I've stopped there in recent memory the Starbucks and the Subway counters have been closed, and I don't like Popeye's chicken. I miss the sit-down restaurant.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2024, 04:19:30 PM »
We took a Yellowstone trip in 1982. On the way we stopped at Little America, at the time boasting more gas pumps than any travel stop in the nation. Nothing compared some current mega-stops, but big enough back then and a far cry from the convenience stores and corner stations most common at the time.

We don't have a Buc-ee's nearby ... yet. One going up on I-40 in Amarillo right now, but that's a solid hour and a half away. With the Ports To Plains corridor finally greenlit, chances are we'll have one in the next 8-10 years, if not by decade's end.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 07:29:09 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2024, 05:08:06 PM »
People still put gas oil into their automobiles?  :O
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2024, 05:23:18 PM »
People still put gas oil into their automobiles?  :O

Coal dust and kerosene.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 07:29:37 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2024, 05:26:41 PM »
The New York Times has discovered that people get gas and eat food at the same time. Some of the smartass comments are pretty hilarious.  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/brettt/2024/01/29/new-york-times-discovers-southerners-have-gas-stations-with-restaurants-attached-n2392332

Ah yes the NYT the same morons who think a corner bodega is a magical place that we in flyover country just don’t understand instead of a really shitty, dirty, and overpriced convenience store that doesn’t sell gas.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2024, 06:41:39 PM »
Ah yes the NYT the same morons who think a corner bodega is a magical place that we in flyover country just don’t understand instead of a really shitty, dirty, and overpriced convenience store that doesn’t sell gas.
The only reason I know what they mean by a bodega is because that one owner was able to kill the jerk who tried to beat him up a year or two ago.  Prior to that I would assume it was a sandwich or bagel shop. 

Just more proof that the people who think we are all a bunch of stupid country hicks are a bunch of stupid urban hicks who know little of the outside world. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2024, 08:05:10 PM »
I must have missed the NYT's bodega moment.

I did find this, however.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 01:50:26 AM by Perd Hapley »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2024, 09:09:21 PM »

The difference is that in a bodega the people behind the counter only speak Spanish, whereas in other shitty, over-priced convenience stores the people behind the register speak Pakistani or Arabic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2024, 02:41:04 AM »

I'm not signing this one so nobody wll know who posted it.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:30:01 by 230RN »

Like we're not all familiar with your work!   :rofl:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.