Author Topic: Google Maps vs Bing Maps  (Read 628 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Google Maps vs Bing Maps
« on: February 03, 2024, 09:03:36 AM »
I was just reading this morning that apparently Bing Maps updates their satellite maps way more often than Google. I pretty much never use Bing unless the "directions" link on some website takes me to it. I just looked, and sure enough, the mower implement I bought for my tractor last July is showing up on Bing, but not on Google. In fact the second shop that I had built over a year ago is still not showing up on Google.

Anyways, FYI.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Google Maps vs Bing Maps
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 10:34:28 AM »
Well, Bing maps street view still shows my house with my old windows, and those were done nearly 6 months ago...

OUTDATED BILL GATES BULLSHIT! WORTHLESS!

Whoa... holy *expletive deleted*it...  I just realized that, from the cars that are parked on the street and the now dead tree that was in my front yard...

That Bing maps street view picture is over a decade old.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 01:04:16 PM »
The Bing map satellite view of my place looks to be from Spring 2022 based on condition/stage of the garden and vehicles in the driveway.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 01:15:50 PM »
We got our house in 2020, and (yeah, it's stupid), but I was really wanting the Google Maps photo to be updated so it no longer showed a previous owner's car in the driveway, or the scuzzy-looking post that used to stand next to the driveway. Naturally, when they did take another photo, it was during the remodel, so there was a 20-yard dumpster in the driveway.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 01:31:45 PM »
My house on Bing maps satellite view is before we moved in 2.5 years ago and there is no street view available. On Google maps the satellite view is the same as Bing but the street view is reasonably new, it has the truck we bought in May of 22 in the driveway. Mapquest satellite is newer than both but when zooming in it becomes very blurry.

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 01:35:03 PM »
Newer sat views just means they're keeping a closer eye on you.  [tinfoil]
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2024, 01:37:10 PM »
Based on trees and vehicles, it looks like bing's image of my house is 3-5 years old, and google's is 7-8 years old. Bing has no streetside, and google's closest sstreetview is from another street, so I can't tell how old it is.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2024, 06:34:05 PM »
Bing sat view of my house just shows... trees.

We've got good tree cover over my court. Can't see squat for nothing.

Google street views doesn't have a really good view of my house, but it does say that it was captured in July 2022.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2024, 05:40:32 PM »
You folks got me curious.  Only Google had street view, Bing didn't.  And Google's picture is at least 2 years old based on the shrubbery in the front.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2024, 06:44:38 PM »
I've used google earth on desktop since a long time ago. It allows scrolling through georeferenced historic aerials, various seasonal tree canopies and surface hydrologies, allws attached USGS, CoE and NRCS data, so I've defaulted to google maps on android.

The pinnacle of my professional career was being documented on the current googlemaps aerial.
In summer 2022, while lounging around the house, I heard a recurring, slow, low, aeroplane. After checking the flightradar app, i excused myself and stood in the middle of the yard for 3 passes. Today my profile's shadow stands proudly in the GIS public domain.
7-11 was a part time job.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2024, 06:51:42 PM »
A number of years ago I actually spent an evening looking for carriers on Google Earth.
Think I found something like 6 or 7
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 07:04:38 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 07:01:02 PM »
Google is much higher resolution for both my house and job. Google’s images of both is from after 2020 but before 2022.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2024, 03:46:00 AM »
I missed being in an aerial view by seconds.  Pic showed a big black trash bag on the hood of my car in my assigned spot. Timing:  I carry the trash out to the car, put it on my hood, immediately get in the car and drive to the dumpster.  Missed immortality by seconds.  Next time I looked, my car was parked the other way... two weeks?  Don't know.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2024, 07:26:23 AM »
Finally got Google Maps sat view to come up for my place. I can't find a date on the image (the information at the bottom says 2024, but I think that's the copyrights). It's post 2019, though, because it shows my new roof, but it's pre mid-late summer last year because they've done a LOT of work at the school next door and have really torn up the grounds and cut a new driveway, and that's not showing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2024, 07:41:49 AM »
Finally got Google Maps sat view to come up for my place. I can't find a date on the image (the information at the bottom says 2024, but I think that's the copyrights).

You want to look at Google Earth, not Maps. The lower right gives acquisition date of the default image. It will even change as you move the mouse pointer around. Once you zoom in far enough, in the lower left just under the scale marker, you will see a year, which is the earliest available imagery. Click on that and it gives you all the historical imagery available.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2024, 09:33:02 AM »
Holy *expletive deleted*it, the Google Earth image of my house is from...

2018!

Old roof with the ventilator hood on it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2024, 10:11:00 AM »
Holy *expletive deleted*it, the Google Earth image of my house is from...

2018!

Old roof with the ventilator hood on it.

I'm actually surprised at that, given where you live. They are usually pretty proactive in higher population areas. Even my BFE place is June, 2022. When you go about starting at 50 miles West, into the desert, the imagery runs around 2014-2016.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2024, 10:39:25 AM »
Just looked at the Google Earth overhead for my house.  They've reverted to an earlier image from when I last looked at it.  None of the changes to our property show in the current image.  In previous images you could see our raised bed garden structure in the SW corner of our property.  I wonder why they would revert to an earlier image from years ago?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2024, 11:42:18 AM »
Google maps and google Earth have the same imagery for my house. Bing looks to be from maybe a month or so earlier, in 2022
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2024, 11:50:33 AM »
I haven't messed with Bing Maps at all until I saw this thread. Can't say I'm all that impressed.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Opportunity

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2024, 06:12:19 AM »
I’ll tell you about my house, on Bing maps the pond is located in the old place, I moved it to 2022, on Google maps it’s already in a new place and the detail of the maps is much better (in Bing many objects are overexposed).

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2024, 04:57:42 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes