Author Topic: Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken  (Read 237 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken
« on: February 04, 2024, 02:59:10 PM »
So that dang Kframe put a gun to my head and forced me to buy a slow cooker last week. I was planning on my first meal being some stew meat I had, but alas, that was in the garage fridge that crapped out a few days ago.

So I started searching for recipes I could do this weekend that didn't require a trip to the city for ingredients. I stumbled upon Tuscan chicken. Apparently I am out of the loop and this is a very popular dish that I've never heard of before. A quick trip to my little podunk grocery store and I was good to go. This came out really, really good.

I did tweak the ingredients a bit. Of course my store didn't have the Castelvetrano olives, but a quick search showed that Manzanilla olives make a fair substitute, and they had those. I also doubled the spinach and next time might use even more. I put the cornstarch and water mixture in at the gitgo instead of doing the whole "transfer to serving dish thing". I also added shredded parmesan cheese based on that being used in a pan recipe that I saw. Also, I didn't have the herb seasoning, so I just rubbed Italian salad dressing into the chicken thighs.

After I started it cooking, I perused some more recipes, and the next time I make this - and there WILL be a next time - I think I will use breasts instead of thighs. Some of the pan recipes said not to use breasts, I guess because they might dry out, but I don't think that will happen in the slow cooker. Or I might mix breasts and thighs. Also I saw some interesting spice choices, like using paprika.

I paired this with some fresh baked artisan bread, and I gotta say, dipping the fresh out of the oven warm bread in the sauce was ridiculously good. I had to stop myself from eating bread and sauce - it could have been a meal in itself.

Anyway, recommended.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/8420617/slow-cooker-tuscan-chicken/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 03:08:08 PM »
That looks good. Go on your local Amazon site and buy a tin of Tuscan seasoning mix, it is good for using on a lot of things.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 03:18:49 PM »
Thanks for the tip!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 04:35:39 PM »
"I guess because they might dry out, but I don't think that will happen in the slow cooker."

Don't kid yourself. I've had recipes where the I've turned slow cooker chicken breasts into shoe leather.

If you're going to use breasts I'd brine them before hand.

And, when I make this, I'm going to omit the olives (I can't stand olives) and use capers instead.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 05:08:08 PM »
Don't kid yourself. I've had recipes where the I've turned slow cooker chicken breasts into shoe leather.

Good to know. I might then do the breast/thigh mix next time so I can see the difference.