Author Topic: Grand Canyon by Drone  (Read 247 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Grand Canyon by Drone
« on: February 08, 2024, 05:55:28 AM »
I was watching "Mayday" on the collision of two planes over the Grand Canyon in 1956  and I wondered if there was any drone bytage of the canyon itself.  Turns out you need special permission to fly drones there, but I did find this one:

https://youtu.be/4Y8eHOp9ah4  (11:33, ad skippable))

Really enjoyable and relaxing until  you start wondering how some of those formations occurred.  It's also fascinating to see the same rock layers proceeding along the walls for such long distances.

Just food for thought.  You start getting an appreciation of geologic time.

Enjoy !

Now somebody's going to tell me it's all fake, right?

Terry, 230RN

REF (Aircraft collision):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Grand_Canyon_mid-air_collision
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Grand Canyon by Drone
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 07:33:01 AM »
That is pretty neat.

When I was in college we did a couple of days of discussions about the formation of the Colorado Plateau and it's many incredible geological formations. Depending on where you are you can see rock formations that were laid down something like 2.5 billion years ago.

Tony Hillerman wrote many of his Navajo police mystery novels about that area.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 08:33:09 AM »
Makes me want to go out there myself, camera in hand.

When I was little - around 4 years old - I went on a family vacation to Colorado, and we saw places like Pike's Peak, Lookout Mountain, the Garden of the Gods, etc. I still remember some of what I saw, but I'd like to return now as an adult and see if the mountains are still there.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 08:37:00 AM »
Makes me want to go out there myself, camera in hand.

When I was little - around 4 years old - I went on a family vacation to Colorado, and we saw places like Pike's Peak, Lookout Mountain, the Garden of the Gods, etc. I still remember some of what I saw, but I'd like to return now as an adult and see if the mountains are still there.
I heard they are gone.  Waited too long.   :lol:

My parents traveled and saw some stuff when I was too young to remember.  I need to plan some road trips.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 11:09:17 AM »
I heard they are gone.  Waited too long.   :lol:

My parents traveled and saw some stuff when I was too young to remember.  I need to plan some road trips.

Not such a joke.  The Rockies were raised and dropped and raised again a number of times.  Not in my lifetime, though. :)

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 12:05:07 AM »
Nice video Terry.
The opening shot is of "Dead Horse Bend" but, until 3:20, it looks more like Monument Valley rather than the Canyon.  And that arch near the end looks more like Delicate Arch in Canyonlands.
I expected to see more of the Colorado River in the main canyon.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”