Author Topic: Does anyone use the Brave browser?  (Read 676 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Does anyone use the Brave browser?
« on: February 10, 2024, 10:37:13 PM »
I run Firefox with AdBlock enabled. As of several weeks ago YouTube has been aggressively blocking users who run ad blockers. I don't wish to disable AdBlock for YouTube, and I have started using Brave for the sole purpose of accessing YouTube.

Problem: I have my home page set for YouTube, but when I start Brave I don't get YouTube -- I get Brave's dashboard page. I have checked the settings, and the home page is set for YouTube. Why isn't Brave using my designated home page as my home page?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Does anyone use the Brave browser?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 06:00:12 AM »
Dunno, works for me.

I am using a file on my laptop as a starting page but any valid URL SHOULD work.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 06:45:46 AM »
I use Brave almost exclusively.  On the first page of settings, make sure you click the radio button labeled "Open a specific page or set of pages", and just below that enter the URL of the page you want for your default.  I have mine set to the Duck Duck Go search engine.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 07:55:28 AM »
I run Firefox with AdBlock enabled. As of several weeks ago YouTube has been aggressively blocking users who run ad blockers. I don't wish to disable AdBlock for YouTube, and I have started using Brave for the sole purpose of accessing YouTube.

Problem: I have my home page set for YouTube, but when I start Brave I don't get YouTube -- I get Brave's dashboard page. I have checked the settings, and the home page is set for YouTube. Why isn't Brave using my designated home page as my home page?

Read Brave uses uBlock Origin as it's built in adblocker. You can download it into Firefox, using it right now.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 09:31:05 AM »
YouTube is able to detect the ad blocker in Brave.  They throttle their videos to anyone using an ad blocker, including to those that use the Brave browser.  I have experienced this first hand.
So far, when YouTube finds a way to detect the Brave ad blocker, Brave tweaks it to become undetectable again.  They've been fighting back and forth on this for a while now.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 09:44:32 AM »
YouTube is able to detect the ad blocker in Brave.  They throttle their videos to anyone using an ad blocker, including to those that use the Brave browser.  I have experienced this first hand.
So far, when YouTube finds a way to detect the Brave ad blocker, Brave tweaks it to become undetectable again.  They've been fighting back and forth on this for a while now.

I've not seen this in Brave yet. I just looked, and "stats for nerds" seems to be showing the youtubes chugging along at my normal bandwidth. Of course my normal bandwidth is like 12-18mbps, so maybe they only throttle people closer to 100mbps or more?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 09:52:14 AM »
Seen that from time time. YT messes with whatever ad blocker you're using, the ad blocker updates, rinse repeat.
Why YT refuses to offer something like a $5 a/month ad free subscription is beyond me. Instead they only offer their $14 prime service which includes things 90% of people don't want.

It wouldn't be so bad but the ads have gotten so intrusive and often so insultingly political that YT is almost unwatchable without an ad blocker. The latest that irked me
was a demand congress to ban assault weapons ad followed by a stay up sign the petition box.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 10:41:00 AM »
Seen that from time time. YT messes with whatever ad blocker you're using, the ad blocker updates, rinse repeat.
Why YT refuses to offer something like a $5 a/month ad free subscription is beyond me. Instead they only offer their $14 prime service which includes things 90% of people don't want.

Though I have to say, as much as I am a google hater, the other streaming services have gotten so bad and so expensive that I have considered doing just youtube (not youtubetv). I seem to find myself watching more youtube than anything else these days, and they're pretty much a "standard" streaming service these days as well. Over Christmas, I bought all of the "The Office" Christmas episodes to watch, and I'm pretty sure doing that was cheaper than a month of Peacock.

If the standard youtube subscription was the $8 student rate instead of the $14, I probably would be subscribed now, especially with the included youtube music, which seems to be better than the shitshow that Amazon Prime Music has become. When you think about what the other services offer vs what youtube offers, the $14 isn't really all that out of line, IMO.

I think people (including me) complain about it because youtube started free*.

*Free, other than the mining of your data, of course.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 01:57:35 PM »
ScrewToob has been REALLY pissing me off with the Ad after Ad after Ad! AAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 10:44:04 PM »
Dunno, works for me.

I am using a file on my laptop as a starting page but any valid URL SHOULD work.

HeroHog and Rocketman -

That's where I have set YouTube.com as my home page. But when I start Brave, it doesn't go to YouTube. When I'm elsewhere and click Home, it doesn't go there. Both take me to the Brave dashboard page. It's not insurmountable, but it's a nuisance.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 05:25:10 AM »
Here ya go, there at the bottom:

MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 08:59:07 AM »
HeroHog and Rocketman -

That's where I have set YouTube.com as my home page. But when I start Brave, it doesn't go to YouTube. When I'm elsewhere and click Home, it doesn't go there. Both take me to the Brave dashboard page. It's not insurmountable, but it's a nuisance.

I leave my Brave browser set to show "frequently visited sites" and "top sites" (what's the difference?) on the default Brave page.  Visit it enough and YT will be there.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 10:48:16 AM »

I leave my Brave browser set to show "frequently visited sites" and "top sites" (what's the difference?) on the default Brave page.  Visit it enough and YT will be there.

It does. Doesn't matter -- it's still an extra click that shouldn't be necessary if the software would display the home page it's set to display -- but doesn't.

Kind of like when I go to ANY Microsoft web page and then click "Back" to return to where I was -- and "Back" doesn't work on Microsoft's web sites. They hold you captive. Yes, I can open the browsing history and get back to my search results page that way -- but I shouldn't have to do that.

I jut don't like software that doesn't behave like it's supposed to.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 11:03:29 AM »
See my last post above for the solution to your issue.
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 11:53:29 PM »
See my last post above for the solution to your issue.

I already have the home page set to YouTube, and Brave doesn't respect that choice. How does adding another web site -- that I DON'T want -- help me get to YouTube as my home page?

You're not making sense there, Speedy.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 11:54:34 PM »

It does show there. I don't want to see the default Brave dashboard page, I want to go directly to YouTube. That's what a home page is supposed to do, right?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2024, 08:12:02 AM »
Brave has a re-install function that you can try.  Supposedly it retains bookmarks and settings so you won't lose anything.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2024, 11:10:47 AM »

Been seeing posts saying YT is targeting Firefox in particular in this meanwhile chrome based browsers aren't seeing the same problem or nearly as bad of a problem.
using in FF the same ad blocker Brave has built in I may be ready to believe that.
Brave is Chrome based. Chrome --> Google --> Youtube.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 11:23:18 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2024, 11:57:59 AM »
Noticed today when using brave and clicking on a you tube, it brings up the video's intro screen, but when you click on the  "play" arrow, it kicks everything off and I'm back to my windows opening screen.  Me?  You tube?  Brave browser? Fluke?  End of the world as we know it?

It's as if you hit the back button several times.  "As if."

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2024, 12:07:32 PM »
Not noticing any problems
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2024, 01:17:33 PM »
Noticed today when using brave and clicking on a you tube, it brings up the video's intro screen, but when you click on the  "play" arrow, it kicks everything off and I'm back to my windows opening screen.  Me?  You tube?  Brave browser? Fluke?  End of the world as we know it?

it does that with some computers I've got Brave on, not others.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2024, 05:18:56 PM »
I have been viewing Youtube through Brave for quite some time and never had any issues, and never had any ads either  :lol:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2024, 07:15:24 PM »

It seems to be working normally for me.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2024, 07:37:46 PM »
I have been viewing Youtube through Brave for quite some time and never had any issues, and never had any ads either  :lol:

I've been viewing YT with Brave for quite a while.  However, the end-of-video ads just started showing up again a few days ago.  Looks like the YT vs. Brave ad blocker battle is still going on.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2024, 07:53:44 PM »
Latest update (today) to 1.64.113 (Mar 27, 2024) fixed it here.

(Linux version)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 11:28:14 AM by lee n. field »