Author Topic: Cooking Brown Rice  (Read 265 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cooking Brown Rice
« on: June 16, 2024, 12:40:20 PM »
Anybody cook brown rice? I have mostly just bought the Uncle Ben's ready rice when I've wanted brown rice, so don't have any experience with it. I cook white rice all the time, and have a pretty perfect formula of 1 cup rice to two cups water (with butter and salt added before it boils) with an 18 minute cook time on my induction plate. Comes out perfect every time.

From browsing, it appears that I can do the same with the brown rice, but need to increase cook time to 30ish minutes, though the recipes all seem to vary on that. Anyone have a foolproof formula? Just for cooking in a pot - I don't want to invest in a rice cooker or any gadgets.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Cooking Brown Rice
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 01:57:18 PM »
I push the button that says "Brown Rice" on my rice cooker. It's the best I can do for you.  =D

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 04:11:07 PM »
Bake it the way Alton Brown does it.

It's a game changer.

https://www.food.com/recipe/alton-browns-baked-brown-rice-177017
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 09:30:24 PM »
Anybody cook brown rice? I have mostly just bought the Uncle Ben's ready rice when I've wanted brown rice, so don't have any experience with it. I cook white rice all the time, and have a pretty perfect formula of 1 cup rice to two cups water (with butter and salt added before it boils) with an 18 minute cook time on my induction plate. Comes out perfect every time.

From browsing, it appears that I can do the same with the brown rice, but need to increase cook time to 30ish minutes, though the recipes all seem to vary on that. Anyone have a foolproof formula? Just for cooking in a pot - I don't want to invest in a rice cooker or any gadgets.

I don't cook brown rice very often, but it cooks just like white rice except it takes about 45 minutes instead of 15.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 07:46:15 AM »
The biggest problem with trying to pot cook brown rice on the stove top is the tendency for it to overcook and burst and ending up gummy.

If you're like me, who likes sticky rice in most cases, that's not a problem. But if you're looking for brown rice for a salad or some other use where the grains are better separate, then the baking trick is, I feel the way to go.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 08:30:45 AM »
I'm gonna try that baking trick.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 08:36:48 AM »
I've never tried cooking brown rice in a slow cooker, but I could see it working.

https://www.thekitchn.com/slow-cooker-brown-rice-259084

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 03:49:29 PM »
I like to cook it for 45 minutes at a simmer as low as I can get it. I also like to use chicken or beef broth instead of water and some butter last 10 minutes.
I mix it with wild rice when I have it. Wife likes to add pine nuts.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2024, 07:39:03 AM »
You know, I've never tried cooking brown rice on my induction burner. I should give that a try because it's very precise and I can set the temperature... Not sure what the lowest setting is, it might be 175 of so, but I can also set it at 212 and 248. That might make cooking it a lot more precise and less likely to explode the grains.