Author Topic: When Acorns Attack  (Read 891 times)

MechAg94

• friend
When Acorns Attack
« on: February 17, 2024, 10:31:23 PM »
Warning:  No one was physically harmed in this incident. 

Acorn Scares Cop Into MAG DUMPING Handcuffed Suspect!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvxyHsBHKiw

‘I’M DAMAGED FOR LIFE:’ Okaloosa man recalls deputies shooting at him in patrol car, handcuffed and unarmed
https://www.wkrg.com/northwest-florida/okaloosa-county/okaloosa-county-deputy-resigned-in-december-after-officer-involved-shooting/

Hernandez then approached the passenger side rear door of his patrol vehicle to do a secondary search of Jackson when he heard a pop sound, which he thought was a gunshot, and believed he had been hit, according to an OCSO news release.

Hernandez yelled “shots fired” multiple times, fell to the ground, rolled and began firing in the patrol car, according to body camera footage of the incident.

Sgt. Beth Roberts then began firing into the vehicle in response to the perceived threat after she saw Hernandez’s response, reaction, and fear for his life.

Jackson escaped injury, and no weapon was located, the OCSO said.

Donut's raw police footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHY5JlvQG4A

44 page Sheriff's report
https://www.sheriff-okaloosa.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/IA-2023-031-Final-Report-Jackson.pdf

This story gets my attention in multiple ways, but at least we aren't talking about a handcuffed man shot by deputies.  I can't imagine the leadership trying to twist things to not make it look like an execution.  Sort of takes the "He's Coming Right For Us!!" argument and adds cocaine.  Donut did say the deputy resigned.  Aside from him, what they hell was the other officer shooting at?  She had no target at all and could easily have shot her partner (same for him).  They were both lucky they didn't actually hurt anyone.  Even so, attempted murder or manslaughter ought to be in the cards.  It would be for anyone else. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
Re: When Acorns Attack
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 11:37:09 PM »
  Aside from him, what they hell was the other officer shooting at?  She had no target at all and could easily have shot her partner (same for him).

My understanding is they ruled she acted reasonably.  Her partner said he was hit and started firing at the suspect.  She could have assumed something must have transpired that resulted in the suspect being able to shoot from inside the car.  Kind of questionable since she didn't have an obvious target, other than the car in general.  I'm glad nobody was hit, inside or outside the car.  Can you imagine if she was a better shot and had killed the guy who later would be found to be unarmed and handcuffed?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 12:34:17 AM »
Warning:  No one was physically harmed in this incident. 

Acorn Scares Cop Into MAG DUMPING Handcuffed Suspect!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvxyHsBHKiw

‘I’M DAMAGED FOR LIFE:’ Okaloosa man recalls deputies shooting at him in patrol car, handcuffed and unarmed
https://www.wkrg.com/northwest-florida/okaloosa-county/okaloosa-county-deputy-resigned-in-december-after-officer-involved-shooting/

Donut's raw police footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHY5JlvQG4A

44 page Sheriff's report
https://www.sheriff-okaloosa.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/IA-2023-031-Final-Report-Jackson.pdf

This story gets my attention in multiple ways, but at least we aren't talking about a handcuffed man shot by deputies.  I can't imagine the leadership trying to twist things to not make it look like an execution.  Sort of takes the "He's Coming Right For Us!!" argument and adds cocaine.  Donut did say the deputy resigned.  Aside from him, what they hell was the other officer shooting at?  She had no target at all and could easily have shot her partner (same for him).  They were both lucky they didn't actually hurt anyone.  Even so, attempted murder or manslaughter ought to be in the cards.  It would be for anyone else.

So the idiot deputy was a West Point graduate, and Army officer, and special forces for ten years.

Doesn't leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy if he's representative of who's protecting my country.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 01:50:47 AM »
And after all the excitement and first mag dump, it sure looked like he left his reload on the ground, and was pointing an unloaded weapon at the "threat". anyone else catch that?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 09:53:31 AM »
Missed that.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 10:55:04 AM »
If he gets back to regular duty he should be required to drive the bullet riddled cruiser for the rest of his career.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 11:14:17 AM »
So the idiot deputy was a West Point graduate, and Army officer, and special forces for ten years.

Doesn't leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy if he's representative of who's protecting my country.
He was the only one professional enough to have a firearm . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2024, 06:34:08 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2024, 09:29:33 PM »
My understanding is they ruled she acted reasonably.  Her partner said he was hit and started firing at the suspect.  She could have assumed something must have transpired that resulted in the suspect being able to shoot from inside the car.  Kind of questionable since she didn't have an obvious target, other than the car in general.  I'm glad nobody was hit, inside or outside the car.  Can you imagine if she was a better shot and had killed the guy who later would be found to be unarmed and handcuffed?
I skipped to the end of the report where it said she was exonerated.  I just thought she should have gone around to her partner where she might see what was happening.  In hindsight, she wouldn't have seen anything since her partner wasn't shot.  I assume since he partner claimed he was shot and shot up his own car, they decided she didn't deserve any blame.  Fair point I guess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2024, 09:31:55 PM »
I also noted from the article, the woman reported the suspect had a suppressor when she called the cops.  I assume these officers were told that.  Must have freaked this officer out a bit and gone to his head. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 10:43:11 PM »
I also noted from the article, the woman reported the suspect had a suppressor when she called the cops.  I assume these officers were told that.  Must have freaked this officer out a bit and gone to his head.

The cop said he thought he heard a suppressed weapon being fired.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 08:55:22 AM »
Ha ha - the cop started his own version of the Dickens Drill.  :rofl:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1759601858392314251

Also, I found a longer video that shows the ongoing response. The cop keeps talking about being hit, but none of the responding officers are checking him out.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1757536607572279482
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 09:38:23 AM »
If he gets back to regular duty he should be required to drive the bullet riddled cruiser for the rest of his career.
I saw somewhere in the links that he had resigned.  I assume it was out of embarrassment and to avoid disciplinary action. Given the suspect's lawsuit, he can't leave it behind just yet. 
After things are all settled, I hope the guy finds another line of work. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 11:06:56 AM »
I skipped to the end of the report where it said she was exonerated.  I just thought she should have gone around to her partner where she might see what was happening.  In hindsight, she wouldn't have seen anything since her partner wasn't shot.  I assume since he partner claimed he was shot and shot up his own car, they decided she didn't deserve any blame.  Fair point I guess.

I disagree, and it's my only real complaint with how TPTB responded.

I was on board as she drew her weapon, moved to cover, and started talking to her partner.  I even understand taking the whole "I'm Hit!" at face value in the moment.  But I can't get past her firing her weapon when she had no target.  Even if we let her assume the suspect in the back of the car had a gun and was shooting at her partner, she had no idea where he was, and no shot at a threat. I can't excuse popping off rounds in American towns without a clear threat being targeted.  That car isn't stopping those bullets, and there's a parking lot and buildings back there.

She made a mistake (Fired at not a threat) and broke a safety rule doing it (Know your target and what's beyond it).  She should face some repercussions for that.  Not necessarily being fired or anything, but she shouldn't have been told she was correct.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2024, 01:27:02 PM »

Those 2 front teeth look like they would do a good job on a "nut".

From what I have heard elsewhere, the "I'm hit! cry-baby didn't wait to be fired - he resigned on his own.
  [popcorn]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2024, 11:12:02 PM »
Those 2 front teeth look like they would do a good job on a "nut".

From what I have heard elsewhere, the "I'm hit! cry-baby didn't wait to be fired - he resigned on his own.
  [popcorn]

Regarding your first remark, I don't know whether to congratulate you on not having a dirty mind, or wonder whether I'm missing something about the role of teeth in, uh, adult activities.

Regarding the acorn assault victim, I imagine he quit because he doesn't like being the new "only one professional enough" guy. And I'm guessing he was encouraged to seek other employment.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 11:45:26 PM »
Used to be, if someone resigned after such an epic *expletive deleted*up we said that at least he did that rather than make their employer fire them.  When did we switch to it being shameful?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2024, 12:44:59 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2024, 05:58:00 AM »
The cop who resigned was a West Point Officer?

I'm not clear: he was the one who claimed being hit, right?  Maybe he was "thinking" that would bring more immediate help  / backup even though apparently he wasn't hit.

I echo someone's worry about our armed services.  Maybe he was too tightly trained.  I knew of a battle vet who kind of "flinched" when a loud noise went off.  I guessed it was kind of a preparatory component of actually ducking.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2024, 12:06:53 PM »

I'm not clear: he was the one who claimed being hit, right?  Maybe he was "thinking" that would bring more immediate help  / backup even though apparently he wasn't hit.

I echo someone's worry about our armed services.  Maybe he was too tightly trained.  I knew of a battle vet who kind of "flinched" when a loud noise went off.  I guessed it was kind of a preparatory component of actually ducking.

He apparently got so freaked out that he couldn't move his legs, and really thought he'd been hit. Some are saying he was already dealing with PTSD from his experiences in the military. I don't know what his service record is, though.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2024, 04:13:28 PM »
^  Yes, that helps, thanks. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2024, 10:08:00 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2024, 10:32:55 PM »

Love At First Sight
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2024, 11:55:26 PM »
Regardless of what caused the officer to freak out and do what he did, he is lucky he is not facing murder charges.  Attempted murder or attempted manslaughter are charges he could have gotten. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2024, 02:57:12 AM »

Yes, he was a West Pointer.

Apparently he was so certain he had been shot that he didn't know otherwise until he had been transported to a hospital and an examination showed no injuries.