Author Topic: Cell signal down across U.S.. Dry run or tech issue?  (Read 1022 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Cell signal down across U.S.. Dry run or tech issue?
« on: February 22, 2024, 09:05:51 AM »
Looks like cell services are down across the country this morning, depending on your provider.  Made sure to establish comms with my family for awareness. 

Question is, is this a dry run or technology issue?  Will find out soon enough but it definitely reminded me to go over our comm out procedures and remind the girls on what to do/ how to respond if it’s a drawn out problem.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Cell signal down across U.S.. Dry run or tech issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 09:09:23 AM »
I mean, Occom's Razor puts it at a technical glitch, but I admit that when I put on my tinfoil as I read about it, I was thinking that it happening at zero dark thirty for most of the country would be a good timeframe for a government testing its ability to shut down civilian comms.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 09:28:00 AM »
Your avg teenager right now after not being able to text for 10 minutes: My life is over!
Meanwhile: Found the problem

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 09:30:16 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 10:09:32 AM »
My Verizon service has been okay.  I heard someone comment about AT&T.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 10:14:57 AM »
I heard someone comment about AT&T.

Looks like AT&T is the locus. Just ran across mention of solar activity as the culprit. Anyone see info to support that?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 10:16:20 AM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 10:17:02 AM »
I just checked and our Verizon signals are up and running.  The Net tells me AT&T is having issues.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 10:31:26 AM »
Looks like AT&T is the locus. Just ran across mention of solar activity as the culprit. Anyone see info to support that?

Brad

Seems like if it was space weather, it would have hit others besides AT&T, as well as other tech.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 10:42:14 AM »
This is what happens when you let fascists kill the net neutrality.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 10:49:19 AM »
We're impacted by this outage in Hickory, NC.  We have Consumer Cellular, and their service piggybacks on AT&T from what I know.  Can't make outgoing calls on the cell network at this point.  It should work with WiFi calling, but I haven't tested it as yet.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2024, 10:51:59 AM »
Flare warning and a pair of X-Ray spikes last night but not sure if it was strong enough to cause this. The ejecta is forecasted to have a possible glancing effect the 25th

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/21-22-feb-r3-events

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 02:44:17 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2024, 11:08:37 AM »
I won't call this one enemy action yet.

It's far more likely this is some intersection of buggy equipment, a natural event, and generally crumbling infrastructure.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2024, 11:16:47 AM »
I won't call this one enemy action yet.

It's far more likely this is some intersection of buggy equipment, a natural event, and generally crumbling infrastructure.

I'm betting someone screwed up a system software update.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2024, 11:18:53 AM »
I'm betting someone screwed up a system software update.

Yep
Or downloaded a virus laden video off Chinese Facebook aka TikTok
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2024, 12:13:54 PM »
I PUSHED THE RED BUTTON!

I'M SORRY!

JEESH!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2024, 12:39:34 PM »
Flare warning and X-Ray spike last night but not sure if it was strong enough to cause this.

I'm still thinking not space weather, as I haven't heard anything about GPS or comms sats being affected. If there's anything out there about that, a solar event would be a likely source. GPS is generally more sensitive to it than earth based cell towers.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2024, 01:59:31 PM »
I would be worried it is a prelude to invasion but we have been getting invaded for over three years.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2024, 02:44:40 PM »
Cell service is back up in my neck of the woods.  Not sure when it came back online.  The tire shop was able to call me earlier when my Yeep was ready.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2024, 04:08:18 PM »
Cell service is back up in my neck of the woods.  Not sure when it came back online.  The tire shop was able to call me earlier when my Yeep was ready.
I was okay, but a guy I sent a text message to early in the morning called me about 1 PM to ask me about it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2024, 05:43:16 PM »
I've got Tracfone and have had no issues. Maybe it's aliens who are taking down our communications alphabetically . . .
. . .  It's far more likely this is some intersection of buggy equipment, a natural event, and generally crumbling infrastructure.
I was talking to an AT&T tech a few days ago who was out to fix my POTS service. He said in about 2 years AT&T will be discontinuing traditional landline telephone service entirely - EVERYTHING will be either VOIP or cell. They're already curtailing service and maintenance, but doing so very quietly.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2024, 08:59:19 PM »
I PUSHED THE RED BUTTON!

I'M SORRY!

JEESH!

We knew it had to be you, 'cause RKL retired from _ _ & _ a while back.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2024, 09:14:19 PM »
I PUSHED THE RED BUTTON!

I'M SORRY!

JEESH!

https://youtu.be/MlrCMK14zHs?si=X4oziU_IJx8FCpOd&t=10  (I assume that's the reference you were going for)  :laugh:
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2024, 08:38:06 AM »
https://youtu.be/MlrCMK14zHs?si=X4oziU_IJx8FCpOd&t=10  (I assume that's the reference you were going for)  :laugh:

No, but that works.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.