Author Topic: Anyone else think this is a joke?  (Read 5835 times)

m1911owner

• friend
Anyone else think this is a joke?
« on: April 30, 2007, 04:38:23 PM »
The following picture had the caption, "A House Armed Services Committee staff member displays a model of what a Russian nuclear suitcase bomb 'might look like.' (AP)"

http://www.newsmax.com/images/headlines/Suitcase_Nuke.jpg

To me, it looks like a pipe bomb, made out of standard galvanized water pipe, painted silver.

Does anyone here think it looks even remotely like what would have to be there for a nuclear bomb?

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Anyone else think this is a joke?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 04:43:28 PM »
To my understanding the smallest "suitcase nukes" developed were only small enough to fit in a very large backpack. A large piece of luggage could probably hold one just fine, but I think the classic, standard hard case suit-case is a bit small. I sincerely doubt they're small enough to be a briefcase nuke, as they're "demonstrating" here.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 05:06:31 PM »
Can't be a suitcase nuke - it doesn't have one of those red LED thingies to tell you how long you have left to live.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 05:09:40 PM »
Wasn't there a movie in the 80s about some kid who stole some plutonium and built his own bomb that looked much like that?

I know it had the actor who played Frasier Crane's dad as a general..what the hell was it called.....

Off to IMDB I go, then.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

onions!

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 05:11:01 PM »
From the dim recollections of my noodle that looks big enough to be a right nasty dirty bomb.

Or,as they say in the movies,a BOM!

cool

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 05:11:40 PM »
The Manhattan project! That was it!
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 05:15:42 PM »
Who would have thought that the Russians bought their ignition switches at Home Depot ?

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MattC

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 05:42:15 PM »
Who would have thought that the Russians bought their ignition switches at Home Depot ?

They were already there for the silver spray paint, and said, what the heck, we'll just get the switch here as well rather than making our own.  Is that a lantern battery they have spray painted also?  But I love how they left the switch red so that everyone could distinguish it from the rest of the space-glam suit case.

What was the White House trying to sell that they had to put together such a pretty display piece?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 05:44:18 PM »
That size, and sans the technology required to miniaturize a full-off fission device? The thingy in the picture has merit only as a "dirty bomb", namely a HE device used to spread radionuclides.  I do, however, think the light-switch is a nice touch - and I pity the guy who volunteers to detonate it with that toggle.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 06:31:51 PM »
It's not an accurate representation.

I can't tell you anything else about it, but, no.

It's more like a foot locker.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 07:52:16 PM »
I don't know if this is the case or not, but supposedly the Russian "briefcase" nukes use Little Boy-type technology in which explosives fire a uranium slug down the barrel of a "gun" into a target of uranium.

An implosion-type bomb would simply be too large.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 02:13:32 AM »
My government spends a zillion dollars a year on G-d knows what, and this is the best they can come up with to build a fake bomb? rolleyes  That thing isn't up to B grade movie quality.  I suppose I should be scared by the painted silver lantern battery. laugh
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 03:49:44 AM »
That's a suitcase nuke?

Looks like he had his kid put it together from spare parts in his garage the morning after watching an episode of "24" . . .

But how reasonable is it?

According to various sources on the Web, the W54 warhead was " . . . the smallest and lightest . . . " warhead ever deployed by the USA; it weighed just over 50 pounds. Yields for various versions are reported as 10 ton to 1 kiloton. (Not being a nuke engineer, I'm curious how they manage to get a yield that low with a functioning weapon.)

As incorporated in the Davy Crockett weapon, the maximum diameter was around 11" or so.

Various atomic artillery shells - down to 155mm - were also developed and tested.

Considering the thickness and strength required of a shell meant to be fired out of a howitzer, I'd say something hand-carried could be smaller and lighter . . . though I really wouldn't want to be close to a chunk of unshielded plutonium even if it weren't armed.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 03:53:11 AM »

That one actually did SOME research. The movie bomb had a "soccerball" of shaped charge connected to what looked and sounded like capacitors being charged up by a high-voltage supply when it armed, around what would seem to have been a plutonium core. That's certainly a feasible design, though I'd expect the dimensions and tolerances would have to be rather exacting to get anything but a bang and spray of plutonium all over.

BTW, I like the wall switch and silver spraypaint on the one at top. Bling bomb!

But doesn't that look like an old lantern battery in the corner? I thought you at least needed a capacitor's charge, like a disassembled camera flash circuit, to set off plastic explosives?

Vile Nylons

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 05:06:48 AM »
Looks like the Ace Hardware "low bid" version of Monty Python's Holy Handgrenade.  grin 

crt360

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
Pretty tidy wiring for something so cheaply constructed.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 12:48:20 PM »

That one actually did SOME research. The movie bomb had a "soccerball" of shaped charge connected to what looked and sounded like capacitors being charged up by a high-voltage supply when it armed, around what would seem to have been a plutonium core. That's certainly a feasible design, though I'd expect the dimensions and tolerances would have to be rather exacting to get anything but a bang and spray of plutonium all over.

BTW, I like the wall switch and silver spraypaint on the one at top. Bling bomb!

But doesn't that look like an old lantern battery in the corner? I thought you at least needed a capacitor's charge, like a disassembled camera flash circuit, to set off plastic explosives?

He used the capacitors from big photographic strobes.

That movie always struck me as one of the more truthy "build your own bomb" movies as far as bomb design based on available public-info research goes.

And I like how he spoofed the security in the lab to get the nuclear material.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 01:54:04 PM »
I seem to remember seeing something in Reader's Digest when I was a kid - a story about a college student who designed an implosion device as a college doctorate project or some such.  If memory serves they gave him an "A" and immediately classified his work.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

jrfoxx

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 02:56:29 PM »
Our tax money well spent as usual. $7 worth of paint, pipe and battery, that the government probly paid $5000 for, and requred a team of 10 people being paid $180,000 a year to build, taking 3 years to assemble....

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 04:57:12 PM »
I seem to remember seeing something in Reader's Digest when I was a kid - a story about a college student who designed an implosion device as a college doctorate project or some such.  If memory serves they gave him an "A" and immediately classified his work.

Brad

I believe it was called "How I Built an A-bomb my Junior Year at Princeton". They said it only lacked the fissionable material to be fully functional. The title doesn't show up in a cursory web search.

Edit: And of course, FBI/DHS have now noted that I "attempted to find instructions for building an A-bomb"...  rolleyes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 05:04:47 PM »
Looks like the Ace Hardware "low bid" version of Monty Python's Holy Handgrenade.  grin 

THREE, M'LORD!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 05:07:31 PM »

Brad

I believe it was called "How I Built an A-bomb my Junior Year at Princeton". They said it only lacked the fissionable material to be fully functional. The title doesn't show up in a cursory web search.

Edit: And of course, FBI/DHS have now noted that I "attempted to find instructions for building an A-bomb"...  rolleyes

I remember that article.

The guy got everything at libraries via unclassified or declassified materials.

The jist of one line sticks with me... "When I showed my advisor, who had worked on the Manhattan Project during the war, what I had accumulated, he was visibly shaken."

I believe that that article was the premise for the movie Manhattan Project.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 05:55:39 PM »
The kid had moxy, and being in one of the agencies that dealt with nuclear proliferation, he had our grudging respect. (I'll bet he had Hso's respect, too!)

What he didn't, and couldn't, know was that he had created something from open-source publications that would fall under CNWDI rules.  That's Critical Nuclear Weapons Design Information, and it's a type of restricted access where one is read into the program and read out when they no longer need access.  In hindsight, we should've hired the kid, gave him a clearance, and made him sign the ubiquitous non-disclosure agreement as the best way to keep him from disseminating his work.

It wasn't the first time somebody put 2+2 together from open source documents, creating a classified document, and I'm sure it won't be the last.  Dale Brown has bumped into that problem more than once. Occam's Razor ("All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one.") and all...   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 06:02:38 PM »
Edit: And of course, FBI/DHS have now noted that I "attempted to find instructions for building an A-bomb"...

Torpark dude.  Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 07:19:44 PM »
Being in the military we are always subject to the OPSEC talks.  Becareful what you say in public places and such.  Because it isn't always the classified stuff that will bite you in the ass.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!