Author Topic: Chorizo and Egg Scramble  (Read 259 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Chorizo and Egg Scramble
« on: February 23, 2024, 10:10:56 AM »
I haven't had chorizo in forever, and when I've had it, it has been in breakfast burritos. I saw some good looking chorizo at the store yesterday so picked it up.

I just made myself a chorizo scramble with chorizo, four eggs, peppers, red onions, a couple of handfuls of spinach, and shredded cheese. Side of sourdough toast with a mix of orange and huckleberry jam. Man was that delicious.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Chorizo and Egg Scramble
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 10:22:18 AM »
I do love chorizo, but like you, don't get it that often.

I really like it in red beans and rice.

I got a pound of chorizo last year and I think I ended up using it in chili.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 11:18:20 AM »
Thanks for the idea for lunch.  I have a chub of cheap Mexican chorizo in the fridge.  Not sure if it's beef or pork (the beef is greasier)  Eggs, fresh jalapenos, red and yellow onions, cheese.  Maybe some shredded carrot to bulk it up, I've never added that before but I don't see how it could ruin it.  I have low-carb tortillas and some homemade salsa to eat with it.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 11:18:59 AM »
I do love chorizo, but like you, don't get it that often.

I really like it in red beans and rice.

I got a pound of chorizo last year and I think I ended up using it in chili.

The Mexican kind or Spanish?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 11:25:30 AM »

While that was directed at Mike, one of the reasons I picked mine up yesterday was because it was the pork Spanish kind. I loves me some linguica too.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 11:29:00 AM »
While that was directed at Mike, one of the reasons I picked mine up yesterday was because it was the pork Spanish kind. I loves me some linguica too.  =)

I have never seen the Spanish kind of chorizo for sale, I'm just having trouble imagining the Mexican kind in beans and rice.  I should try to make some [Spanish] with the big pork roast I have in the deep freezer if I can find a reasonable-looking recipe.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 11:31:30 AM »
I have never seen the Spanish kind of chorizo for sale,

We have a significant Basque community in this region, which might be why I found it at the grocery. Note to self: Next time I'm in the city, I need to stop by one of the Basque markets.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 11:33:51 AM »

Mexican. Never seen Spanish style chorizo for sale here in my area.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 11:36:08 AM »
"I have never seen the Spanish kind of chorizo for sale, I'm just having trouble imagining the Mexican kind in beans and rice."

It's good.

Pickled pork is traditionally used in red beans and rice, but I've used ground turkey, pork sausage, ham, turkey sausage, and chicken in red beans and rice. All are tasty and add a different character.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 03:29:15 PM »
We have a small family run Mexican joint here. They make a great chorizo skillet breakfast. We only eat breakfast out rarely but when we do, it’s there.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 05:37:58 PM »
My chorizo and egg scramble was awful.  I ate half and gave half to the dogs.  The chorizo seemed like it had way too much vinegar.  It all melted into a sludge like it always does but there was not much red grease, and I had to cook away all excess that moisture.  Wife even commented that it smelled good (she rarely misses an opportunity to tell me that whatever I'm cooking stinks) but it tasted too sour.  I think this is the same brand of chorizo that I always get, either at Aldi or Walmart, but it was the pork kind instead of beef.  I just cooked half, I'm debating whether to throw the other half away.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2024, 07:22:56 AM »
Get a box of Zatarain's red beans and rice and cook and add the chorizo to that.

I bet it will be pretty good.