Author Topic: More biometric gun safes recalled  (Read 162 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
More biometric gun safes recalled
« on: February 24, 2024, 07:38:33 AM »
For being, scary language warning, "ticking time bombs"

A total of 120,520 gun safes were recalled on Thursday. The four different models were sold at Walmart, Amazon and Bass Pro Shops nationwide.

The safes were recalled because the biometric lock could fail or be opened by unauthorized users, "posing a serious injury hazard and risk of death." The "deadly" hazard is widespread in products across the nation, and the CPSC urged consumers to "immediately stop" using the biometric lock feature and remove the batteries.

Once the batteries are removed, consumers should only use the keys for the safe to retrieve firearms until they receive a free replacement from the company from which they purchased the safe.

Impacted companies are Bulldog Cases, Machir, BBRKIN and Awesafe. Newsweek has reached out to the companies by email for comment.

Bulldog says it's because people aren't programming the safes off demo mode.

A spokesperson for Bulldog Cases told Newsweek that there was no problem with the safes, locks or the mechanical function.

"The safes were produced and shipped in demonstration mode in order to aid the retailers training the customers about the safes. This means that until you program the safe any fingerprint will open the safe. The problems have stemmed from people not programming the safes at all or not programming them properly," the spokesperson said. "The only change will be to the programming of the vaults. The safes will now ship in safe mode and will not operate until a fingerprint is registered. The original 'demo mode' safe and the new 'safe mode' safes will function the same once programmed correctly. We take this matter very seriously and are working to help all customers who reach out to us. This is also a voluntary recall."

Four Gun Safes Recalled in One Day Sparks Warning: 'Ticking Time Bomb'
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/four-gun-safes-recalled-in-one-day-sparks-warning-ticking-time-bomb/ar-BB1iJhaf

This is on top of the previous Fortress Safe recall https://armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=68999.msg1415608#msg1415608
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: More biometric gun safes recalled
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 07:48:51 AM »
Opinion article on Bearing Arms
In a nutshell if biometric locks on a safe can't be trusted what makes them think you can trust biometric locks on guns?

Widespread Recalls of Gun Safes Highlight Issues With Biometric Technology
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2024/02/23/widespread-recalls-of-gun-safes-highlight-issues-with-biometric-technology-n1223957
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 08:30:35 AM »
My question for the Bearing Arms author is why can't these safes be trusted?

This seems like a RTFM issue, not a tech one.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 08:45:36 AM »
This seems like a RTFM issue, not a tech one.

Reminds me of when I sold computers and various home office equipment and electronics. Was scarily common for someone mad to be returning something for it not working and when asked if they did X and/or Y, often things like charge or even connect the battery, they would complain no one told them to do that Whereupon inspection of the box would often show the manual still sealed in it's plastic where step one was connect the battery.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 09:45:16 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes