Author Topic: 68° F tomorrow, Monday, 1PM  (Read 362 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
68° F tomorrow, Monday, 1PM
« on: February 25, 2024, 08:51:39 PM »
Almost STP (standard temperature and pressure), 68° F with the wind falling off the mountains at 44 mph (west) and being heated by the drop to a higher pressure.  Humidity around 35%, no real precipitation for like two weeks, a month.

Almost like summer.  I just hope my nuckleheaded kneighbor doesn't fire up his BBQ grill.  Red fire alert today, probably tomorrow too, but I don't have to check, looking  at those numbers.

The guy has no, zero, null, nada appreciation for the fact that the yard back there is like a firetrap, with weeds, tumbleweeds, newspapers driven against the other side of the chain link fence and dry pine trees. He also flips cigarettes around on the dry grass.  Damned city folk who come out to live in the  country don't realize that when they flip their butts, they don't land on fireproof concrete or asphalt.

Oh, they just announced a fire fire alert on the 7PM news.  Really rare, drawn out to ~4 minutes, must be real bad.

Terry

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.7836&lon=-105.1675&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 02:19:05 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
Re: 68° F tomorrow, Monday, 1PM
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 07:48:11 AM »
68 is about what we should be this time of year - but today, we're supposed to hit 88.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 12:13:00 PM »
68 is about what we should be this time of year - but today, we're supposed to hit 88.

Same here. Predicted to break the record by a full five degrees.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 12:49:45 PM »
Taking a lesson from the global warmenchiks, we can make "scientific" predictions even from a tiny sample.

I refer to the fact that accurate directly measured temperatures from the last, say, 200 years, are extrapolated outrageously to form that infamous "hockey stick" of high temperatures ahead.  Never mind that the last  400,000 years show a fairly regular cycle of climate change, and from that data, it looks like we're at a fairly obvious climate peak and are just as likely to drop into another deep freeze.

Who knows? Call me in 5000 years and I'll let you know.

But since it was 40° yesterday and 50° today, following their logic, by the end of a year the temperature will be 10° x 365 days = 3,650°. Talk about "hockey sticks."

The science is settled.

Terry, 230RN

Edited for housekeeping.

REF: (Vostok ice core data):
https://climateilluminated.com/media/History/Slide4.JPG

The fair regularity of the cycles support its validity.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 03:19:58 PM by 230RN »

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 07:31:30 PM »
We set a high temp record today, by just barely being higher than the temp on this date in 1917.

It's not unheard of for it to be this warm on this day.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 07:35:06 PM »
Let me know when Greenland is green again
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 10:34:09 PM »
And when they have vineyards in Britain again.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 09:39:23 AM »

And when they have vineyards in Britain again.

You won't know because we'll all be roasted by global warming by then.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 05:14:57 PM »
Hit over 80 here today. Second day of red flag warnings. Supposed to drop to the teens overnight with cold front coming in about two hours. I went and got some propane. No way I'm firing up the wood stove until we get some rain.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 06:02:05 PM »
Thank you, wherever you are.  It's amazing how ignorant some people are about fire hazards.  Son2 smokes (I quit in 2017) and I trained him how to be careful about smoking while we were running around the forest.  I cringe any time I see someone carelessly flick a cig away. 

Hint:

Somewhere around I have a couple of pen-sized cigarettte snuffers which are metal tubes like a pen in your pocket with snap caps which would hold (and snuff) two cigarettes.  Similar:

I quit when I realized cigarettes were costing me well over 5 grand a year ($6500 in today's punybucks).

'Druther buy ammo with that.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 06:17:19 PM by 230RN »

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 04:00:32 PM »
St. Louis, MO, hit new records on both Monday & Tuesday - 82 (?) and 86.  The old record for Tuesday, set in 1981 was 79.
Between the 86 Tuesday afternoon and this morning, the temps dropped 57 degrees to 29 degrees with WC in single digits !
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 10:18:15 AM »
^
You'd think things would break from such a thermal shock... <grin>
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 01:22:56 PM by 230RN »