Author Topic: Squatters Should Be Shot  (Read 1068 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Squatters Should Be Shot
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2024, 03:30:03 PM »
i also think that this problem is more geographically constrained than the mess of internet videos makes it appear.  I know in FL, it's pretty hard to evict a tenant, but it's also more difficult to establish "residency" then the stories we are reading about here seem to claim.  A couple pieces of mail and a doordash receipt ain't gonna cut it.

Perhaps NY and CA and a couple other places have swung a little too far towards the "help the poor innocent tenant against the rich old landlord" in their laws and need to dial it back a bit without going all the way to allowing 24 hr notice evictions.

Has anyone looked at how prevalent these situations are, and if they are clustered in certain states, I wonder?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2024, 03:33:45 PM »
i also think that this problem is more geographically constrained than the mess of internet videos makes it appear.  I know in FL, it's pretty hard to evict a tenant, but it's also more difficult to establish "residency" then the stories we are reading about here seem to claim.  A couple pieces of mail and a doordash receipt ain't gonna cut it.

Perhaps NY and CA and a couple other places have swung a little too far towards the "help the poor innocent tenant against the rich old landlord" in their laws and need to dial it back a bit without going all the way to allowing 24 hr notice evictions.

Has anyone looked at how prevalent these situations are, and if they are clustered in certain states, I wonder?
Seems like 99% of the stories I hear about are California or New York.  I have noticed that trend.  I just assumed other states had laws that were not so easily manipulated.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2024, 04:48:55 PM »

It's certainly why I got out of landlording in California. The laws were becoming ridiculously one-sided even back when I was living there. The big corporations could thread the legal needle with their attorneys, but it was getting to the point that individual landlords could get wiped out with one bad tenant.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2024, 04:57:22 PM »
"but it was getting to the point that individual landlords could get wiped out with one bad tenant."

Thats because you slumlords were making everyone else look bad! You should be ashamed of yourself!

Friends of mine have invested quite heavily in rental properties over the years. They have probably a dozen, split between houses and multi-unit apartment buildings.

For the most part he's been lucky, but there's simply no way in hell that I would ever enter into that kind of market in a direct owner fashion as he has.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2024, 05:53:27 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."