Author Topic: Glock Mag Disassembly Sucks  (Read 313 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Glock Mag Disassembly Sucks
« on: March 02, 2024, 10:04:11 AM »
Maybe I'm just a dummy, but Glock makes it kinda hard to disassemble their mags, IMO. I bought a Glock specific mag baseplate for my Mantis X10, which is just a straight replacement for the Glock baseplate with an integrated pic rail. It will only fit on Glock mags, which I didn't know, as I wanted to put it on a cheaper Pmag (I currently have one of the sticky Mantis adapters on a Pmag, but wanted something more stable).

Anyways, it takes me two seconds to take the plate off a Pmag. The Glock mag? Took me three days.  :rofl:

I looked at videos, and tried doing the punch/screwdriver method, but I kept marring the mag without it breaking free of the stupid tabs that hold it in. I was afraid that I was going to break something, so I ordered one of those Otis baseplate tools for the Glock mags. Once it arrived, it took the baseplate right off, but man, I had to apply a LOT of pressure. I haven't taken any of my other Glock mags apart, so maybe the one I chose happened to have slightly oversized tabs or something? I ended up getting pissed and I took the Dremel to it and just barely touched the tabs, taking off a miniscule amount of material, and that made an incredible difference. It still required some good pressure to get the baseplate on and off, but I wasn't feeling like I was going to break something. Like I said, maybe I'm a dummy, since guys in the videos were having good results with a punch alone or punch and screwdriver to force it past the tabs.

Does anyone know why they do those tabs? Is it for some military requirements for some country or other? I get the aspect of having secure baseplates for high speed stuff, but from the videos I watched, it was mentioned that pretty much no one else does this, and other manufacturers have their guns used in high demand settings as well. Plus it seems like if you have to apply that much force repeatedly, you're going to stress the mag and/or wear those tabs down anyway.

Anyway, Ben's complaint of the week.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Glock Mag Disassembly Sucks
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 10:10:30 AM »
I've found it useful to use channel locks to GENTLY squeeze the mag body at the floor plate, then the floor plate should slide off easier
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 10:11:45 AM »
I've found useful to use channel lock to GENTLY squeeze the mag body at the floor plate, then floor plate should slide off easier

I saw that recommendation (also squeezing with your fingers, but those guys must be way stronger than me) but was worried about structural stress.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 10:22:03 AM »
Yes they do suck.  No one knows why those tabs are there, don't question glock perfection.

I use a punch to push the inner plate thing like 2.5" up into the mag, which usually gives me enough slack to squeeze the tabs in and lever the baseplate forward, but it still sucks.  Metal baseplates suck even more.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 11:21:12 AM »
I'll have to try one again.  Once I got the hang of squeezing it, I didn't have much problem.

Except, I've never ever been able to disassemble the one and only Glock OEM 10 round G19 mag I have.  Just does not want to come apart.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 11:35:58 AM »
I have to say that I have never taken the baseplates off of any of the 4 Glock mags I have for my Sub 2K.

But, only two of them may be actual Glock mags. The others may be secondary market.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 11:36:50 AM »
I'll have to try one again.  Once I got the hang of squeezing it, I didn't have much problem.

Except, I've never ever been able to disassemble the one and only Glock OEM 10 round G19 mag I have.  Just does not want to come apart.

10rd 29 mags are a female dog.
When I pulled out the channel locks
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 11:40:35 AM »

If that particular magazine ever gives me problems, I'll just stop using it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 11:44:19 AM »

If that particular magazine ever gives me problems, I'll just stop using it.

Gun came with 3 10 rounders and I wanted to put a pinky extension on 2. Full round house 10mm can be be a hand full in the 29 with your pinky hanging off.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 11:49:15 AM »
While watching the videos, I saw that those Glock giggle sticks can be more problematic as well.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 05:53:29 AM »
Well you are going about it the wrong way you know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdE_cQJXX6I
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 06:54:39 PM »
I was able to change base plates with some G30 mags, but yeah it wasn't easy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2024, 08:42:25 PM »
I did have a laugh one day long ago at some horrible just above freezing mud match. The STI people were disassembling their mags at every stage scrubbing and blowing and wiping.  Meanwhile I am over at a handy mud puddle washing my glockenspiel mags. Some I even took the leftover ammo out of. You mean you clean these things?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.