Author Topic: The Most Popular Attractions in Each State  (Read 311 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Most Popular Attractions in Each State
« on: March 04, 2024, 08:32:09 AM »
Some of them I know, some are unexpected. I've never even heard of the one in Idaho, and I would have thought one of the National Parks would be #1 in Utah, but I guess Temple Square would be something of a "Mecca" for Mormons around the world.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: THe Most Popular Attractions in Each State
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 08:36:00 AM »
First such map that may actually have it right for Kentucky.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
Re: The Most Popular Attractions in Each State
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 09:46:37 AM »
I was still living in Minnesota when they completed the Mall of America and went there numerous times. Let me put it this way - with 400 stores and an indoor amusement park ("Camp Snoopy") for youngsters, I think I spent more money at the new Sears store than in the rest of the mall combined. Yet it blows away everything else on the map, including Times Square, Las Vegas, and both Disneys?

I grew up in Chicago and I'm kind of surprised that Navy Pier (on the Chicago lakefront) is Illinois' #1 attraction - they must be including a LOT of other attractions nearby to come up with that number.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 10:24:41 AM »
I was surprised that Maine is best known for the L.L. Bean store rather than Acadia national Park, but I guess I shouldn't be.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 11:15:55 AM »
Rocky Mountain National Park for Colorado?  I'd'a guessed Pike's Peak.

I wonder if skiing plays a part in the numbers.

Parks are are kind of a waste as far as I'm concerned.  You can't do anything in them but hike and look around and take pictures. There's no real point in just "camping."  Well, I guess they'll let you go fishing, but that's about the most actually woodsey thing that's  permitted besides peeing behind a tree.

Terry, 230RN

Tidbit, auto "racing" (Pikes Peak Hill Climb): https://ppihc.org/

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 11:40:40 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 12:48:04 PM »
Silverwood, Silverwood, that is just nuts. I think it is a lot of repeat visitors from the Inland Northwest. I have friends that live a few miles from there and it never seemed that crowded when I drove by.

bob

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 04:09:48 PM »
Michigander here.

I'm not surprised at all that the Henry Ford Museum is our most popular attraction. What does surprise me is how many people have never heard of it.

I recall a trip to DC in 2015 where I took a guided tour of Ford's Theatre. Someone in the group asked the tour guide where Lincoln's chair was, and he only knew that it "is in a museum somewhere in Michigan".  I filled in the info for him and encouraged everyone in the group to visit. Not a single one had heard of the place.

The museum and Greenfield Village (the outdoor portion of the museum, open seasonally) are probably the best American history collection in existence.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 10:14:07 PM »
Great Smoky Mountains National Park numbers are off, they are pulling in around 13 million visitors a year.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 12:59:11 AM »
As a native Oregonian, I hate to admit I've never been to Crater Lake.  Shame on me.  I've heard it's pretty cool.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 07:55:36 AM »
As a native Oregonian, I hate to admit I've never been to Crater Lake.  Shame on me.  I've heard it's pretty cool.

It's really cool. The water is amazing. I was there on a weekday and I'm pretty sure the start of Summer, and it wasn't even that crowded.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 07:58:24 AM »
Never been to Crater Lake. Looks like a beautiful place.

What I didn't realize, though, is that its maximum depth is just shy of... 2,000 feet! Damn!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 08:03:21 AM »
Never been to Crater Lake. Looks like a beautiful place.

What I didn't realize, though, is that its maximum depth is just shy of... 2,000 feet! Damn!

Had I done a little more research before that road trip, I would have brought my scuba gear with me. Not to go to 2000' obviously.  :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 08:25:03 AM »
Not to go to 2000' obviously.  :laugh:

Not on purpose at least :O
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes