Author Topic: Haiti  (Read 1239 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Haiti
« on: March 04, 2024, 11:54:42 AM »
Excellent example of why I'm glad I live in a free state in a 2nd Amendment country. What a shitshow.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/04/americas/haiti-ariel-henry-gangs-protests-bsap-intl-latam/index.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Haiti
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 11:57:52 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 03:56:46 PM »
I'll take it seriously when they start cross dressing and wearing kapok life jackets to ward off the danger from bullets fired at them!

That country has been near the bottom or on the bottom of the dung heap when it come to crap holes for so long now I am surprised any one is surprised at this type of reporting.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 04:27:42 PM »

That country has been near the bottom or on the bottom of the dung heap when it come to crap holes for so long now I am surprised any one is surprised at this type of reporting.

bob

It's an excellent long time example of international do-gooder "but if we just throw more money their way..." rinse and repeat.

EDIT: I just looked it up, and apparently $13 billion since the 2010 earthquake. Even the NY Times labeled it "a perpetual aid state". The US is sending them $65 million for this current mess.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 04:42:19 PM »
Coming soon to multiple cities in the United States near you...

Oh... wait...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 05:09:17 PM »
Coming soon to multiple cities in the United States near you...

Oh... wait...

We have our problems here, but I've never been to any American city even approaching how bad Port-Au-Prince was when I was there in 1998, and it hasn't gotten any better.  Haiti is on a level with some of the worst cities in West Africa.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 05:14:15 PM »
Not exactly reassuring it can get worse
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 05:21:05 PM »
We have our problems here, but I've never been to any American city even approaching how bad Port-Au-Prince was when I was there in 1998, and it hasn't gotten any better.  Haiti is on a level with some of the worst cities in West Africa.

I'm assuming for work (unless you're one of those extreme vacation guys   :laugh: ). Did you go feet dry, or stay on the water?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 05:49:57 PM »
It's an excellent long time example of international do-gooder "but if we just throw more money their way..." rinse and repeat.

EDIT: I just looked it up, and apparently $13 billion since the 2010 earthquake. Even the NY Times labeled it "a perpetual aid state". The US is sending them $65 million for this current mess.
Q: And how much of that is flowing back here under the table to select individuals?
A: Enough to keep the money train going.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 05:57:07 PM »
Q: And how much of that is flowing back here under the table to select individuals?
A: Enough to keep the money train going.

I seem to recall the Clintons supposedly had money moving in and out of Haiti.

Hold on, there's a knock on the door.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 06:01:57 PM »
I seem to recall the Clintons supposedly had money moving in and out of Haiti.

Hold on, there's a knock on the door.

RIP.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 09:02:57 PM »
I'm assuming for work (unless you're one of those extreme vacation guys   :laugh: ). Did you go feet dry, or stay on the water?

Feet dry. We were delivering "Aid".  I actually had an old lady curse the HMMWV I was in.  Not "swear at", curse.  As in she leaped into the road, cut the head off a live chicken, and painted a symbol in blood on the hood while screaming in...Haitian I guess?  Another language anyways.

I heard there were firefights and everything we had given the locals was stolen before the boat hit international waters, but can't confirm that.

I know some of the guys that were there after the earthquake,  and they tell stories of the outgoing tides washing bodies out to sea as the gangs used the 'quake as cover to kill folks on their *expletive deleted*it lists.

There's a fair bit of Piracy near that island as well.

Overall, it's a really bad place in a way that's really hard to internalize if you haven't been to one of the world's real shitholes.

Baghdad circa 2009 was better.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 08:02:57 AM »

Just wait. We Americans can rise to the top given any challenge. And I'm pretty sure that the Liberals see this as a challenge.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 08:16:39 AM »
Just wait. We Americans can rise to the top given any challenge. And I'm pretty sure that the Liberals see this as a challenge.

A turd on top of a pile of turds is still a turd
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 08:33:14 AM »
A turd on top of a pile of turds is still a turd

No, that is "equity".  According to leftists, it's the mostest wonderfulest thing on the whole wide planet.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 06:47:54 PM »
. . . Overall, it's a really bad place in a way that's really hard to internalize if you haven't been to one of the world's real shitholes . . .
A friend of mine went to medical school in the Dominican Republic during the late '70s and early '80s. To refresh your geographic memories, the D.R. occupies roughly the eastern 2/3 of the island of Hispaniola, with Haiti on the West.

From his descriptions, the D.R. was a crappy excuse for a country (he had a lot to say about the place and the people, none of it good.) But even the people there told him "DON'T GO TO VISIT HAITI, IT'S A CRIME RIDDEN S***HOLE PLACE!"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024, 07:21:51 PM »
A friend of mine went to medical school in the Dominican Republic during the late '70s and early '80s. To refresh your geographic memories, the D.R. occupies roughly the eastern 2/3 of the island of Hispaniola, with Haiti on the West.

From his descriptions, the D.R. was a crappy excuse for a country (he had a lot to say about the place and the people, none of it good.) But even the people there told him "DON'T GO TO VISIT HAITI, IT'S A CRIME RIDDEN S***HOLE PLACE!"

Friend of mine was from the DR. Said the only time it was worth a darn was when the US occupied it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024, 09:16:19 PM »
So... Haiti seems like one of the worst places in the world.

I'm curious as to why...?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024, 09:48:48 PM »
Fun Fun Fun

Heavily armed gangs have tried to seize control of Haiti's main airport after 4,000 inmates escaped prison and started 'massacring people indiscriminately'. 

Shocking videos have emerged of men and women fleeing in fear as shots ring out across the Toussaint Louverture International Airport.

It marks a further escalation in the raging violence that broke out when a top gang leader pushed to overthrow the prime minister, with gangs storming public buildings and the National Penitentiary, freeing an estimated 4,000 inmates.

Haiti gangs try to take control of main AIRPORT and are 'massacring people indiscriminately'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13160995/haiti-jailbreak-gang-prison-escape-inmate-airport-control.html

The gangs have better trigger discipline than some police here
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 10:05:35 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2024, 07:56:07 AM »
So... Haiti seems like one of the worst places in the world.

I'm curious as to why...?
It would be interesting if someone researched and published a book - "Turd World S***hole Countries" - that would look for common factors, considering everything from foreign influence to local religions to resources to governance to demographics. 

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2024, 04:03:33 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2024, 10:11:10 AM »
How long before boots on the ground?

'Haiti will go hungry soon' as looting sparks food shortage crisis and society 'plunges into chaos' - with experts warning 'the country is falling apart' as 'Barbecue' gang leader's thugs take control
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13172445/haiti-barbecue-gang-food-shortage-looting-crisis.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2024, 10:15:47 AM »
It would be interesting if someone researched and published a book - "Turd World S***hole Countries" - that would look for common factors, considering everything from foreign influence to local religions to resources to governance to demographics.

I was scrolling down this thread this morning and thinking 'Wow, Haiti sounds like the very definition of a third world s***hole country', and then I saw this.  Great minds think alike.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2024, 05:52:34 PM »
Speaking as a soldier, I'd be okay with deploying there, as long as the ROE are a little "fluid."
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2024, 06:44:28 PM »
Speaking as a soldier, I'd be okay with deploying there, as long as the ROE are a little "fluid."

Like what?