Author Topic: A hot girl killed Woke?  (Read 295 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
A hot girl killed Woke?
« on: March 06, 2024, 05:22:58 PM »
One of the Things People Are Talking About this week (according to those who keep track of Things People Are Talking About) is that a young, attractive, and well-endowed actress (Sydney Sweeney) hosted Saturday Night Live this past weekend. And that means Woke is over, I guess?

I watched several of the sketches on Sunday, via YouTube, and I wouldn't have predicted that reaction. I'm still not entirely sure I get it. Apparently, from what I'm hearing, Sweeney's career marks the return of the blond bombshell. It's OK to think chicks are hot again. Like, just to think they're hot because they're hot. Not because they're "strong women" or a first minority woman to do ​______, or something.

I would have thought Scarlett Johansson and Margot Robie were filling the blond bombshell role pretty well, but even they apparently don't have - well, they don't have what it takes. I just checked, and Robie hasn't hosted SNL since 2016 - the before time. Johansson, per the internet, has just been showing up here and there to (mis)portray Ivanka Trump. Kate Upton has never hosted, and she doesn't exactly do a lot of acting these days. Still, Kardashian hosted SNL in 2021. I guess it has to be a blond? Or was she too old at the time? I'm still confused. I'm sure there may be plenty of curvaceous SNL hosts that haven't even come to mind for me.

Another confusing aspect to all this is the Fact - the Well-Known Fact - that no one watches SNL, because it hasn't been funny since the Clinton administration. Or at least that's what everyone says. So how did anyone know that Sweeney, and her considerable charms were there to herald the end of Woke?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/boobs-are-back-thank-you-sydney-sweeney/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: A hot girl killed Woke?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 09:52:07 PM »
Woke isn't over, but it is certainly losing popularity.  And I would say some in the media are suddenly finding reasons to criticize it where they wouldn't a year ago. 

But the same CEO's are still in charge.  I doubt it is going away. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 09:55:09 PM »
Dakota Johnson on ‘Madame Web' Blowback: "I'll Never Do Anything Like It Again"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/dakota-johnson-on-madame-web-blowback-ill-never-do-anything-like-it-again/ar-BB1jnvVj

Dakota Johnson made a lot of statements that were low key criticism of the Madame Web movie.  Sydney Sweeney did also.  It is a bit interesting for two actresses to star in a movie that bombed terribly and become more popular afterward. 

"It was definitely an experience for me to make that movie," Johnson told Bustle. "I had never done anything like it before. I probably will never do anything like it again, because I don't make sense in that world. And I know that now. But sometimes in this industry, you sign on to something, and it's one thing and then as you're making it, it becomes a completely different thing, and you're like, ‘Wait, what?' But it was a real learning experience, and of course it's not nice to be a part of something that's ripped to shreds, but I can't say that I don't understand.

"It's so hard to get movies made, and in these big movies that get made - and it's even starting to happen with the little ones, which is what's really freaking me out - decisions are being made by committees, and art does not do well when it's made by committee," she added. "Films are made by a filmmaker and a team of artists around them. You cannot make art based on numbers and algorithms. My feeling has been for a long time that audiences are extremely smart, and executives have started to believe that they're not. Audiences will always be able to sniff out b*******. Even if films start to be made with AI, humans aren't going to f****** want to see those."
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 11:20:40 AM »
Woke isn't over, but it is certainly losing popularity.  And I would say some in the media are suddenly finding reasons to criticize it where they wouldn't a year ago. 

But the same CEO's are still in charge.  I doubt it is going away.

Noticing lately a little, just a little mind you, bit of criticism against the asinine idea you can't be racist to white people.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 11:50:15 PM »

(she's probably too old for him)
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden