Author Topic: Door Dash - what to do?  (Read 396 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Door Dash - what to do?
« on: March 06, 2024, 07:44:49 PM »
Came home from work at 6:00 p.m. and saw a white bag on the front door stoop. I wasn't expecting anything from Amazon, so I was naturally curious.

Turned out to be a Door dash delivery, from 12:xx p.m. Somebody's lunch didn't arrive at somebody's location. No address on the receipt, no phone number, and the only name is "Katy M." Not very helpful. I don't whether to eat it, throw it out, or hold it for a day or three and see if someone comes looking for it.

The Door dash driver certainly didn't get a tip for this delivery. What happens when katy M. complains that she didn't get her lunch? Does the driver have to make up the cost of the order?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Door Dash - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 07:57:14 PM »
That happened with neighbors.

They called Door Dash, told them what the order was, and DD told them to eat it or throw it away, their choice, and no cost to them.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 08:31:48 PM »
The two times my Doordash hasn't sh8up in a reasonable time and I complained on the app I got a full refund in minutes.  I assume the driver ate the cost of the meal, but they might have some recourse if it's not their fault either.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 10:11:56 PM »
The two times my Doordash hasn't sh8up in a reasonable time and I complained on the app I got a full refund in minutes.  I assume the driver ate the cost of the meal, but they might have some recourse if it's not their fault either.

Dunno how this could NOT be the driver's fault. If he/she/it/they followed GPS, they had to know what street they were on. I'm in [what used to be] the country, so every house has a mailbox, and my mailbox has brand-new numbers on it. The driveway is almost 100 yards long, so the driver definitely turned into MY driveway, drove all the way down it, and then walked to the front door.

And got no answer when he/she/it/they knocked or rang the doorbell (which doesn't work). That should have been a clue right there, since the oder was at noon time so a reasonable person would expect that Katy M should have been eagerly awaiting her lunch.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 07:00:13 AM »
So what was the order?

And if it had been sitting on your steps for 6 hours, I can't see that the quality would have been much for anything other than tossing it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 08:36:45 AM »
So what was the order?

And if it had been sitting on your steps for 6 hours, I can't see that the quality would have been much for anything other than tossing it.

It was a cool, rainy day. The temperature on the doorstep was just about the same as the 40 degrees in my refrigerator.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 08:49:53 AM »
So you were at that point where you were considering pulling a George Constanza (lite)  :lol:

I for one would give it the go ahead. Good food shouldn't go to waste.. think of the children.. in Africa.. yeah
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 08:56:33 AM »
Maybe the food is OK. MAYBE.

I wouldn't eat food I didn't order dropped at my door 6 hours earlier by someone anonymous.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 10:42:52 AM »
What to do?  Eat or toss, judgement call.  No point in trying to find who it was supposed to go to.

I came home one day to about $40 of McDonalds order on my doorstep.  Grandkids snarfed most of it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 10:47:42 AM »
Maybe the food is OK. MAYBE.

I wouldn't eat food I didn't order dropped at my door 6 hours earlier by someone anonymous.

Call me a boomer or whatever, but I have been biased by too many youtube videos of what the current crop of delivery people do to ever want food delivered, even if there was delivery where I live. There's a little family owned restaurant the next town over looking to expand their delivery, and if it wasn't for the food getting cold by the time they got to me, I'd maybe consider them, since they hire local kids.

Otherwise it seems like there's too many things you can do to piss delivery people off nowadays, from not tipping enough to using the wrong pronouns, that the possibility of spit in my food is too high to take a chance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 10:52:26 AM »
Neighbors have a door dash delivery at least once a day often two.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 11:18:58 AM »
I've not had food delivered in years. When I was having food delivered, I knew the delivery guy. He was the son of the owners of my absolute favorite Chinese restaurant, AND he delivered in his Porsche 911.

Guy had style. :)

I've never gotten, nor would I really ever consider getting, delivery through Door Dash, Grub Hub, etc. First off, I'm a cheap bastard and I really don't want to pay a delivery fee, a service fee, a fee fee, and a tip on top of the price of my food. Hey, I ordered a $5 smoothie and with all the fees it's $27.50! What a deal!

Tuesday I had an incredibly long and annoying day at work. I boarded Seren and was thinking about dinner. Absolutely didn't feel like cooking; I didn't even feel like getting take away to bring home. I just didn't want to deal. So I went to the IHOP near my house and, for the first time in probably a couple of years, dined in solo.

Pretty decent hamburger at the IHOP, by the way.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2024, 11:37:36 AM »
First off, I'm a cheap bastard and I really don't want to pay a delivery fee, a service fee, a fee fee, and a tip on top of the price of my food. Hey, I ordered a $5 smoothie and with all the fees it's $27.50! What a deal!

I'm not a cheap bastard and blow dough on all kinds of frivolous stuff, but the above crosses my line too. Convenience is not worth paying double or more. Again, boomertime, but I long for the days where you order pizza, there's no or a minimal delivery fee, and you just give the driver five or ten bucks depending on the order. If I'm paying what the pizza cost to get it to me, no thanks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 11:54:28 AM »
We've had that issue twice in the last year or so.   Figured it was an order for the next door neighbor so I shot him a message.  Both times turned out it wasn't.   Not sure who the food was actually for, but it ended up going in the bin.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 12:50:04 PM »
It's been many years since I've needed to, or been inclined to, feed myself abandoned food.
For that I am grateful.
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 01:32:55 PM »
"I'm not a cheap bastard..."

What, you're just a bastard, then?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh hell, I shred through cash on stupid stuff, too.

But doubling or tripling the cost of a basic food item just because I'm too lazy to either cook or drive to get it myself?

That is not going to happen.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2024, 02:15:43 PM »
Abandoned and misdelivered food are two very different things.

Abandoned food is something that someone literally didn't want and is trash. Might be good, but not be good.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2024, 02:47:44 PM »
Otherwise it seems like there's too many things you can do to piss delivery people off nowadays, from not tipping enough to using the wrong pronouns, that the possibility of spit in my food is too high to take a chance.

One hopes it would just be spit.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2024, 02:49:25 PM »
In this case the food was physically half way between the trash can and the dinner table. It's a coin toss.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2024, 03:17:21 PM »
As a restaurant inspector, we were taught that anything from 40 to 120 degrees should be considered "spoiled" if the total time elapsed was 4 hours or more.  It does NOT have to be a straight 4 hours but a total of 4 hours.  That is why things like potato salad or coleslaw at a summer picnic are the prime suspects at a summer cook-out if there is an outbreak of food poisoning.
And, in this day and age, food from an unknown source could have "added ingredients" (THC, opioids, etc.).
Pitch it.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2024, 03:24:53 PM »
Be willing to bet those that order through Door Dash the most are also those who complaint the most they can't afford a house.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 05:51:52 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2024, 05:45:15 PM »
Fast food sitting on the wrong porch for hours with no chain of custody?
I am grateful to be able to categorize that food as "abandoned food".
7-11 was a part time job.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2024, 05:55:59 PM »
Guys, the local drug dealers do NOT pass out free samples.

The untouchables who deliver the doordash to the privileged usually use GPS systems which are... not that great. First, you have the privileged person (just ordered a single McDonalds frappe...) who Knows What They Are Doing, and who inputs their address (while driving, and talking on the phone, and smoking a little herb on the way home...) and then you have the driver, who probably also can't pass that drug test, who delivers to where the GPS tells them, no matter how messed up. Like "the other end of the strip mall" which doesn't have a sign that says "O'Reilly Automotive" which is the top line on the order address...
Blog under construction