Main Forums > The Roundtable

"Fallout" on Amazon Prime

(1/9) > >>

Ben:
Amazon Prime is doing a Fallout series starting next month. While it could be good, from the teaser, I can't figure out if it's serious or a comedy. It also bodes to potentially being drowned in wokeness. I'll give it a go when it premieres, but if there's even one work thing in the first episode, I'm out. I just don't have the time or desire to sit through that crap anymore.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12637874/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_5_nm_3_q_fallo

Brad Johnson:
Saw the commercial. Never played the game, but the commercial seems to indicate it being decently entertaining. I'm with you on the WQ (wokeness quotient). I'm done with that mess.

Brad

dogmush:
I like the Fallout games, but I'm not a lore junkie, so I won't be picking this apart with weaponized autisim.

They get a free two or three episodes out of me just from Walton Goggins.  I love that guy's acting.  after that it better have a decent story and some decently written charectors.

RocketMan:

--- Quote from: dogmush on March 13, 2024, 11:00:27 AM ---They get a free two or three episodes out of me just from Walton Goggins.  I love that guy's acting.  after that it better have a decent story and some decently written charectors.
--- End quote ---

Same here.  I really like Goggins' acting.

dogmush:
Bringing this back up because the series dropped and I watched the first wo episodes last night.  My thoughts:

Coming from the games:  I played Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4.  Multiple run throughs of 4.  There is definitely some lore that they got wrong, as the folks online were saying about the previews.  The biggest seems to be that the NCR is nowhere to be found so far.  I didn't really love New Vegas anyways, so it doesn't bother me that much.  They ripped Megaton off kinda wholesale from Fallout 3, and the Prydwen from fallout 4 (which was supposed to be a one of a kind airship if I remember the game correctly).  But for all the lore tweaking I think they got the feel right.  The vibe is certainly there, and is helped by the music which is a mix of the music from the games, and some real life old timey music.  (Heard some vintage Man in Black in there)  So if you like the feel and aesthetic of the games I would say don't worry too much about every detail lineing up and just enjoy this entry in the game.  There were also some Bethesda gamer fan service Easter eggs which I enjoyed.

Acting: Acting was passable to good.  The two "main" characters are OK.  Ella Purnell pulls off the earnest rube passibly.  I thought she was better in Arcane, but there's room for development here.  I don't know much about Aaron Moten, and his charector is giving me strong "Finn from force awakens" vibes.  That's not neccessarilly a bad thing as Finn had a lot of potential in Force Awakens and was done wrong in the follow on movies.  Hopefully Fallout let's this character grow.  There's some supporting cast that are solid professionals and turn in good performances (Kyle MacLachlan, Michael Rappaport, and Michael Emmerson). Walton Goggins, as predicted, is a gem.  Every scene with The Ghoul in it is fun too watch, and he brings all of his charisma to the part.

Two episodes in I can't say much for the Story or writing yet.  The story is still forming up.  Episode one was all back story and the inciting event, and episode two was a lot of setting the world and expectations.  The barebones of the story is a basic young person on quest to dangerous world to save someone with a side of overarching Mystery they will Discover along the way.  How well they pull it off remains to be seen.  I was happy to see that they let their "Strong Female Character" tm get her ass kicked when the story needed it, cast diversity works within the world they are creating, and they have not beat the story into subservience to "The Message" as Critical Drinker would say.  I'm sure if you went looking for woke points you could find some, but you don't have to look, and they don't slap you in the face.

So far, it's fun to watch, doesn't piss me off as an average level of nerdy fan of the games, and pulls off the Fallout vibe well IMO.  I will watch more episodes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version